• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bloody X-mas parties...does it end?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Cripes!:mad:

Last Wednesday, we had a a Christmas get together. Thursday evening, our "informal" office party. Gong show. Great time.

Tonight, "informal" party for the GF's work. I'm wearing a tie. This sucks.

Tommorrow morning, X-mas brunch. Then, a X-mas dinner with GF's brother and wife because they won't be here at X-mas.

Tuesday, GF is having her girlfriends over for a chatty cathy X-mas gift exchange. Needless to say, I'm houseless from 7-12.

Wednesday, GF's "official" office party. Dinner that evening as well with family friends that live out of the country.

Thursday afternoon, "official" office party for us, of which I've been named organizer. Awesome. Thursday evening will be a long one.

Friday, x-mas party with friends. This is after beers with the guys at the office.

Saturday, dinner at the GF's parents place. Many drinks to accompany.

Sunday, X-mas. Dinner at my father's place.

Anyone have a spare couch I can catch some sleep on from Boxing day onwards?:D

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Boxing Day is a time for shopping, not sleep!

Actually, that's not true, I like to shop FS online as of 12am EST on the 25th.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rock, you had better explain Boxing Day to the yanks... they don't have such a day down here. They call it December 26th here in VT ;)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Sounds like Rock needs a hug. And after all the alcohol, Rock will need a sponsor>:D :biglol:

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is true. Last night I shut it down after 2 beer. Yep, 2. My liver has been calling out in agony for some time.

Plus, it was super foggy and the party was out of town. :D

No Boxing day in the US? WTF? Actually, If I had any clue of what Boxing day stood for except standing in line at shopping malls to get something that you really don't need.

Actually, I've found that the second and third week of January is where the deals really start to roll. That's when retailers start to get in new models for the next year. Then, all the stuff people paid 60% more for just a few weeks earlier gets blown out.

I've bought our TV, the stand it's on, our reciever and my golf bag that way.

Chumps. December 25th. You'd think you'd learn and jump on board my January 23rd "unofficial" Christmas date.:D

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I thought you said Jan 15?

And I believe Boxing Day comes from an old tradition of putting shit out on the stoop in boxes...maybe for chairty or something?

From some Govt of Canada site:
The day after Christmas, the Feast of St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, is better known as Boxing Day. The term may come from the opening of church poor boxes that day; maybe from the earthenware boxes with which boy apprentices collected money at the doors of their masters' clients.

Nowadays, we often see, in certain families, gifts (boxes) given to those who provide services throughout the year.

"Boxing Day" is listed in the Canada Labour Code as a holiday.

And from Snopes:

The holiday's roots can be traced to Britain, where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Reduced to the simplest essence, its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or durable goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.

Wow...I was right for once!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Hey, as long as they offer free Beverages, I can deal with the people. Although, My work "Christmas party" a few years back was on February 2nd, and renamed a "holiday function" so the company could save money. This I had a problem with, and did not attend. Why not just have it on March 17th to make everyone happy.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Thinking more about it, I just now realize that most of the management did resemble domesticated Groundhogs.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rock, thanks for reminding me why I like being self employed and living hundreds of miles from either of our families. For the next two weeks I'll barely work and attend exactly no Christmas parties. Life is good.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online