• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

building questions

Calhoun

Jul 30, 2007
I have decided to start doing (trying) my own club work. I have the skills and the room to set up a nice club building area. I have ordered the proper tools bench-top belt sander, shaft puller, scales, etc. I am in the process of putting together a list of some supplies that I think I should keep on hand. I was wondering what you use the most and like to have readily available. I won't be doing a lot of work. Just some driver and fwy wood shaft switching that I know of right now.

This is just going to be new hobby for me (like I need another). It is just something to do and saves me from driving an hour or paying shipping on top of someone else doing the work.

OP
Calhoun

Calhoun

Jul 30, 2007
I have grip tape, grips, and epoxy. I have been regripping my clubs for awhile now. I was meaning more in the way of different ferrules. I have seen a lot of different kinds on golfworks. I have decided to just get the kit that has the assortment of sizes.

I do have one question though, One of the first projects I want to do is my superquad / redboard combo. I had a older guy in Columbia that has a golf shop put it together for me back in March. About a month ago I was getting a lesson and my instructor asked me why the shaft was installed at the 9 0'clock position. I never paid attention to it until then. He tried to see if it was loose, but it wasn't. A couple of days later I was messing around with it in my shop and tried to twist the head myself. It started to give and I eventually got the head off with out damaging the shaft. I want to put it back together. The shaft is a .335 and the head is a .350. I know I will need a shim but what size ferrule? I figure a .335 that has a larger outside dia. than a normal .335 ferrule.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Baby wipes. Keep these in a sealed plastic bag. Use them to wipe the excess epoxy off of the club after you've inserted it. It works just swimmingly.

Grip solvent obviously.

Saving grips is a pain, but it's nice to have a few extra lying around in case you just want to "try something out". I use the GS grip remover rod. It takes a little bit for most rubber grips, but saves them just fine.

A hacksaw with the rod-saw blade. Also some cheap masking tape to put around the shaft before you cut it (graphite) and to write on the shaft for spine, or FLO.

Hosel weights of different weights. Tip weights also. Maybe some corks, tungsten powder and a ramrod.

Steel ruler for measuring clublength. Either the hand held kind or the kind you lay down with the flapper to put the head against. You will need one or the other for every club you make.

Shaft extenders. Keep a few on hand for irons and maybe for graphite. The inside diameters for steel shafts is pretty standard. Graphite is another matter.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
the baby wipes suggestion is a great one
If you have an air compressor, it's better than grip tape :)
I'd recommend a few different epoxies too - 24 hr cure is the best, but sometimes the 5 minute cure stuff is really handy and the 30 minute stuff isn't bad to have around either
Don't forget the micro torch to go with the puller

🔥 Latest posts