• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broke 80........sorta

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
My goal this year was to break 80. Played a muni (Encanto) today from the blues (still only 6500 yards). Par is 70, shot a 78..................sorta. I kept score with just 1 ball, but when I hit a shot I didn't like I dropped another. I always picked up the second ball and finished with the original. I'm not going to count the score, but I know I have it in me now. Only a matter of time now.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Thank you. First round in years with the worst hole being only a bogey.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Believing you can do it goes a long way toward actually doing it. Last round I played I had a chance to be sub 80. Was a weak and pathetic 44 on the front, but on the back was even through 7.

Finished DOUBLE - DOUBLE. FLIP!!!!!

BUT cruising along with a bogey, a birdie, and all pars felt nice. I hardly hit any greens, but one-putted from 4-10 feet something like 6 times in a row. The birdie was a great shot WAAAY uphill (couldn't see anything) from 130 out stuck to 18 inches (I measured, guess how ;) )

When you find that groove and you start thinking about how close you can get versus how you can avoid trouble, things just change. On the last two holes I was thinking about not doing badly instead of doing well. Idiot!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Believing you can do it goes a long way toward actually doing it.

Co-sign.

That 5 hole stretch or that front 9 where everything went right, it wasn't luck, it was all you. When we play good, it's not a fluke...it's our potential. Confidence is everything in golf.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My goal this year was to break 80. Played a muni (Encanto) today from the blues (still only 6500 yards). Par is 70, shot a 78..................sorta. I kept score with just 1 ball, but when I hit a shot I didn't like I dropped another. I always picked up the second ball and finished with the original. I'm not going to count the score, but I know I have it in me now. Only a matter of time now.
Wow! Great round! The toughest yardage on any course is the 5 1/2" between the ears. Knowing you can score in the 70s should go a long ways towards building the confidence it will take to get there again... and again... and again...

You young flat-bellies make me envious.......

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Wow! Great round! The toughest yardage on any course is the 5 1/2" between the ears. Knowing you can score in the 70s should go a long ways towards building the confidence it will take to get there again... and again... and again...

You young flat-bellies make me envious.......

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttttttttttttttt, I'm 6'4", 255 lbs., and a cool 48 years old. I fit none of that discription.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Riiiiigggghhhhhttttttttttttttttt, I'm 6'4", 255 lbs., and a cool 48 years old. I fit none of that discription.
It's all relative. Saw something on the news, this past week. A 12 year old kid was told he couldn't play Pee-Wee League football. Why? The 12 year old was 6'-2" and weighed almost 300 lbs. Many of his prospective teamates hadn't even reached 5', yet.

You are just a "youngster", though. My wife and I have been married 46 years. You're almost young enough to be a son of ours....

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It's all relative. Saw something on the news, this past week. A 12 year old kid was told he couldn't play Pee-Wee League football. Why? The 12 year old was 6'-2" and weighed almost 300 lbs. Many of his prospective teamates hadn't even reached 5', yet.

You are just a "youngster", though. My wife and I have been married 46 years. You're almost young enough to be a son of ours....

Can I use the car this weekend then?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Believing you can do it goes a long way toward actually doing it. Last round I played I had a chance to be sub 80. Was a weak and pathetic 44 on the front, but on the back was even through 7.

Finished DOUBLE - DOUBLE. FLIP!!!!!

BUT cruising along with a bogey, a birdie, and all pars felt nice. I hardly hit any greens, but one-putted from 4-10 feet something like 6 times in a row. The birdie was a great shot WAAAY uphill (couldn't see anything) from 130 out stuck to 18 inches (I measured, guess how ;) )

When you find that groove and you start thinking about how close you can get versus how you can avoid trouble, things just change. On the last two holes I was thinking about not doing badly instead of doing well. Idiot!

Did you measure by putting your junk down there and then adding 16"?

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I've always wanted to play a single man scramble (2 balls from each position) just to see what I'd shoot. Anyone ever do this?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.