• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Boiler Differential question.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
It can be tough to find a competent tech. And your right if a gomer set your system up wrong they'll try to limp it along as long as possible.

What have you had done to the boiler and boilermate?

Just a cleaning?
I had the boiler mate added when we moved in, and with the setup for 2 zone (and probably because of the aquastat maybe), there seems to be a question that the boiler mate should make the call for the low end. Then I would be able to drop the low side down to 0* and let the boilermate or the heat do the call to fire it up. Although some of the people that came out said it is not really wired to do that properly and don't seem to know what it would entail.

Hence saving money. Maybe I should just drop the low end down and see what happens. The only other service was cleaning and replacing the coupler on the pilot. Which after watching the cleaning, I now do that myself. I think I am just done with them, as even on the cleaning they charged me the normal rate, although he was training another guy how to do it and it seemed like it likely took him twice as long. Although he didn't realize he was also training me how to do it in the process.

One of my golf buddies has a cousin that does this kind of work, and the next time he comes out I am going to have him look at it and see what he thinks should be done if anything. Also having him estimate for central air. So between the central air and the work I am going to have done in our basement (kitchen, bathroom, etc) the old one basically shot themselves in the foot by being greedy and not really giving straight answers. When they tried to bill me for the last to things, I talked to the owner and told him I never had a problem paying a higher rate because they would get things done well, and quick but now it seems like they are not only charging more but having to also pay for their mistakes. I figure they do have a good emergency service setup, so that may likely be the only thing I will ever use them for again assuming the new people I find don't offer the same.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I had the boiler mate added when we moved in, and with the setup for 2 zone (and probably because of the aquastat maybe), there seems to be a question that the boiler mate should make the call for the low end. Then I would be able to drop the low side down to 0* and let the boilermate or the heat do the call to fire it up. Although some of the people that came out said it is not really wired to do that properly and don't seem to know what it would entail.

When you say 0* do you mean letting cool off completely if no one calls for hot water or heat?..The only problem with that is it would take while to get hot water if it cools down too much, And there is a warming process that boilers and water heaters and the such go throw that some say causes undue wear...Expansion and contraction..etc.

although he was training another guy how to do it and it seemed like it likely took him twice as long. Although he didn't realize he was also training me how to do it in the process.

quote]

Done this myself. works well..

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
When you say 0* do you mean letting cool off completely if no one calls for hot water or heat?..The only problem with that is it would take while to get hot water if it cools down too much, And there is a warming process that boilers and water heaters and the such go throw that some say causes undue wear...Expansion and contraction..etc.
Didn't think about the warm up time in going from 0* to the warm up point, but that makes alot of sense and not sure it is something I would want to deal with over how it currently is set up.

Watching people do their work is something I have always done, because I have always been fairly mechanically and technically inclined. Plus I have a pretty good head on my shoulders in knowing if it is taking any kind of risk. Kinda like when I did the basement, I didn't want to touch the electric, and after watching them do it, it is still not something I really want to get involved in doing in the future. Although cleaning the boiler and even similar issues with our propane fireplace seemed pretty clear cut and do save me a bit of money by doing it myself.

Kinda like I used to do all my own work on my cars when I thought it was worth the money saved, but wouldn't touch the brake pads because I did want to live with the idea that if something happened it may not turn out pretty. Or with the boiler, where I am getting familiar with it enough, but asking around, watching and doing a little research is always important before doing so.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Was searching around and found this site.
Boilers - Steam and Hot Water Systems - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Seemed to get a little more on the information I was looking for and thought I may post the site in case anyone had similar questions. Seems to be a vast array of topics.

Thanks for the info Monte, and Dave, good luck on any future Snow Rodent expeditions. If you get no snow this year, maybe you could use a Ice Crusher and then turn them into snow cones afterwards.

Reading it, I get the impression what I was talking about was a cold start setup, which has pluses and minuse, but the more logical choice seems to be turn the low down to 140-150 and the Diff at 20-25. Seem like it was up in the air on savings by raising the diff but if nothing else it will have fewer cycles. Have to play around with it a little.

Thanks Again!!!

Members online

No members online now.