• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building your own putting green.

h3king

Junior Pro
Jun 14, 2007
Well last summer I wanted my own putting green in my backyard. So I researched and tried to get everything together. I want on this one forum, where the person said if you just fill out this form you can get free grass seed. So I went on and did that, after about a week they called my house and ask for me. Well the thing is, the grass seed I guess was to test for the green keeper's and they would give you a sample. Well I lied on the form and told them I work for this golf course. So my mom told the that I did't, but the sweet part was that they still sent the seed for me. Now i researched everything on what to do but the only problem was that I need a putting green lawnmower and there a s**tload of money. I'm just wondering if anyone has or has tried to make a putting green. Btw no matter what this summer me and my dad are going to plant the seed and see what we can do. They gave me 750 feet worth of it.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well last summer I wanted my own putting green in my backyard. So I researched and tried to get everything together. I want on this one forum, where the person said if you just fill out this form you can get free grass seed. So I went on and did that, after about a week they called my house and ask for me. Well the thing is, the grass seed I guess was to test for the green keeper's and they would give you a sample. Well I lied on the form and told them I work for this golf course. So my mom told the that I did't, but the sweet part was that they still sent the seed for me. Now i researched everything on what to do but the only problem was that I need a putting green lawnmower and there a s**tload of money. I'm just wondering if anyone has or has tried to make a putting green. Btw no matter what this summer me and my dad are going to plant the seed and see what we can do. They gave me 750 feet worth of it.​
Noble thought, but you will never build a proper putting green without a proper foundation. And that means digging up a lot of dirt and laying gravel, sand, topsoil, etc. Now, to keep the grass puttable, you will need a $$$$$ mower and top-dresser. Next you will have to deal with nematodes, fungus, mole crickets, weeds, etc., etc., etc.

Forget a real grass green. Ain't gonna happen.

RJTee

Dec 5, 2007
In my experience of 50 years of lawn care, in one form or another (did landscaping for a living for a while), I would look into artificial turf. That would still be alot of work to properly build a base for, but once its there the maintenance would be minimal.

OP
h3king

h3king

Junior Pro
Jun 14, 2007
Noble thought, but you will never build a proper putting green without a proper foundation. And that means digging up a lot of dirt and laying gravel, sand, topsoil, etc. Now, to keep the grass puttable, you will need a $$$$$ mower and top-dresser. Next you will have to deal with nematodes, fungus, mole crickets, weeds, etc., etc., etc.

Forget a real grass green. Ain't gonna happen.

I know what I needed by means of pea stone, sand soil rock. How deep to dig everything. Its just the lawnmower is so much money I tried to get one off ebay but no luck. I work at lowe's so I could have gotten all that stuff really cheap at the end of the season(80% off). This year I going to ask every golf course if they have a old lawnmower that they will like to sell off. I know its hard to build but tons of ppl have greens in there back yard. Btw whomever said about turf, its great but tons of money

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The best value in home putting greens are turf tiles. I have putted on several of the home putting greens and have found the turf tiles to be by far the best value out there and they roll really true.

Check them out at Turf Tiles

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
If you are dead set on real grass that you have to mow, look for a reel type mower. You can get a brand new pusher for around $100.00 Reel type mowers are the best you can use for a nice clean cut that doesn't tear the hell out of your grass. Depending on the size of the green you build, it might take 10-15 minutes to mow.

OP
h3king

h3king

Junior Pro
Jun 14, 2007
If you are dead set on real grass that you have to mow, look for a reel type mower. You can get a brand new pusher for around $100.00 Reel type mowers are the best you can use for a nice clean cut that doesn't tear the hell out of your grass. Depending on the size of the green you build, it might take 10-15 minutes to mow.

Do you have a link to one? Is it a regular lawn mower, cuz The lowest setting on them I found was 1 inch. Which is way to high.

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
No links specifically. The mower I have is quite old and will mow right down to nubs. I actually got it at a garage sale for $5 about 15 years ago. I mainly used it as a "character builder" for my boys. If they ever showed disrepects toward their mother, they got to mow the entire 3/4 acre lot with the manpowered reel mower.
I have been trying to make a putting green myself, but getting it smooth is a lot more tough than I ever thought it would be.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Mower

Also, I would check with local golf courses. I use to mow greens at my home course for a few summers and they were updating there technology periodically. You might be able to get a mower that is getting phased out.

As far as top dressing, this can be done with a fertilizer spreader. All top dressing is, is working sand into the green to soften them up.

This is a pretty huge commitment (especially in the hot dry months). Watering could become an issue. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
h3king

h3king

Junior Pro
Jun 14, 2007
Why not just go to a public course and use their practice putting green?

Because a putting green in your backyard is so sweet, and it will be like a hobby.
Instead of driving you can just walk outside and chip and putt, I would be out there in the summer at 12 or 1 putting if I had this thing. 1000 dollars is still a little high for a mower, all have to keep searching for a cheap one. The stuff I will need for the green will be like 700 or so, not to sure. Hopefully I can find something.

5iron

itd be sweet if you made a bunker too , like this main picture on Putting-greens.com. Atleast the pic they have now, but be careful and safe bro.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.