• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Breaking My Tee with my drives...good or bad?

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
SO I was thinking, I break my tee every drive....is that good or bad? what does it say about my swing?

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
depends on how the tee's stuck on the ground.

try this next time you're out: loosely put the tee on the ground. i usually push the tee deep into the ground and pull it up to desired height. if you still break the tee instead of tee popping out, then you're hitting down (or at least not up) on the ball.

of course if you have 3" tee and stick 1.5" to the ground, then it's going to break most likely.

so if you only put 1/4" and still breaking the tee, then perhaps put the ball forward and try to catch the ball at level or on a up swing. this is difficult for me as i've been known to have neg. angle of attach. even then, i still don't break tees that often. only when i use longer tees.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah the only reason I can see for breaking a tee is taking a 3" tee and having 1.5" of it in the ground.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I use 2 3/4 tee's...I break my tee on every drive......I dont have a problem with that because my drives are fine.

I have a buddy who uses a extremely long tee. He uses the same tee all 18 holes. He barely sticks it in the ground, its more of a balancing act.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I started using Epoch tees a couple years ago. They are really strong and stable so I rarely break them except in a very hard tee box. When I hae a really hard tee box I'll do the "press the tee down then pull it back up" thing to loosen the tee in the tee box. Seems to help keeping the tee in one piece.

They do sometimes fly a good distance though so I lose more that way than I break... :laugh:

Unless I lose one I can usually use the same tee for 3 or 4 rounds.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
If youre breaking tees, chances are youre hitting down on the ball, which isnt a good thing when hitting driver.
If you are hitting up on the ball, you usually wont break the tee.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't think you can tell a darn thing from breaking a tee or not. I've busted it 270 and broke a tee as well as not broken it and hit one 40yds. right. Doubt it has to do with hitting down on it because a lot of times I don't break a tee with a 3 or 5W and I definitely hit down on those. If anything, breaking the tee could be a good thing. That means you hit the ball high on the driver face, which is good for almost every driver and the bottom of the driver hit the tee. If you think about it, I don't think you can hit a ball off the top of the face and not hit the tee. I have little white marks on the face of my Superquad down bottom from tees. I have a +3-4* angle of attack and under 2K spin at 106. Can't get much more optimal than that.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
:laugh:
Using Zero Friction tees, if I break one tee every 3-4 rounds it is an accomplishment. Broke my first of the year today and it was only after hitting two poor tee shots in a row and broke it between my fingers.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Sometimes I break em & other times I don't. Sorry but that's not really any help I know. Today I probably used driver 10 times & didn't break a single tee, in fact I used the same crappy ole wooden for every shot.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Buying replacement tees is the least of my worries. I buy em 200 at a time. :wow:

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Same here, a big ole bag at Wally World is dirt cheap.

We picked up a bag last week, then found a full bag in the house from last year. There's literally hundreds of them in my bag and Wife's van. Why worry about if a tee breaks or not? I doubt it's an indication of anything. The Walmart tees, which seem to made of pressed sawdust or something, bend, crack, or just the head gets clipped off.

Kevin

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
We picked up a bag last week, then found a full bag in the house from last year. There's literally hundreds of them in my bag and Wife's van. Why worry about if a tee breaks or not? I doubt it's an indication of anything. The Walmart tees, which seem to made of pressed sawdust or something, bend, crack, or just the head gets clipped off.

Kevin

I agree. The Wally world tees are made from Balsa wood, Birch or something soft. They break easily. Makes me feel SO POWERFUL.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'd be worrying about more important things.. :D (And I break wooden tees on every shot but rarely zero friction tees)... :thumbs up:

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'd be worrying about more important things.. :D (And I break wooden tees on every shot but rarely zero friction tees)... :thumbs up:

The G10 really does the job eh????? The clean-up hitter??

I can't wait to destroy a tee with THE HAMMER. POW---SNAP

🔥 Latest posts

Members online