• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bunches of Titleist Irons

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
United States United States
One of the things I do in woodworking, besides guitars and other stuff, is to build golf club hat racks. So my wife and I have a tendency to always haunt local thrift shops and sometimes pawn shops, as they are gold mines for cheap clubs to use on my coat and hat racks.
About ten days ago, we stopped into this run-down pawn shop I usually avoid. In the corner, he had a bag just full of five irons. There were over 20 clubs in the bag, but about 15 of them were 5 irons. Of special interest to me was two sets of five each, Titleist 981 and Titleist 990. The rest were odd clubs, with a couple of old woods thrown in. I offered him $15 for the clubs and bag and he took it. (Got a cool, Merit Golf Larry Nelson bag out of the deal I'll put in my spring garage sale.))
So today I go to build another golf club hat rack, and take out one set of five Titleist 5 irons to use. While working on them, I notice they are not all the same. I start looking, and the lies are different, lengths are different, and some of the lofts have been changed a little. Labels on the shafts describe the Slot#, Lie, and Length.
The 981's and 990's are kind of companion sets, so I don't quite understand what I have. Would these have been some sort of testing set for a possible buyer, maybe in a pro shop? Doggoned if I know. The real crazy thing, is how did they end up in a run-down pawn shop on the wrong end of Cleveland, TN? We are certainly not a golf mecca here.
Any info would be appreciated, but the shafts will be cut soon and the heads will be hat and coat racks.
Sorry about no pics, the ones I took are too big to upload, according to the rules.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I would guess fitting/demo clubs that were given to the pro once they were deemed unusable or the new versions came out. The pro then pawned them off for cash.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I haveta throw it out there that the uniclub idea might be present and you have something of a set to sell.

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
All I had was two sets of five irons, 990 and 891. And now one set is a hat rack. Considering they came in a Larry Nelson signature bag, I'm gonna guess he was the pro. Looked him up, he was somewhat successful on the tour, came out of Georgia just south of me, and has been successful on the Champions Tour. Wonder if I actually have a bag that was given to him? Nice bag, his name stitched in it, Merit Golf is the sponsor.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Cleveland CG2's

Cleveland_CG2_464179_i0.jpg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
They are a little strong for their time. 46° PW. I can hit the 2i sometimes, but currently I am playing 6 thru SW.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Cleveland CG2's were, IMO, one of their best irons ever.

🔥 Latest posts