• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building a 1 hybrid

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Really? That seems weird. I hit my 15 degree hybrid way better off the deck than my 15 degree 3W, I assume due to the 2" shorter shaft. I don't hit it as well off the tee though, so I normally carry the 3W because I don't have a spot for both.
From my experience, and how I hit them, that would be like comparing apples to oranges. I too hit a 16* Hybrid much better than my old 3w that was banned from my bag. Unfortunately I have found through much trial and error that for me a hybrid plays about 2* weaker than a same lofted FW because of the shaft length. Actually about 2* + 5 yards shorter to be exact per averages.

So my 16* was being compared to my 17* 5w, for which the hybrid was around 10 yards shorter, and was not nearly as easy to hit. Had it been as long (in distance), and comparable to my 3w it would possibly still have a place in my bag. Although now that I have the 16.5* 4w that is likely longer than my old 3w, that would probably not be the case again.

If I hit it as long as my 16.5* 4w, it would be in my bag. Unfortunately it is probably closer to 20-30 yards shorter than that club, and they would probably be fairly close in reliability. I hit the 18* about the same as a 21* TEE, if not slightly short, as the TEE's play a little longer than most FW's

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, it turned out looking pretty good. I'm playing in 4some this afternoon so we'll see if it plays as good as it looks, :laugh:
Maltby 1hybrid 001.jpg
Maltby 1hybrid 002.jpg
Maltby 1hybrid 003.jpg
Maltby 1hybrid 004.jpg
Maltby 1hybrid 005.jpg

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Looks good! Interested to hear how it works!

Thanks Slick, I'll give a complete review and report afterwards. Well, once I recuperate anyway. This 4some walks, and my Hippo pull cart isn't much better than dragging my bag behind me on the ground, :rolleyes:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks Slick, I'll give a complete review and report afterwards. Well, once I recuperate anyway. This 4some walks, and my Hippo pull cart isn't much better than dragging my bag behind me on the ground, :rolleyes:
Just carry the sumbitch...your not THAT old yet...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country

Isn't that what your wife is for?

:biglol:

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Just carry the sumbitch...your not THAT old yet...

Not quite, although I did receive my 1st invitation in the mail to join AARP :faintthud

I'll be old enough to join the Champions Tour this Dec. Not good enough mind you, but old enough, :laugh:

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Isn't that what your wife is for?

:biglol:

I thought you had a excellent suggestion here Doc, but when I ran it by SWMBO, her reaction differed slightly from what I was hoping. Her answer would dictate this thread be moved to the members section, ;) Something about tell him to go f... another chicken! :laugh:

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
From my experience, and how I hit them, that would be like comparing apples to oranges. I too hit a 16* Hybrid much better than my old 3w that was banned from my bag. Unfortunately I have found through much trial and error that for me a hybrid plays about 2* weaker than a same lofted FW because of the shaft length. Actually about 2* + 5 yards shorter to be exact per averages.

So my 16* was being compared to my 17* 5w, for which the hybrid was around 10 yards shorter, and was not nearly as easy to hit. Had it been as long (in distance), and comparable to my 3w it would possibly still have a place in my bag. Although now that I have the 16.5* 4w that is likely longer than my old 3w, that would probably not be the case again.

If I hit it as long as my 16.5* 4w, it would be in my bag. Unfortunately it is probably closer to 20-30 yards shorter than that club, and they would probably be fairly close in reliability. I hit the 18* about the same as a 21* TEE, if not slightly short, as the TEE's play a little longer than most FW's

Ahh, gotcha. I've never had a 5W so I'm missing that part of the comparison, I guess that's why I couldn't relate.

On perfect strikes my 15° FW vs hybrid the hybrid is under 10 yards shorter, but not much - probably around 8yds. In reality though, the hybrid is about 20 yards shorter off the tee, the FW is about 20 yards shorter off the deck -- both cases due to mis-hits. I frequently fat the FW off the deck - not much, but just enough to lose a fair amount of distance. I overswing pretty much everything on the tee box (it's psychological - I even frequently mis-hit my 8i when on a tee box, which is practically an eyes-closed-auto-hitter anywhere else.) In that instance the FW is easily 20 yards longer than the hybrid (maybe more,) just because more of the face produces good distance due to the bigger head. So I carry one or the other based on the course and my knowing which shot will be needed more often. I am progressively getting better with the 3W, though, so it shouldn't be too long before the hybrid is a permanent garage ornament.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, I played in a 3 man scramble today. Best ball, and by the time it was my turn to hit, all but twice we had a ball in the fairway, so I was hitting driver. But the 2 times I hit it off the tee it behaved just like I was hoping. Nice low boring trajectory, straight and right down the fairway. I measured them both with my GPS, 241 and 243 respectfully. Definitely longer than my 2R, and seemingly just as easy to find the fairway with.

I never tried it off the deck, I didn't build it for that anyway. But I'm supposed to play again tomorrow and maybe I'll get a chance to try it off the deck?

The FST Pro 115 feels a lot like the Nippon's in my other hybrids, for the money, this is a helluva shaft.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, I've played a few rounds with this thing. Mixed reviews so far. The head feels way heavier than my Bafflers. Would it make a difference if I took the weight screw out of it? Will that do anything other than lighten it?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Well, I've played a few rounds with this thing. Mixed reviews so far. The head feels way heavier than my Bafflers. Would it make a difference if I took the weight screw out of it? Will that do anything other than lighten it?

You can just replace the standard 8 gm. weight with a lighter one like the 2, 4 or 6 gm. weights. Maltby uses the same screw-in weights in all their clubs with screw-in weights.

MALTBY KE4 SCREW WEIGHTS AND WRENCH

That will definitely lighten up your swing weight, especially if you use one of the lighter weights. The CG might move a bit more forward and higher in the club too but I am betting you won't be able to tell much difference other than it will feel a little lighter when you swing it.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks MGP, for some reason I couldn't get onto golfworks site earlier.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online