• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building the Ultimate Coyote/Zombie Gun!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I'm going to build the ultimate coyote killing/scout rifle out of a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine. When the SHTF it'll double as a Zombie killing SOB!!!

Why s Mosin? They are inexpensive, ammo is cheap and they are idiot proof. Plus the Archangel stock is simply badass!

Here are a few pics of what it'll end up looking like:

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1417891532.498466.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1417891563.193761.jpg

Thoughts?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Excellent choice for Zombies!! I never did like .30 cal cartridges of any kind for coyotes. The 7.62X54r can barely see 3,000 fps with the 150 gr bullet. The cheaper ammo probably is 200+ gr loads and will be even slower. If you need to hit a moving coyote at 200 to 250 yards, the trajectory will take some work.
I always liked the .22 cal rounds or I hot-loaded some .25 cal rounds to just over 4,000 fps in my .257 Weatherby Mag. The Weatherby liked the 87 gr bullet and at 4,000 was extremely flat. My 25-06 could be pushed close to 4,000, but would tumble the smaller bullets. It didn't really like to digest anything smaller than the 120 gr Hornady.
Since I've given up the sport, there has been a lot of development in the .17 cal and .22 cal which are excellent for varmits up to and including coyotes.
Can't you find something in a 5.56/.223 that would be a little flatter than the 7.62/.30? Isn't there still some military surplus ammo in the 5.56?
Of course, if I ever did get back into shooting, I had the experience a couple years ago to play a little with a 7mm Lapua. Now... THAT is a Zombie killer!!!!

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Good points Limp! It's really about the stock, it's supremely cool.

I'm also looking at possibly building an AR. My buddy has a couple of lowers so I could build it any which way I wanted. Those weapons are so customizable it's almost ridiculous.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
How did I not see this?

Although I personally agree with Limp on the caliber choice for Yotes...and I'm not a big fan of that stock personally....and I don't enjoy the Mosin action from an ergonomic standpoint....I really like your enthusiasm and anybody that's going to build a gun on ST gets a big thumbs up from me! I can't wait to see it finished!

What does the stock cost? I've never seen it before, but I don't do much with the Mosin stuff. What optics are you going with?

I personally have been looking into the 220 swift, 22-250AI, or 223 WSSM for a custom built Yote rifle. Those calibers are absolute screamers. I believe the 223 WSSM is currently the fastest factory loaded round out. (4000+ factory) There's load data throwing 55gr @ 4000fps and 35gr bullets at slightly over 4500fps. That's screamin.

The 17 caliber stuff intrigues me...but the 5.56 stuff is cheaper because it's a lot more popular.

I really like the 6.5mm stuff for long range....7mm stuff for deer/elk/moose...if I had the funds I would have a rifle in each...but my 30-06 kills deer just fine...so I can't justify the expense for a custom rifle to shoot deer.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
How did I not see this?

Although I personally agree with Limp on the caliber choice for Yotes...and I'm not a big fan of that stock personally....and I don't enjoy the Mosin action from an ergonomic standpoint....I really like your enthusiasm and anybody that's going to build a gun on ST gets a big thumbs up from me! I can't wait to see it finished!

What does the stock cost? I've never seen it before, but I don't do much with the Mosin stuff. What optics are you going with?

I personally have been looking into the 220 swift, 22-250AI, or 223 WSSM for a custom built Yote rifle. Those calibers are absolute screamers. I believe the 223 WSSM is currently the fastest factory loaded round out. (4000+ factory) There's load data throwing 55gr @ 4000fps and 35gr bullets at slightly over 4500fps. That's screamin.

The 17 caliber stuff intrigues me...but the 5.56 stuff is cheaper because it's a lot more popular.

I really like the 6.5mm stuff for long range....7mm stuff for deer/elk/moose...if I had the funds I would have a rifle in each...but my 30-06 kills deer just fine...so I can't justify the expense for a custom rifle to shoot deer.
The Mosin stock is $165 so more than a Mosin...

I've switched gears and decided to build an AR. It's going to be a zombie/coyote/SHTF weapon.

