• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broke 90!

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
I broke 90 today for the first time. Shot a 87 with 8 pars on the day. It felt so could. I got my official handicap a month ago and it's a 21. I've been shooting in the mids 90s for awhile. Just thought i'd share.

MeT

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I broke 90 today for the first time. Shot a 87 with 8 pars on the day. It felt so could. I got my official handicap a month ago and it's a 21. I've been shooting in the mids 90s for awhile. Just thought i'd share.

MeT

CONGRATS===here's to many more!!!!!!!!:)

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Feels pretty good eh?... Nice job, mid 80's is pretty fun/decent golf... I also broke 90 for the first time this year.... My wife broke 90 for the first time this week aswell, 88, and the round after that she shot 83!!! Needless to say, she beat me twice in a row.

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
thanks guys...yeah it felt good....and when you get lower...you can really see where you need to work on...for me its the short game and straightening out my drives

85? lets try couple more times for under 90 and see what happens.
I am a teacher so I have the summer off to work on it!
Thanks again!

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008

MeT

Congratulations....feels great reaching a goal doesn't it?

I will give you one tiny bit of advice, take it or leave it....it's a challenge really. I would be willing to be if you added up all the putts you missed from 5 feet you would have been closer to breaking 80 than 90.

For your next 10 hours of practice time I would challenge you to make it consist of: 3 hours of range time, 4 hours of putting and 3 hours of chipping/wedge shots.

If you do it and do it with focus you will see such a dramatic decrease in your score it will make you a short game practice freak.

The one axiom of golf that will NEVER change is the closer you get to the hole the infinitely harder it gets. Would be interested to hear how this works out for you should you do it. I have never seen it not work!

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Hey rollthrock. It's a deal. Ima try what you said. Thanks.

"For your next 10 hours of practice time I would challenge you to make it consist of: 3 hours of range time, 4 hours of putting and 3 hours of chipping/wedge shots."

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Hey rollthrock. It's a deal. Ima try what you said. Thanks.

"For your next 10 hours of practice time I would challenge you to make it consist of: 3 hours of range time, 4 hours of putting and 3 hours of chipping/wedge shots."

Neat! I'm actually excited for ya b/c I'm not giving you any advice that a good teaching pro wouldn't give.....I picked this ratio up from my college coach and have stuck with it. It's time tested and it works. Not that you have to be dead nuts on to the minute, but if you spend 70% of your time working on wedges/bumps/pitches/bunker/putting and 30% on the range it won't take long before you are progressing rapidly. Most people pound 100 drivers, walk right past the short game/putting greens and climb in the car:(

One little caveat on range time. Probably the biggest mistake I see on the range is people hitting the same club over and over and over. For instance, someone will hit several different clubs until they find one they are hitting well and then burn the entire bucket up on that club....basically learning nothing. If ya hit 4 o 5 nice ones with an 8 iron then move on. Take that setup and feel to the clubs you CAN'T hit.....and then you are well on your way to maximizing your practice time.

It's like taking medicine at first, but once you see the results it's awfully fun. It's kind of like studying, ya don't have to love it, ya just gotta do it! Have fun with it. I put on podcasts and catch up on my listening while putting and chipping....you can have putting wars with pals to make it competitive.....lots of fun things to make short game practice something you look forward to.

Adam14

Apr 11, 2009

MeT

Great Job! Now...teach me! I'll have 4 holes left to play and all I need is to par them out and I"m in the 80s.....but I par 1, par next, double next, par last.....still stuck in the 90s

Always one stupid hole that ruins it for me!

I gotta start playing one hole at a time instead of focusing on everything else

Suggestions are welcome!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.