• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Boomerang Putting System

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
http://www.boomeranggolf.com/
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I received the Boomerang today. Arrived in great shape, I set it up and played around with the depth dial. I hit about 50-60 putts and will use it more during the next week and post a review.

First impressions:
I bought this mat about 4 years ago:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ageBucket=0&parentPage=family&searchId=712272
and it has been setting in my basement for about 3 3/4 years because it is basically a bulky pain in the butt. Based on first impression I would definately buy the Boomerang over it in a heartbeat and the old one will be going in the trash if I can even find it. The Boomerang is much smaller, very portable, and I like the ease of slope adjustment which the old one does not have as well as how true the ball rolls. My other first impression is that I like how narrow the matt is on the Boomerang, it really gives you visual feedback on how you stroke the putter because it is not terribly larger than the putter head and you can more easily see how you bring the putter back and follow through. Also, unlike my other one, the matt which is attached on the old one, is really hard to work out the creases, and the ball would react differently on the slope, the main reason I never use it anymore. This is definately not a problem on the Boomerang. The key is probably how well it keeps my interest, because all in all it is a superior product for a similar price range, that returns the ball well and rolls true.

Anyways, I will test it out and post a more thorough review in the review section after I try it out

Thanks!
I have tried this out for the last week or so. All of my original observations stand. I would simply add that for the price range I would find it hard to beat. I have not received the DVD, but will update the review when I do. The mat rolls up nicely and stores in the LR closet with the system. It is very compact and unrolls nicely and putts true upon unrolling the mat. By adjusting the slope of the Boomerang you can practice anything from fairly short putts to longer putts. The system returns the ball nicely and to the same range of whatever putt you have set it up for based on the slope of the device. You can gauge the depth of the Boomerang easily to capture the ball for all type putts. However, if you change from longer to shorter putts by adjusting the slope you must dial the hole to capture the ball. For longer putts you must dial a deeper cup for it to hold the putt, if you switch to shorter putts, you must dial it back. It will do as advertised and return both golf balls if you tap it out, but again, for longer putts it requires that you dial in the cup to a deeper depth. So my observation, and due to my laziness, I select one setting and if you have it set for say a shorter putt the ball will return on longer putts even if you hit the hole squarely. I personally set it up to trap and return for longer putts and if I am practicing shorter putts it will usually trap both golf balls. You can do it either way. I do not view this as being a bad thing, but simply need to tap it out if I trap a second ball.

Would I purchase this to practice putting at home at the price range indicated over similar priced options? Certainly, it is far better than the other devices that I owned or tried, I am yet to find the one in my basement to throw away. It is compact, stores nicely and is easy to set up to practice. With my experience with the one I previously purchased I doubt I would have purchased this one simply because of my past experience and would have simply stuck to my home carpet, however after using this it is certainly something I would consider at the price range and although my previous one has been unused for about 3 years I can see that I will certainly take advantage of this one and doubt that it will find it's way into my basement storage anytime soon. My old one was bulky, the mat was attached to the end of the slope and really gave you no idea if a bad putt was due to the mat, the slope or your putting.

Simply put, it easily allows you to practice any type putt from 3 feet up to 20 feet (by adjusting the slope of the Boomerang) on the mat that returns the ball nicely. The ball rolls true and gives you a nice gauge of how you are stoking the ball. There is no "disturbance" when the ball hits the slope, which is very nice. Although the Depth of the cup can be dialed in to any of the distances, I am not sure I would fully use this feature and would instead set it to one depth based on what I most frequently practice and then can get a simple idea of where I stand on all other distances when I change the slope. From an addictive game standpoint on being able to return the ball and seeing how many I can do in a row, I am not sure that is what I was looking for, but it certainly gives you an idea on how you are putting, and further provides a nice visual on the stroke that you are taking due to the width of the mat. At first I viewed this as a possible downside and thought the ball may run off the mat on the way to the device, but after using the device I am convinced that it is a positive feature.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Putting Guru said:
Have you played a round since you've had it?
I have played a few. 3 this last weekend and 2 the week before.

I wouldn't be able to say with certainty that this "changed my game", or cured any problems. I have always been of the impression that any putting practice and repetition regardless of the device or nature will help your putting game. This device certainly allows for that option, and allows you to take alot of strokes in a row without losing focus on your setup and having to reset alot. I certainly am able to take a lot more strokes prior to my back hurting, which usually becomes a problem after about 1/2 hour regardless of number of strokes, since I lean over so far.

