• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bomb into the wind

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Yesterday I went out and fought the storm we had here in chicago. The city course (marovitz) really clears up and is "playable" when there is shady weather.

Anyway, I was finishing #7 and the group waived me through on #8 tee. I got up there and realized that I didn't have a tee in my pocket. I found a chunk of tee laying there and used that. I had it tee'd up probably 1/4" less than usual. I kicked my back foot out a bit to try and play some top spin/draw since I was hitting into the teeth of the wind. I absolutley bombed one down the center around 290 yards. Longest drive of the day and into the wind. I might be on to something with my tee height.

It was definitely not as pretty as my high fade, but it rolled forever. I think this ball flight is a lot longer.

what ball flight do you guys play?

low/high fade or low/high draw?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I play a high draw. My ballflight is high draw with all my clubs is high, same with my driver.

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I can't intentionally hit a draw with a driver. But I still try.

So when I set up with the ball teed low, back in my stance a bit, with my right foot dragged back about 4 inches, I end up smacking the best and straightest drives.

Pretty pathetic, actually.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
For me its a slight draw, sometimes getting away to a hook. At sporadic, random times i can get a fade going

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I play a high push, straigh ball flight that is 3-5* to the right of my target line at address. It gives me about 295 in carry and consistant trajectory. For an example of what I mean look at Fred Couples swing the club about 95% of the time. It is effortless and it generates tremendous club head speed. Tee the ball so that 1/2 the ball is above the crown and swing so that the bottom of the club just barely misses the ground at impact. Then just watch them fly.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I can play a draw no problem but I prefer to play a fade when I can. I just can't control a draw from accuracy stand point as well as a fade. When I hit a draw with a driver Its a big sweeping power draw that moves a good 30-40 yards and then hits very hot and rolls out. I can't hit a little draw on demand with my driver when I want to. I can just control a fade a lot better with all my clubs and with my driver I can play a power fade that moves left to right just a little and it is still long.

I would think when you tee it low it would create more spin and be bad when you hit into the wind.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Low low draw is my ball flight generally. Super low is the constant, draw can sometimes straighten out from time to time. Driver is always teed down low though, get a better strike off it

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I tee it up medium height, I can hit a mid trajectory slight draw. But if I want to bomb one out there, I tee it up high and swing more upwards and launch one high and straight or a slight fade.

🔥 Latest posts