• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bored, looking at irons

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
There is nothing wrong with my irons. Really. The problem is my swing. Really.

Mah, screw it. I think I need new irons. Looking for something soft, with a slight offset and thin to moderate topline. Players cavity look, but with as much game improvement as they can jam in there. Feedback for mishits, but not the punishment. Forged is not a must. And I would like something different than I have had. Heres my had list:

Cleveland: TA5, TA7, TA7 Tour/TA2 combo, CG4 Tour (best I've had, wish I still)

KZG: Forged cavity, Forged ZO

Titleist: 690mb (dogs)

Tourstage: Z101 (wish I'd given them a better shot)

Candidates right now: Cleveland CG2 (cheap!), Mizuno somethin' (MP-52, 57)

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Why did I put this in classified? Mods, please move to equipment.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Unrelated, but I heard that song that sounds like "Gimma some rooooombas!" Very, very funny, having known you and read your tagline first. I even sing along, "Gimme some-a roooooombas!"

Oh, and look at the Nickent 4dx Pros.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Adams A4 Forged are just an outstanding looking iron. I saw them for the first time in person a couple weeks ago and actually had a look around to find a set as a backup. The Tour version has less offset and thinner soles, but the regular A4's are very, very sweet in their own right.

They get my vote.

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I will second the CG2 set. I don't know if they are considered forged or cast being that they are that CMM but they are the SOFTEST irons I have ever hit. I put a set together for my buddy with Project X 6.5 flighteds and if the damn shafts weren't so stiff I would never have let them go back to him.

The topline is nice, not to chunky and same with the overall look, very much player's look with plenty of Game improvement. That and they can be had for less than $150.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Rock and I must be distant cousins.....I'll second the Adams Idea Tech A4's. Ive played them all season and really like 'em. They are cast/forged and forgiving, but if you blade one on a cold day you'll know it. They set up nice with just a tad of offset. If you get a set I'd go with the 4 iron instead of the hybrid.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd say Adams or Cobra both have what you looking for..

AP2's might be a ticket as well.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
This thread hurts, I'm in desperate WANT (unfortunately its not NEED) for some new irons.

Plenty of options that I've been looking at.

Titty AP2's, Cleveland CG4's, Mizuno MP-33's, 57's, 30's (Pretty much any Mizzy MP line), Adams A4 Tour's and I would kill for a set of Bridgestone J36's but no lefties (discriminatory bastards).

I've even considered pulling the trigger on a set of Tommy Armour V-31's or Hogan Apex's. If any of these sets popped up in 2* upright and 1/2'' over standard, so that I didn't have to do any work on them myself, I'd be all over them like a rash.

Damn you Clug!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Lefty... I'll keep my eye out bud. I come across an atomic ton of lefty gear in the PGA stores I frequent. I think there was a set of MP-30's or maybe it was some 33's.. I think they were $350, with 20% off. I'll check if they are still there.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Lefty... I'll keep my eye out bud. I come across an atomic ton of lefty gear in the PGA stores I frequent. I think there was a set of MP-30's or maybe it was some 33's.. I think they were $350, with 20% off. I'll check if they are still there.

Wow, $280 for MP30's or 33's, sounds like a great deal. Are we talking new or used? I know you guys have got access to some cheap stuff but thats crazy.

If you want those models off the rack here in Australia your looking at at least $120 an iron, if not more.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
LeftyHoges;336513 I've even considered pulling the trigger on a set of Tommy Armour V-31's Damn you Clug![/QUOTE said:
Friend of mine has played V-31's for at least 10 years. They set up really nice, are forged, and can be had for less than $100. Great clubs.

I want to try something new, but I know in my heart the CG2 or CG4 tour would be really good for me. I'm more of a sweeper, and those irons have a sweet spot that is really low on the face. Plus, they are super soft for a cast club. I love that material.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Mizuno or Bridgestone, cluggers. I've played both (MX-23's and J33cb's) and loved both sets. If I were going forged, these would be my top 2 contenders manufacturer wise.

I also love my Ping's, and feel they're better for my game. Always wanted a set, and probably won't change for a while.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Friend of mine has played V-31's for at least 10 years. They set up really nice, are forged, and can be had for less than $100. Great clubs.

I want to try something new, but I know in my heart the CG2 or CG4 tour would be really good for me. I'm more of a sweeper, and those irons have a sweet spot that is really low on the face. Plus, they are super soft for a cast club. I love that material.

V31's are cast. V25's are forged.

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Lefty,

Callaway Pre-Owned has 25% off lefty handed clubs right now!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.