This certainly came at the right time for me. I had been having issues with my putter, which is my original putter, and thought about replacing it due to recent feel and performance, although after trying about 20 different putters for several hours, I found none that would make me part with my own. After realizing that, I removed 1/2 of the weight I had put under the gripto counter balance it last year due to cutting off 1 3/4" a while back so that I could feel the putter head more as that seemed to be the main difference between mine and the store model, and went back to the original grip. After doing so, my first 4 rounds were 32, 29, 26, and 31. At that time I received the device which really allowed me to get used to the changes in the putter, which seemed to be the most important thing because of the weight and grip change. I have only had one round that was above 30 (my last round), which was at course that I do not usually putt well. I also had a 25 putt round, which would have been the first in a while, and I certainly feel like I am putting like I used too when I was at my best a couple years ago. All this while the chipping, and GIR's have remained relatively the same.

So again, I can't say for certainty that it will better improve your game over say the putting green, but to me that has always been a different type of practice. I practice on the green to better evaluate greens and greens speeds on longer putts, and lag putting. I practice at home mainly to find a comfortable, repeatable and sound stroke and practice my shorter putts. I can't say with the uttmost certainty that it lowered my putting average, as that was obviously on it's way back down after the putter change, although practicing with the changes was a key. So I wouldn't say it "changed" my game, but it certainly allows you to concentrate more on your technique, repetition and practice without distraction. It also allows me to practice maybe 50-75 strokes in the 1/2 hour before my back becomes sore and I lose focus, where on my carpet I would maybe do 20-30 for the reason of having to retrieve my ball. The old device, I would usually have to retrieve 1/2 the balls anyways even though it had a return. So to me that is obviously a positive.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
My Boomerang Putting system arrived a few days ago so I figured I would post a review.

Firstly it's a quality piece of kit, it has managed to survive being stood on a couple of times now. So wear and tear arent likely to be a problem.It also can be stored easilly and is easy to setup.
Unfortunatly its annoying because it's simulates a lag putt ie the ball only just gets to the hole, which I have never done I like to run the ball into the hole at some speed eliminating some break.So after Putting on it with my normal putting style i was in a mood because the ball would roll into the hole and come straight back to me after what looked like a perfectly good stroke.
Although saying this it works brilliantly to grove my putting stroke and practice putting when the weather is bad.
So overall this product is useful and worth buying if your and inconsistent putter that has the time to practice, it is perfect.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I also recieved my Boomerang Putter System last Monday.

I plan on posting a full, thourough review of it to be posted on the front page of the site. I plan on being honest, open and not hold anything back.

I'll give you a sneak preview, which may come as surprise to some of you here that know my opinions on this "gimmicky shit":

:canadafla

More to come in the next few weeks...

R35

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
It looks interesting.

Personally though wouldn't buy, as I would only use it as a game. I think while it may help with getting your stroke consistent, it neglects issues like break and type of grass, things which can only be learned with practice on a real green.

Still, hope it helps with your putting, or at least to pass the time between rounds.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The Boomerang helps with your stroke and distance control. No putting aid is going to help you reading different grasses, and getting practice on reading breaks requires a fairly large area. The Boom is perfect for distance control and rolling putts on line. If you are hitting your putss off line, the Boom will tell you. I have found the Boom useful for comparing my different putters and how they work with my putting stroke. You really learn where your flaws are and which putters work well with your stroke.

The game aspect of the device is an added bonus. I enjoy the challenge of the trap and release game. It keeps me on the device and prevents any boardom from setting in.

If I had not won one, I would have bought one. If mine were to get stolen or broken (I can not see this happening as it is built so well, but with 5 dogs in the house anything can happen) I would buy another.

Speaking of dogs, the Min Pin pictured with my Pro Platinum can be a bit of a pain when I have the Boom out. The other day I was putting on the Boom and took a break to grab a snack. When I returned, my two golf balls had disappeared! Lance decided that he needed the golf balls more than I did and would not return the one he was keeping in his mouth. He brought that ball outside and I only got it back when he dropped it to go bark at a bird in the yard.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
ualtim said:
The Boomerang helps with your stroke and distance control. No putting aid is going to help you reading different grasses, and getting practice on reading breaks requires a fairly large area. The Boom is perfect for distance control and rolling putts on line. If you are hitting your putss off line, the Boom will tell you. I have found the Boom useful for comparing my different putters and how they work with my putting stroke. You really learn where your flaws are and which putters work well with your stroke.

If I had not won one, I would have bought one. If mine were to get stolen or broken (I can not see this happening as it is built so well, but with 5 dogs in the house anything can happen) I would buy another.
Pretty much my thoughts as stated earlier.
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
So again, I can't say for certainty that it will better improve your game over say the putting green, but to me that has always been a different type of practice. I practice on the green to better evaluate greens and greens speeds on longer putts, and lag putting. I practice at home mainly to find a comfortable, repeatable and sound stroke and practice my shorter putts.

And prior to receiving the device, I probably would have sworn that I would never buy another putting mat style aid, although I would at this point. The main reason would be simply for the adjustable slope that allows you too take a more fuller stroke without dinging up the trim in my Living Room. More important is something I mentioned earlier which is in my opinion the most overlooked feature. That being how narrow the mat is, and serves as a valid visual that you see many people mentioning similar things to provide the same aid. That being seeing your club path.

