• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bought a 64 degree wedge

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I was in Play It Again Sports the other day. I've been saying I wanted a 64 just for $hits and giggles for quite some time. well, they had some off brand, NEXT? Anyway, they had them on sale for $14.99 so I figured, WTH?

Talk about a Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde club. It is possible to hit some amazing shots with, I can freak my playing partners out, be green side, just off the putting surface, and take a full swing. They are expecting the ball to fly 50 yards over the green, then the ball flys straight up and lands 4 feet past the pin, then backs up to within 2 feet.

But..........., omg, talk about an evil club when it wants to be. This thing is SUPER easy to blade/hit thin, when that happens the ball will skid across the green and end up who knows where.

Will it earn a spot in the bag full time? That one is still way up in the air. I'll have to eliminate the bladed shots, or at least dramatically reduce their number. But in the meantime, I'm having a blast fooling around with it.

How do you make the degree symbol, I used to know how to do it?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

;)....

R35

PS...it's ALT+248 on the numeric keypad for a PC. But the asterisk works just as good, IMO.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Mine does alt-0186.... Just like this º. alt-0176 makes a smaller degree sign like alt-148 °. º° Unless alt-0186 is used for something else. Aw, never mind....

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
I've almost completely stopped hitting my 60 degree because of inconsistent trajectory and contact, can't imagine a 64

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have been thinking about picking up a 64* as well, my 58* just doesn't do what I need it to do around the green sometimes, and the added loft could be helpful. Glad to hear someone else who isn't on tour picked one up and was able to make use of it at least somewhat. Keep us posted on how it continues to work for you.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have been thinking about picking up a 64* as well, my 58* just doesn't do what I need it to do around the green sometimes, and the added loft could be helpful. Glad to hear someone else who isn't on tour picked one up and was able to make use of it at least somewhat. Keep us posted on how it continues to work for you.

Try finding a 58* with a heel relief grind. That way, you can open it up for a flop and not take a spot away in your bag.

R35

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have one already. I actually did the grind custom myself, but you still just can not open up a 58* like you can a 64* or even like I used to open my 60*. Opening up the face means you have to open your stance even farther with a lower loft which changes swing plane, and messes with your consistency. Just my $0.02. I have an extra spot in my bag as I have overlap between my 2H and 3i so dropping the 3i would be no biggie.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
That club would pose a little too much risk for me hitting full shots. I rarely hit my 60° full as it is :p

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I don't know what I would do without my 60*. It's so versatile, I can hit low hook chips that run out or I can lay it open to about 75* and hit it straight up. It is my crutch, I couldn't play without it. I can only think of 1 circumstance where I would like to use a 64*, and that would be when if I was short-sided and needed to hit a high shot off of a tight lie. That way I could play it off my back foot without using the bounce for clean contact.

D2Doug

Jul 29, 2011
recently added a Mizuno 60 degree grain flow forged wedge to my bag with True Temper DG Spinner shaft, not mastered by any stretch yet, but working on it. Those quad cut grooves stop the thing on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

🔥 Latest posts