• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blow-up Hole

OP
sssmokin

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, I never claimed to be a scratch golfer.........but when I'm playing well and everything is working as well as it can............I can hit in the high 30's. And these blow-up holes are not because I try to hit hero shots..........I don't. If I have to play for a bogie I do rather than get in more trouble. But I'm just frustrated by some unbelievable bad breaks that happen on those big blow-up holes that screw up a good score (for me). e.g.: ball hits sprinkler head on front of green and kicks right into big trouble.....etc etc. I'm not asking for advice. Slickpit gets what I mean. I'm just venting.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, I never claimed to be a scratch golfer.........but when I'm playing well and everything is working as well as it can............I can hit in the high 30's. And these blow-up holes are not because I try to hit hero shots..........I don't. If I have to play for a bogie I do rather than get in more trouble. But I'm just frustrated by some unbelievable bad breaks that happen on those big blow-up holes that screw up a good score (for me). e.g.: ball hits sprinkler head on front of green and kicks right into big trouble.....etc etc. I'm not asking for advice. Slickpit gets what I mean. I'm just venting.

I know exactly what you mean Sssmokin. We all have those days, those holes. And venting does seem to help, :laugh:

If only for a little while, until our next round!!!!!!!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I hear ya George, the rd can be going along fine & then all of a sudden you get a hole where you are topping the ball or hitting it fat. Can't hit a fairway wood to save your life either. A hole or sometimes 3 later it magically all reverts & you are playing fine again.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Well in that case, just understand that you've obviously gotten on the bad side of the golf godz and they are punishing you.

OP
sssmokin

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
gwlee7 Re: Blow-up Hole
<hr style="color: rgb(226, 225, 234); background-color: rgb(226, 225, 234);" size="1"> Well in that case, just understand that you've obviously gotten on the bad side of the golf godz and they are punishing you.
I swear that's got to be what it is.............LOL.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I got that beat...

2 of the 4 courses I run through my rotation.. 1 of them I consider my "club".. They both start out with par 5's.. Front AND Back starting holes are Par 5's.

I can rope a drive on ANY of those 4 holes.. The second shot, will always be a hybrid into the green, or even a lay up. As all 4 are over 560, depending on tee/pins.

I will jack up my second shot.. ALWAYS. ALWAYS... The second par 5 is fine, but guaranteed, my second shot of the day, is a hybrid, and will be a huge miss, usually costing me another stroke, lost ball, or simply loud cursing. :)

How do you get past that blow up? I know it's coming everytime!!

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
I agree with 295Yards....I am a bogey golfer for the most part...15 handicap, but dropping. I will have a triple bogey or two every round. If it happened once out of every 5 rounds, then I'd call it a blow up hole. But those 7's and 8's on par 4's will happen. Instead of worrying about how many "blow-up holes" you have, try this:

Out of all your shots on the course, take away any tap in putt, say inside 4 or 5 feet, and count all of the shots you consider a "good" shot versus your "not good" shots. Try to improve that ratio. Those blowup holes simply mean you make a few "not good" shots coincidentally on the same hole. It's something that I try to keep up with often on my score card.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Blow up holes almost always include statements like:
1. "Here, hold my beer and watch me hit a high fade over that tree"
2. "It's only a 160 yard carry over the water"
3. "If I hit a 7i punch under that tree, it'll hit into the side if the hill and bounce onto the green"
and the ultra famous...
4. "I just need a little bit extra to get there"

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Blow up holes almost always include statements like:
1. "Here, hold my beer and watch me hit a high fade over that tree"
2. "It's only a 160 yard carry over the water"
3. "If I hit a 7i punch under that tree, it'll hit into the side if the hill and bounce onto the green"
and the ultra famous...
4. "I just need a little bit extra to get there"

Famous last words of many a Redneck and good golf scores....

Hey Ya'll, watch this !

295yards

May 5, 2009
I think this is actually a factual statistic: For every lucky break you get on the golf course you get 10 unlucky breaks.
I'm not trying to deter you from venting, just to put some perspective on things. Every stroke is counted and this game is very penal. 3 or 4 over on any hole sometimes is not so bad. It's good you are able to bounce back and shoot some pars and birdies after.

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
That's a very good point, I have been able to do pretty well lately with that. If I three putt from 10 feet or so, I'll be irate with myself. However, by the time I'm on the next tee box, I have forgotten about every shot I have hit so far.

🔥 Latest posts