• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bridgestone e5

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I picked up a dozen e5 to check them out after reading some pretty good reviews. I was a little bit skeptical of them since they are a lower priced 2 piece but I had some store credit and figured, hey why not. My normal practice / mess around balls are v2s but I would prefer playing a practice ball that plays more similar to One Tours to replace the v2s with or even dethrone the One Tours as my true "gamers".

It was really hot and no one was out on my course so I was able to take my time and play an e5 side by side with a Nike One Tour.

Off the tee I averaged 10-15 more yards more with the e5. The launch of the e5 was more high with a little more roll than the One Tours. The trajectories were very different as the one Tours are more boring in nature and it could be my imagination but on perfect drives I can almost hear the ball travel through the air. The e5 tended to be more prone to side spin off with the driver than the One Tour, I think this is a byproduct of it being a 2 piece. A big draw swing with the e5s produced a much taller and more active draw than I am used to but was easy to compensate for after the initial shock.

Irons did not show much in the way of difference in length once again the e5s were noticeably taller compared to the more boring One Tours. As firm as the greens are this time of year I was not expecting too much in the way of stopping performance. I was pleasantly surprised with the e5s though in this respect. They had a little more run out than the One Tours on long irons and with short irons / wedges the e5s did check and backup but not as far as the One Tours. The e5s performance with wedges was not at One Tour levels but was significantly better than Gamer v2s.

Around the greens the e5 had decent feel but the run out on pitches and chips was much closer to gamer v2s than One Tours. The feel off the club face was not bad but nowhere near the "buttery" feeling of the One Tours. I did not test these balls enough in this respect to go much further in depth, Sorry I hit a lot of greens today and in hindsight I should have chipped around a little more :(

The e5 putts well and has a little firmer feel off the face and a slightly more audible click. It would be hard to tell one from the other based off the feel alone.

All in all I am enjoying the performance of the e5s and will not be picking up v2s again anytime soon. I find the Tour Ones to be a better ball because of the short game control but for practice, scrambles, and other specific conditions the e5 could be equal if not better.

This weekend I am playing up in the Sierra Nevada with my girlfriends family. The greens up there are in great shape such that I am a little weary of playing the One Tours for fear of backing up off the greens, again :( So I figured the combination of high altitude plus high launching ball while still having a urethane cover should be interesting.

john

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
First of all, you are comparing a 2 piece ball with a 4 piece. Not a good pair to compare. Also, is Nike coming out with a new ball or are they just having a hell of deal? I thought they were normally $40+/dozen. Global Golf is selling them for $26.99

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Good review.

Every ball is longer than the One Tours. They are soft, yes, but I can't hit one out of my shadow. I am still trying to lose 2 more sleeves of them.

OP
johnnymo

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
First of all, you are comparing a 2 piece ball with a 4 piece. Not a good pair to compare. Also, is Nike coming out with a new ball or are they just having a hell of deal? I thought they were normally $40+/dozen. Global Golf is selling them for $26.99

"I picked up a dozen e5 to check them out after reading some pretty good reviews. I was a little bit skeptical of them since they are a lower priced 2 piece but I had some store credit and figured, hey why not. My normal practice / mess around balls are v2s but I would prefer playing a practice ball that plays more similar to One Tours to replace the v2s with or even dethrone the One Tours as my true "gamers"."

Could I have compared it to a gamer (I know they are 3 pieced) or some random 2 piece ball that I doubt I would ever play? Sure, but than I would not have been able to see how they stack up against what I consider to be my favorite ball in real time. Will I be replacing the One Tours with it? Nope, but it is a safe bet that I won't be buying v2s anytime soon.

One tour and one tour d have been at that price level for a couple of months now. rumor has it that Nike is unveiling some sort of injection core balls.

OP
johnnymo

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
A couple years ago I got a hole-in-one with an E5 but I like the E6 better.

To each their own :) One of my golf buddies swears by his e6s and another may be switching to them if they actually release them in yellow. There were some spy pics released of yellow e6s and he has quite a "power fade" to go along with his poor eyesight so they would be two birds with one stone for him.

OP
johnnymo

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks.

Two words for those two sleeves... executive course ;)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It's odd you found more sidespin on the e5, I have always heard that a 2 piece will spin less than a 3 or 4 piece and would be friendlier to the weekend slicer for that very reason.

OP
johnnymo

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
It's odd you found more sidespin on the e5, I have always heard that a 2 piece will spin less than a 3 or 4 piece and would be friendlier to the weekend slicer for that very reason.

The reason may be that the e5 does not have a mantle. I believe the One Tours, and three plus layered balls, are designed in a way that they incorporate a mantle to reduce spin when compressed to the appropriate level. I am sure that technology like this has a threshold such that a One Tour when struck with a 80 mph driver swing may produce more spin than a 100 mph swing.

"that's what the e5 is designed to do. e5> launch high. e6>>> less side spin. e7>>> distance" N.V.M.

I think the intent of the whole e line is distance in a round about fashion. Some people can get more distance out of a higher launch, some people would get more distance from taming slices and hooks e6, and some can get more distance through lowering their trajectory e7. I would not go so far to define them as distance balls but instead maybe something along the lines of targeted game improvement.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think the intent of the whole e line is distance in a round about fashion. Some people can get more distance out of a higher launch, some people would get more distance from taming slices and hooks e6, and some can get more distance through lowering their trajectory e7.

Exactly, and they don't hide that fact. The e-line is designed to assist your major shot fault, whatever it may be. e5 is higher spin and higher flight, e6 is straighter flight and less spin, e7 is specifically LOWER flight and less spin.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I love the E5. Its a fairly inexpensive ball, yet it has a urethane cover so it spins really well. Granted, its only a 2-piece ball but for $25 a dozen its one heck of a ball.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

One tour and one tour d have been at that price level for a couple of months now. rumor has it that Nike is unveiling some sort of injection core balls.

JM, you're right. At present it's called Code Name PROTOTYPE RZN.

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_Misc_NikeRZN.png

I can't wait to pick up a heap of One Tour & One Tour D on the cheap now that the next greatest & latest is on the way.

OP
johnnymo

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
TTR, nice find :)

Hijacking my own thread... What do you think of the one tour d? I have a couple of sleeves sitting around but have yet to put them in play.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
TTR, nice find :)

Hijacking my own thread... What do you think of the one tour d? I have a couple of sleeves sitting around but have yet to put them in play.

Ive never personally been a fan of Nike golf balls. I find lots of them out on the course and was never all that impressed with any of them. To me, they just feel very dead and dont really spin that well as compared to other brands.
I much prefer Bridgestone/Precept and Srixon.

🔥 Latest posts