• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Boycott Ping

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Hooah, sssmokin.

I thank you, and if you're ever down in Augusta, GA, golf and dinner is on me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Jeez sssmokin, thanks man. Come out here and I'll take you and your brother out and we can play together!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Canada has an active military of 98,550 vs 2,369,239 for the US. Saves you a big buck not having to spend alot on military because we're here to cover you.

But Canada has 30,000,000 people and the US has 300,000,000. That means 0.3% of our population is in the military as compared to 0.7% of the US's population. Not all that far off.

As far as spending money, let's have a look at that:

United States: $441.6 BillionUSD

Canada: $CAN$13.9 billion ($12,461,234,899.86 USD)

That equates to $141,000 per every Canadian soldier and $186,000 for every American soldier.

Being that our GDP is around 1.3 trillion, and the US's is around $12.54 trillion, you guys don't spend a whole helluva lot more than we do, per capita.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Interesting. But you have a huge land mass to protect so maybe we'll ship about 1/3 of our population up to Canada. Especially the newest members just arriving from Mexico....:D :D

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Three points:
1) Ping is in their right and I understand brand name recognition and protection, but just like EXXON and their $13 billion quarterly revenues it chaps me more than anything else.

2)I think it is very interesting how an imaginary line drawn on a map can make me any different from anyone else.

3)Ssssmokin - for about two years of my life I was completely engrossed by books and information on vietnam. I've live in the jungles of Guatemala for two years as well, and all I can say is thanks to you and people of your caliber that is the closest I will ever need to be such horror. Thank you.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks for all the kind words, Guys. You're the best. I'm just very proud of the fine young men and women of our Military and the tough job they have to do, for all of us. They're the "cream of the crop" in my opinion, and do NOT deserve to be classified as "killers". The killers are terrorists who don't care if it's women, children, old people, puppies, kittens, or WHATEVER they kill, as long as it instills FEAR in people. Our troops are defending the WORLD from them. The media, as it successfully did in Vietnam, insists on trying to turn the public against our Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen. Fortunately, we learned from Vietnam, and it hasn't worked this time. There........I'm done now. LOL. Ping, YOU SUCK!!!!! :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
When you shoot a person, wat do they do? DIE, they killed them. i dont care if your doing it for the right reasons, if you are, congrats, but you still kill ppl. As i said before, Canada doesnt need America to protect it because nobody wants to bomb us. Friends of mine have been all over places like iraq and all that, and have heard wat they think of us, and you. You are the devil to them, canada isnt even in their minds, they do not care about canada because canada isnt the world's dictator by forcing other countries to do as they do. Thats called being a hypocrite.

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
After reading this, i feel dirty for using a ping putter, perhaps i should give in and get a new one...

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
When you shoot a person, wat do they do? DIE, they killed them. i dont care if your doing it for the right reasons, if you are, congrats, but you still kill ppl. As i said before, Canada doesnt need America to protect it because nobody wants to bomb us. Friends of mine have been all over places like iraq and all that, and have heard wat they think of us, and you. You are the devil to them, canada isnt even in their minds, they do not care about canada because canada isnt the world's dictator by forcing other countries to do as they do. Thats called being a hypocrite.

TORONTO BOMB PLOT

Wake up sandpiper3! Here is a snippet from your very own CBC News:

"We are a target because of who we are and how we live, our society, our diversity and our values," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said.
"Their alleged target was Canada: Canadian institutions, the Canadian economy, the Canadian people."

On Nov. 13, 2002, Canada was named as a potential target for attacks in an audiotape attributed to Osama bin Laden. Security officials had been warning since then that it was a matter of "when" and not "if" Canada would be attacked.

Read the whole article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/toronto-bomb-plot/index.html

PS. Last time I relaxed was Sept. 10th 2001... don't get too comfy sp3.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
PS. Last time I relaxed was Sept. 10th 2001... don't get too comfy sp3.

Trust me Hangfire, im VERY COMFORTABLE. and VERY RELAXED. One thing for me, they wont bomb anywhere near my town thats for sure. Its really easy to relax up here also because we grow the best weed and have the best beers;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Regardless of how out of line I believe your comments to be, perhaps if you address my previous response it will show that you are not just jumping in and spouting off to make a personal statement of your political views. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before, and stated my opinion on a level that did not single out the military and simply put it in a perspective of popular opinion.

I'll make it even simpler, your further comments further prove my disgust with Ping. Since you failed to address my comments from a non-military perspective, I will now put it in a perspective that you may show interest.

You seem to be a 1 in 20 minority (maybe more)that has an axe to grind with the US Military, the other 19 are distgusted with Pings exhibition of lack of marketing judgement to the point that they will no longer purchase the product. If 95% of Pings customers feel they made a terrible decision in marketing their product, to the degree that they lost 95% of their business, are you really going to stand by them as making a wise marketing decision simply because they had that right? Come on, don't let your political agenda cloud your judgement, it is quite apparent that is the case. I think I was the only to respond to you from a marketing standpoint and not a military popularity standpoint, and you didn't even acknowledge the response. I did it for a reason, to see if you were making blanket statements and making a political statement, or really interested in the Ping Controversy. So far I think my thoughts side on "Blanket Statements"

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

Once you have matured a little and shed some ignorance thru life and education, you will realize the important role the United States is forced to play on an international stage. I felt similarly as you (not as extreme) when I was younger.

Having lived in the US for the past 5 years has heightened my respect for it's role as world police. It's truly amazing how the US evolved into a superpower compared to Canada especially since they were both colonized around the same time. I suppose Geography has something to do with it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts on this subject.

But, i'm going to step in here and take hold of this. The topic is Ping and it must get back to Ping or I'm gonna close this thread down.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. And no one is correct.

Except that thing about Canadian beer, it's the best. :D

Back to Ping, please....please and thank you.

Ping sucks.

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I work in Strategic Marketing and I can tell you now, there will be senior executives in Ping that are very worried right now.

Yes they have a strict distribution strategy. yes they have to enforce it, but the lengths they appear to be going to seem a monumental judgement in error.

The Ping brand has been synomyous with quality golf equipment since the mid 60s, first with putters, then irons and laterally woods. http://www.clickgolf.co.uk/golf-tips/golf-manufacturers/history-of-ping.html

They have doen a very good job at keeping the brand status and equity and made some smart business moves over the last few decades.

Yes they undoubtedly review their distribution network, shake a few branches occasionally to weed out the underperformers, and that is probably what has happened here, with the smoke-screen thrown up that they are binning them for giving out free balls or discounts to the army etc. But they appear to be massively arrogant to think that they can hammer this home with no comeback. But this negative PR must be hurting them. Maybe only in the short term, but people have longer memories.

How many of you have now "dumped" Ping in your next purchase decision. The armed forces thing may feel irrelevant to Ping except that buying decisions are affected by emotions. And this has stirred up a hornets nest.

I agree with FKA. Let's keep this to a business discussion please!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well said IG. I would be VERY interested in watching a sales "curve" for the last six months of this year. I hope it drops like a stone. You don't dump dealers who helped get the company started. Didn't karsten teach his son anything?

🔥 Latest posts