• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blow-up Hole

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've been hitting the ball well lately, and my short game has really come on. But I get one f#*$&%++!!!!! hole that kills me for a good score. This weekend I had a 42 on one 9 at my course with an 8. The next day I had another 42 on the same 9 with a 7 and a 6. Today, (on Bridges for the Wisconsin guys) I had a 4 on #1 (Par 4), a 7 on #2 (Par 4), a 4 on #3 (Par 5), a 5 on #4 (Par 4), a 3 on #5 (Par 3), a 5 on #6 (Par 4), a 4 on #7 (Par 3), a 4 on #8 (Par 4), and a 5 on #9 (Par 5) for a 41. Another blow-up 7 killed me. :killersmiley:

Jimc11

Jun 25, 2009
The first time I had a chance to shoot in the 70's I took a 9 on hole 18 for an 81...I have blow up holes every round I play...this is the main reason I dont shoot in the 70s...there is always a 7 or 8 on my card keeping me in the low 80's...most of the time it is because I am stupid and think I can pull off a shot that I just cant. when I caught baseball my dad would tell me it was the thinking mans position...and it was...but he would follow it up with "But you arent smart enough to think, you need to react and go with your first instinct" This used to annoy the crap out of me..but I have found he is right...I am not smart enough..I have found if I have to wait for someone to clear that I think to much and try crap I shouldnt...where if I look at it once, grab a club, and take a hack at it I do much better...

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I feel your pain. Today I was 2 over through 15. Dunked my tee shot into the hazard and made a triple bogey 7. Finished with a 76... which is still good... but man!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hitting a bad shot is to be expected. It is what you do from that point. The red mist decending invariably leads to mental errors. Trying to make up lost ground, hitting the hero shot, the "one in ten" chance of pulling it off.

Sometimes when you drive it into rough, behind a tree, you just accept a bogey, rather than trying to hit an almost inpossible recovery. You put yourself in a smart place to minimise damage. You lose one shot, not two or three.

When you hit it OB, switch clubs. Too often I have seen guys whale a driver OB and then hit almost exactly the same shot again, again OB.

When you have an important shot to a tight pin, aim for middle of green, rather than take the risk of an exceptional shot. Middle of the green means you still have a birdie chance, rather than risking a six.

When you stand over a shot, ask where the danger is and then play accordingly. If the danger is short (eg deep bunker) take an extra club. And vice versa if long.

Most golfers have the ability to make birdies or pars on most holes. But they also have the ability to make 8 thinking about trying to make that elusive birdie.

Play smart and within yourself.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I know what you mean sssmokin, my last round I played the front 9 at 5 over for a 40. Then started the back 9, par, birdie, birdie, double bogey. The next hole was a dog leg LEFT. My natural shot is a fade. Smart move would have been to lay up into the dog leg, wedge on and try for a birdie. Oh no, I grab the driver and try to clear the dogleg. It requires a 260 yard carry drive, over a 2 story building and fence. While I have seen it done, and have even accomplished it myself, once, barely, I wasn't as fortunate this time. Ball inside the fence, drop, card another double. The round went to $hit from there from being pi$$ed at myself for even trying that shot.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Hitting a bad shot is to be expected. It is what you do from that point. The red mist decending invariably leads to mental errors. Trying to make up lost ground, hitting the hero shot, the "one in ten" chance of pulling it off.

Sometimes when you drive it into rough, behind a tree, you just accept a bogey, rather than trying to hit an almost inpossible recovery. You put yourself in a smart place to minimise damage. You lose one shot, not two or three.

When you hit it OB, switch clubs. Too often I have seen guys whale a driver OB and then hit almost exactly the same shot again, again OB.

When you have an important shot to a tight pin, aim for middle of green, rather than take the risk of an exceptional shot. Middle of the green means you still have a birdie chance, rather than risking a six.

When you stand over a shot, ask where the danger is and then play accordingly. If the danger is short (eg deep bunker) take an extra club. And vice versa if long.

Most golfers have the ability to make birdies or pars on most holes. But they also have the ability to make 8 thinking about trying to make that elusive birdie.

Play smart and within yourself.

Great advice. I've actually started applying this in my game. When I first started, I would always try and make the hero shot, etc... Now, I focus on trying to get the ball back in play. It has helped tremendously. But being a 20 capper, I still have a couple blow up holes each round. :D

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Played Evergreen in Elkhorn today with WBL. Had a 7 on the front and an 8 on the back but still broke 90 for the first time. 89. Jerry noted that my iron play has improved a lot in last two years. Can't wait to get back out there and try again.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I was playing pretty well Saturday until I got to the 17th hole, a long uphill par 5. Hit a great drive, and then toed my 4 wood. Ball went maybe 50 yards, at a 45° angle. Went over to the rough, hit the 4 wood again......this time perfect. Still had 100 yards to go. Wedge to back of green, downhill putt. 3 jacked it. :(

I was so pissed off that on the 18th I toed my 3 wood off the tee.

Jeez.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Used to be a couple years ago I could get ejdahl21 every time because even though he drives the ball consistently well over 300 yards he would get himself in trouble and his irons and short game wasn't good.

Now, his drives were mostly straight down the center and over 300, his irons were on or just off the greens. He's chipping great and not putting too bad. If there's any place I've got a chance anymore of getting him it's in the putting but mine was horrendous again today. :unhappy:

BTW, Indacup checked his ss at the Milwaukee Golf show and he was hitting up to 126 mph so anyone who disbelieves his distance needs to see it. He was 75 or more yards beyond me on every driving hole today. Of course on a few of those holes I did tie him for score.... :)

I doubt if I'll ever be able to beat him again... :(

But I'll keep trying!! :D

Final note... my two worst blowup holes today were caused by that POS R9 460 that will never be in my bag again. I hit the G10 straight down the middle for the most part.

OP
sssmokin

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
The trend is continuing...............played "Bridges" 9 on my home course yesterday...........par, birdie (tough no.2 hole), birdie on par 5 3rd, .......parred both Par 3's...........both are tough...........but in between took three double bogies, and ended up with a 41. Just one bogie, 2 birds, and 3 pars.......but those three doubles that screwed me up. The day before had a 42 on "Bridges" with two 7's. Very frustrating.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I hear ya man... seems there's always that one hole that just shoots my score up.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
IG gaive great advice. To go with his play the shot you know you can hit advice, I'd like to add the maxim: "Never follow a bad shot with a worse one". Once you've made a mistake, don't do some that is just plain stupid behing it.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't hit hero shots from time to time but, you've got to be able to actually pull them off; not just **think** you can pull them off. Don't try shots that you haven't practiced before.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Not sure this is welcome, but they are not blow up holes! Hypothetically, if you were a scratch golfer and you shoot a 4 over round and carded an 8 on a par 4, THAT is a blow up hole, otherwise you are playing to your handicap.

This game is very penile, a 3 or even 4 over for a hole is not that uncommon to have every round for most everyone.

🔥 Latest posts