After having this now for about a month, I would not say that I practice my putting too much more a week than I did in the past on just my carpet. Although I still feel the time is better spent with this device, and allows for more thorough practice.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Since Jayhawk beat me to a review, I'm gonna do a bit of praising and venting at the same time. As many of you know, I'm not one to praise "aids" for golf. My philosophy is getting out there and hitting the ball. But I will offer some insight below on this thought.

The Boomerang works. It plain works. It helps with alignment and provides a good understanding of the stroke (with help from the CD included with it) and the fundamentals of good, sound putting technique.

After using it for 4 straight days, I instilled a stroke that I felt comfortable with, even approaching the "records" that the system quotes on the little card inside. I felt confident going into my round last Thursday.

I easily had my best putting round for this early in the year, bar none. I made 3 or 4 outside 20 feet and 2 over 30. Everything inside 6 foot was money. This leads me to beleive that the Boomerang has some merit.

Now my critique.

I strongly believe that the best way to learn to putt and read greens, grass, slope, wind and moisture levels is to hit REAL putts. This only makes sense. Now had I practiced an hour a day on a real green versus the Bommerang, would I have putted worse? Better? The same? I'm betting the same. Practice makes better in my opinion, and the Boomerang can instill the stroke one needs to properly putt the ball.

However, it doesn't give much feedback in terms of break, speed (downhill vs uphill), grain or uneven surfaces. All of which are ESSENTIAL to being a good putter. The stroke is a big part, but not all of it. You aren't going to make squat if you can't read break or grain, even if you put a good stroke on the ball. This only makes sense.

I will give the Boomerang 4 out of 5 because of these Pros and Cons:

Pros

-allows you to practice your stroke at home when you don't have the time to get to the course. This is a problem for alot of us. 15 minutes a day is all it takes.
-small and easy to set up. No dinking around, which I like. The simpler the better.
-CD contains video that accurately illustrates in laymans terms how the putting stroke works. I wasn't really buying the "face balanced putter" thing, but that's a personal thing.

Cons

-no feedback for uphill/downhill putts
-doesn't help with reading break, grain or wind
-run carpet takes a while to smoothen out when new
-it isn't "real" world putting

No I know some of the above may be petty and harsh, but I'm a firm believer that the only way to get better at this game is to play. Practice helps, but hitting real world putts help you understand more about your game and the game itself. The Boomerang is an aid that will instill a proper technique, just as a pitcher throws a ball or a basketball player makes a free throw. But practicing the motion without real world results isn't going to guarantee success.

Would I recommend this? Yes. With reservations, but yes, fully.

How much would I pay? $20 maximum.

Am I going to continue to use it? Yes, as long as Guru doesn't need it back.

I'll follow up in a month with another long term review.

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This sounds kind of interesting. So it is $39 USD and only available through the manufacturer??

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Rockford35 said:
It helps with alignment and provides a good understanding of the stroke (with help from the CD included with it) and the fundamentals of good, sound putting technique.
I chose not to comment on the portion of the technique mentioned on the CD related to alignment and follow through. Although I feel it is valuable, most of the allignment technique is something that I already concentrated on with every stroke. It is very sound fundamental with the sight line and one that some current day putters (2 bar comes to mind) are created around. I feel there is very good merit to the extended follow through for distance control, although distance control has always been a strong point. This is also something that I do to a degree, although as far as I lean over the ball, trying to "race" the ball the entire distance to the hole is not something that I can do without actually bending my right knee forward. I actually played around with this by using a more upright, conventional stance. It is much more easy to accomplish, although I would not consider changing to a more upright stance. I can only align my putter all the way to the whole by either bending my right knee or moving to within 4-4 1/2 feet of the cup, which is about 1/2 the distance of the mat.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Bravo said:
This sounds kind of interesting. So it is $39 USD and only available through the manufacturer??

Putting Guru was cutting us a deal. Check out some of his posts to find the details. I forget if it was in the Worst Putters Wanted thread or a seperate thread.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I bought mine through the Boomerang website and paid $39 USD for it. I tried it out last night for about 30 minutes. Took awhile to get the cup adjusted but I finally got it where I wanted it. FPAJayhawk is right about needing different depths for different length putts and I am going to leave it at one depth....

I like the product. the fact that you can stand there and hit putt after putt after putt is great. And you are aiming at a golf ball target vs a hole target when trying to knock a ball out of the cup. So its kind of like reducing the size of a football goal or basketball goal in terms of making your eye sharper.

The only person I could play with would be my 15 yo daughter. I tried to get her into golf a couple of years ago and failed. So I think it will be a solo deal with me.

I am going to leave it set up in my living room and try to putt on it several times a week. Hope it helps as I like it better than anything else I have tried so far...

🔥 Latest posts