• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building A Backyard Putting Green ..step by step photos included

scrawney

May 8, 2008
Hi folks, just joined Shot Talk.com .. I'm in the very beginning stages of building a backyard putting green. I'm open to advice from the more experienced..I'm going to post photos as I go along. I've been researching this idea for quite some time and have finally decided that it's something that I want to try and tackle. At this point, I'm looking at it as a hobby that I can be proud of so I don't mind doing the maintenance that's required. I also look at it as a learning experience, when it's over, I might be able to refer to myself as a knowlegeable greens keeper. I'm obviously a golf enthusiast and have been so since the age of 11 playing in Junior PGA tournaments sponsored by the local news paper (The Cleveland Plain Dealer) until my Senior year of High School ( I had an 8 handicap back then)..then..instead of chasing golf balls I started chasing girls and left the game for quite a few years....now I'm back to chasing golf balls;). At age 38, I'm coming back stronger than ever and I know that it's all about the practice. No place better to start practicing than in your own backyard! ...chipping and putting is half the game!

I'm not allowed to post any photos yet because I don't have the required 15 posts in Shot Talk Forums....in due time I will then I'll get my photos up.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
That's an ambitious project, to be sure. I look forward to seeing photos of your progess.

"Chinch bugs...you know...manganese - a lot of people don't even know what that is."

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I would love to put a putting green in my backyard but my wife would never let it happen.:( I can't wait to see your pics though.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Welcome aboard, chief. You indeed have chosen an ambitious project. I assume that you are talking about a real grass green? Or synthetic? Just be prepared for all the things that are required with real grass. Building is one thing, but maintainance is another. Greens mowers are expensive. Fertilizer is expensive. Crap, gas is expensive. I look forward to what you come up with, and good luck!

5iron

Hi folks, just joined Shot Talk.com .. I'm in the very beginning stages of building a backyard putting green. I'm open to advice from the more experienced..I'm going to post photos as I go along. I've been researching this idea for quite some time and have finally decided that it's something that I want to try and tackle. At this point, I'm looking at it as a hobby that I can be proud of so I don't mind doing the maintenance that's required. I also look at it as a learning experience, when it's over, I might be able to refer to myself as a knowlegeable greens keeper. I'm obviously a golf enthusiast and have been so since the age of 11 playing in Junior PGA tournaments sponsored by the local news paper (The Cleveland Plain Dealer) until my Senior year of High School ( I had an 8 handicap back then)..then..instead of chasing golf balls I started chasing girls and left the game for quite a few years....now I'm back to chasing golf balls;). At age 38, I'm coming back stronger than ever and I know that it's all about the practice. No place better to start practicing than in your own backyard! ...chipping and putting is half the game!

I'm not allowed to post any photos yet because I don't have the required 15 posts in Shot Talk Forums....in due time I will then I'll get my photos up.

Good luck !

OP
S

scrawney

May 8, 2008
by the way...it's going to be a real grass green. I'm looking at it as basically taking the place of a garden. I used to be an avid vegetable gardener so I don't mind doing the work. The only rewards that I'll reap with a putting green is being able to play on it and improve my short game; that will give me alot more motivation that shoveling manure into a squash patch in hopes of making it better for the local raccoons and possums:D

OP
S

scrawney

May 8, 2008
I'm converting the old concrete flower bed into a sand trap ..I moved it back by the fence....the croncrete borders were in the ground for many years, I hand them power washed last week..I dug them out today and was able to move them piece by piece...nearly got a hernia doing it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.