• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broke the Plateau

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
For the longest while I was stuck at breaking 80 only once in a while, never in consecutive rounds. Just broke 80 4 out of my last 5 rounds.

77, 77, 78, 85, 77

Feels nice :beach3:

I've opened two rounds at even par for the first nine and ended up shooting a 40 on the back to give me the 77 both times. Not sure why I can't finish as strong as I start, but I really shouldn't be complaining :p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Nice shootin':)

Of course, now that your in the 70's the next plateau is even par. I always say that I will be happy when I reach the next plateau, but never am. :D No matter how well I shoot, I always see strokes I left out on the course.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Congratulations man. I'm in the same boat with scores in the 80's as opposed to 90's and I know it's a good feeling to finally see the practice paying off. Keep it up.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Handicap 11

I am unable to get out of my current plateau. I have hit 78 and 79 but I still can't put together consecutive rounds.

What are some things that have helped you get over the top and break 80?

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
What are some things that have helped you get over the top and break 80?

What has changed recently for me:

• Accept bogey on a tough hole/situation, I use to always try to get birdie and par at all cost even after a tee shot in the woods or something, now I try my best to make par still, but if its very unlikely I'll play for a bogey and get out of trouble
  • Try to make putts, don't try to avoid three putting -- I'm still not making long putts for some reason, but by trying to make the first one I'm noticing my second putts have been a lot easier...previously I would try to leave long putts close
  • Wedge in hand go for birdie (I've been getting about 2 birdies a round since being more aggressive with wedges)
  • 150 yards and out -- just aim for the center of the green (sometimes I hit it a little off-line and get lucky that the pin is there)
Outside of improving my swing by taking lessons (always a work in progress), above I've listed the strategic changes that I've made that IMO helped me break the plateau.

What's in red IMO has made the difference in my score between a 78 and a 84 because I'm no longer having huge blowup holes (double bogey and worse).

🔥 Latest posts