• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bridgestone e5+

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So over the last year or so... I've been trying to find an alternative to my beloved ProV1x. Mainly because of the cost. I've tried most everything I can think of and nothing has come close. So I decided to give the e5+ a shot... had never really played one.

So I bought a dz. and we had 71 degrees on Saturday! Off to the course I go! First hole.. first swing... 3 wood off the tee. Piped. Not bad... nice feel. Didn't really notice a difference from the ProV... distance seemed comparable. So far so good!! Fast forward a few holes... looking at 130 into the wind. OK full 9-iron. Very nice ball flight, hits and spins back about 2 feet. Not really close to the hole I should have knocked down an 8-iron... but anyway the ball checked up nice. So far so good again! Next hole... short par 4. Good tee shot, laying 80 out.... hit my little half pitch/punch SW I like to play.. skips once and checks nice. Didn't have QUITE the side-spin I expected but overall not bad. So far so good! Next hole... approach shot pulled a little left. About 4 or 5 foot off the green, too shaggy to putt. Pull out my 50*(pretty much do most all my chipping with this club if I can). Clean contact, hit my "landing zone", skip once... roll... roll... roll... whoa hey... roll.... roll... roll.... sh!t.... Next hole, rinse and repeat, exact same thing. Time after time I would chip up, hit my landing area... and just watch the ball sail on by. Dammit! I had such high hopes too!

So anyway... after 2 rounds... it's back to hold trusty(and old damn expensive.) Overall the e5+ performed pretty well. Full shots and pitchs where you can generate some clubhead speed it's pretty decent. It's just the short stuff around the green that makes all the difference. I could NOT get that damn ball to check on short stuff. I'm sure I could play a higher lofted club... but then I get to chunking the ball and get really inconsistant. So I've resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get away from the premium balls. Oh well :prop:

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Wait till you see the price of the new 09 ProV1. They are now gonna be about $50 a dozen. No thanks. They are good but not $50 good.

saki

Jan 25, 2009
or learn to chip and pitch with the E5+. It may be as simple as moving your hands further down the grip and the ball a little forward; make sure the hands lead through the swing and the hands remain dead.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
You should get some Top Flite D2s since there is no difference between them and a ProV1.;)

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
You cant expect a midrange ball like the E series to spin like a premium ball. Try the B330/B330S/B330 RX.
The B-Stone E5+ is more comparable to a Titleist NXT Tour than a Pro V1.
Im with Fisher on the price of the new Pro V1. $50 a dozen??? No thanks. I'll play B330 RXs (at about $40 a dozen) before I play Pro V1s.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
You should get some Top Flite D2s since there is no difference between them and a ProV1.;)

For $3.74 per box I can deal with a d2 that doesn't act exactly like a Pro V1. And I would venture to say a large percentage of us here can't utilize our clubs well enough to even need a Pro v1.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Have you tried the e6, i think thats bridgestone's mid range 3 piece ball. i like them alot, better around the greens than the e5 I would imagine, nice and soft.

I am also going to give the Wilson Zip a shot. $20/dz and 3 piece construction. If I don't like them they can be my backup water balls.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I would venture to say a large percentage of us here can't utilize our clubs well enough to even need a Pro v1.
Amen to that. Its just that people see the pros playing that ball, so they somehow think its better, not realizing that a ball which spins like crazy isnt the best thing if you dont hit the ball solidly every time.
Have you tried the e6, i think thats bridgestone's mid range 3 piece ball. i like them alot, better around the greens than the e5 I would imagine, nice and soft.
Those are nice balls too. Ive also heard great things about the B-Stone TreSoft and the Precept U-Tri Tour.

mattyboy

May 11, 2008
get some Top Flite D2s since there is no difference between them and a ProV1?

Huh? I'll take that V1 on a 110yd pitch shot when I want to stick. Also the Pro V is a magnet to the hole when putting. Get real dude....

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Our shop has the E5's on special, not sure but I want to say like $20 a dozen or so. Is that a decent price for new E5's?

🔥 Latest posts