I didn't want to just go to the local gun shop and buy one so I bought the lower from my buddy and will be piecing it together over the next month or so. I've already purchased a complete lower kit from PSA (magpul) and now deciding which way to go on the upper. There's a Bill Goodman show coming up in Jan, so if I can wait that long that's where I'll get the upper.

One of my friends works for L3 Communications (Eotech holographic sights). She can get the ones they test for $50. Or $300-500 off retail. They're "used" and may a few scratches but otherwise are in perfect working order.

Also ordered a few mags from Cheaper than dirt (12 days of Christmas sale) and the Magpul MBUS flip up sights. My plan is to have absolute co-witness capabilities.

I'm going to to do the AR up in OD Green and Black. Also considering getting my stamp so I can have some FA fun!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The Mosin stock is $165 so more than a Mosin...

I've switched gears and decided to build an AR. It's going to be a zombie/coyote/SHTF weapon.

I didn't want to just go to the local gun shop and buy one so I bought the lower from my buddy and will be piecing it together over the next month or so. I've already purchased a complete lower kit from PSA (magpul) and now deciding which way to go on the upper. There's a Bill Goodman show coming up in Jan, so if I can wait that long that's where I'll get the upper.

One of my friends works for L3 Communications (Eotech holographic sights). She can get the ones they test for $50. Or $300-500 off retail. They're "used" and may a few scratches but otherwise are in perfect working order.

Also ordered a few mags from Cheaper than dirt (12 days of Christmas sale) and the Magpul MBUS flip up sights. My plan is to have absolute co-witness capabilities.

I'm going to to do the AR up in OD Green and Black. Also considering getting my stamp so I can have some FA fun!!!

Stamp for FA fun? Do you have a registered sear? Otherwise, it's going to take a lot more than a stamp to get into full auto in an AR platform. Unless you're a class III dealer, FA in an AR platform will be around $16k. Slightly less for just the sear.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Stamp for FA fun? Do you have a registered sear? Otherwise, it's going to take a lot more than a stamp to get into full auto in an AR platform. Unless you're a class III dealer, FA in an AR platform will be around $16k. Slightly less for just the sear.
No get my tax stamp for SBR, silencers, etc. thought the class 3 covered all that.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
No get my tax stamp for SBR, silencers, etc. thought the class 3 covered all that.
Each class III item needs it's own stamp. So each suppressor, each SBR, each full auto weapon would need it's own stamp.

So...if you had a RDAS(Registered Drop In AutoSear), in an SBR AR with a suppressor, you would need 3 stamps to be legal.

There's a manufacturing ban on consumer available full auto weapons, so whatever is currently out there, is all there is. Demand is going up, supply isn't. Prices are high. Best you could do price wise for full auto is an UZI for about $6k + 200 tax stamp and an 8 month wait to get your hands on it.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Each class III item needs it's own stamp. So each suppressor, each SBR, each full auto weapon would need it's own stamp.

So...if you had a RDAS(Registered Drop In AutoSear), in an SBR AR with a suppressor, you would need 3 stamps to be legal.

There's a manufacturing ban on consumer available full auto weapons, so whatever is currently out there, is all there is. Demand is going up, supply isn't. Prices are high. Best you could do price wise for full auto is an UZI for about $6k + 200 tax stamp and an 8 month wait to get your hands on it.
well sh!t, then probably just sbr.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

My dad has a Ruger 220 swift that he has done a lot of work to and that thing is a straight up sniper rifle. It's the flattest shooting gun that I have ever seen. I've shot crows with it from over 300 yards and I don't claim to be a crack shot. Small bullet but damn it's fast.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
220 swift was originally a wildcat that gained enough attention and acceptance to be a factory round.

It was the fastest factory round until the 223 WSSM came out. It's probably top of my list right now for a varmint slayer.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on Palmetto State Armory, Primary Arms and DoubleStar/J&T upper build kits. They have some great deals on blems currently. like scratches and whatnot.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
PSA is solid. Primary I have no experience with. Double star is from what I remember bargain bin stuff....i personally would shy away from them.

Things change fast in the AR world though...there's lots of competition, so you either produce decent stuff or die off.

You're going to build the upper? Takes some specialty tools.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

🔥 Latest posts