• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brutal course conditions

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well its mid-October and the weather is great and the golf course is just brutal....

1) 4 weeks ago, the super did the deep core aeration and top dressing. Then, in the middle of last week, he rolled them hard and cut them way down...they are stimping around 11 or so....

2) Because of the drought, he's let the rough grow up. Your ball simply flies into the rough and just goes off radar. Search and search and search. The top of the ball is below the level of the grass oftentimes. Yesterday, I had the good fortune of being able to see my ball from a distance as I approached (didn't go all the way down). I got my club and as I took my practice swing, I found a new Pro-V1x 4 inches/100 mm away.

The rough is like a brillo pad. I grabs your club and of course all shots go left....

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
Sometimes I go the 9 hole course about 30 miles away from me.
Its amazing, that a course that doesnt do much business, always has great greens, and fairways, and in top shape.

There is an 18 hole about 5 minutes from my house, that is in about the shape that you described.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Yeah, I paid $52 to play Jones Creek on Saturday afternoon. After we had gotten there and paid we found out that the place had been bought by new owners. Then when we get to the first hole green we found out the greens had been verticut. :(

Jones Creek, the home of the only Taylormade Fitting Center in the area, now has NO PROS. How's that for a waste of money?

Jun 24, 2006
Our course was in excellent shape until a week ago when they punched them. Tees, fairways, rough, and bunkers are all in great shape. They just did some top dressing today.

It's a shame.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Our course was in excellent shape until a week ago when they punched them. Tees, fairways, rough, and bunkers are all in great shape. They just did some top dressing today.

It's a shame.

Yes its a tough month after the punching...no doubt about it but it's gotta be done.

But wow are they fast now....I had one putt on Sunday where I was above the hole about 8 feet away....I just literally touched the ball with my putter and it is zooming downhill...

Lucky for me - I drained it because it would have rolled off the green if it didn't go in.

We also experience the situation with rough like this that I have debated with people here about: hitting provisional balls when your ball simply flies out of the fairway. No apparent problem like it went a pond or ditch or deep woods. It just didn't land in the short grass.

To play by the strict ROG, under these conditions, every single time a ball does not land in the fairway, we should be hitting provisional balls, bc they just effing disappear. And if I hit a provisional ball, by George I'd be looking for TWO balls, not one and in some cases would lose them both.

As it is now, I simply stop playing on that hole and take myself out of competition. I could lose 5-6 balls a round under such conditions, and in many cases, they'd be within 5-7 yards from the edge of the fairway....the new Pro-V1x I found 4 inches/100mm from my ball was six feet/1 metre from the edge of the fairway....

If we were rich, we'd be hiring forecaddies this time of year to simply sprint after the balls as they fly through the air.....

Jun 24, 2006
six feet/1 metre from the edge of the fairway....

Are you sure?:S

---------------------

That's just a pain in the arse and must slow down play a considerable amount. People will spend 5 mins looking for the ball just because the can't believe the can't find it.

That's also how a person hurts their wrists ala Mickelson. Have you asked why they wont cut the frigging rough? If it's thick and long like this the drought can't be effecting it that much anymore. I think he should be able to afford to top it off a little bit.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Are you sure?:D

That's also how a person hurts their wrists ala Mickelson. Have you asked why they wont cut the frigging rough?

I cannot even do a decent English/metric conversion....my dumbass is showing...

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i love getting on the course after the green in closed to being healed from aeration. it's nice and smooth.

Steel Blade

Oct 11, 2007
Our course isn't even open. They close it down for two weeks to overseed. Then you get out the waders and slog through the mud resulting from getting the seed to germinate. Then by January the new grass might be mature enough to hold up a ball.

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
At our crappy HS home course, the last week in august was rainy, rainy, and rainy, followed by a huge storm at the end of the week.

the third hole always plays tough, fast firm fairways spill balls into the water, and after the flood dried up there were brown spots all over the place.

Thought id play it safe going hybrid, hit a solid shot, going at the middle of the fairway, it hits and almost plugs...........HOLD ON.....the ball slowly trickles toward the water due to the damn dry brown spots. DROP. Lay up with iron, it was impossible to keep the ball in play, in the river. DROP, left of the green with wedge, chip on, and two putt for a nine.

I felt better about my nine when I found out that the lowest score for that hole from the meet was a 7.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v444_jrr11991_golf.jpg

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
I cannot even do a decent English/metric conversion....my dumbass is showing...

Big Big trouble if you play courses on Continental Europe Bravo !! .. emm clubbing could well be an issue (Bravo conversion) 100 metres = 600 feet / 3 = 200 yards ... oh yeah that'll be my 4iron then !! ......

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Big Big trouble if you play courses on Continental Europe Bravo !! .. emm clubbing could well be an issue (Bravo conversion) 100 metres = 600 feet / 3 = 200 yards ... oh yeah that'll be my 4iron then !! ......

There's no doubt I am mentally challenged.

Lessons maybe?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
There's no doubt I am mentally challenged.

Lessons maybe?

Well our rule of thumb is to mulitlpy the metre distance by 1.1 .. so 150 metres would be 166.5 yards .. what's more confusing at times is the fact a lot of the courses measured in metres are to the centre of the green, where most yardages are to the front .. so you do the maths correctly but forget to adjust for the centre ...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.