• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bunker Shot Question

Matt

Jan 13, 2009
Hi folks

I need some clarification on something I saw recently at my local course which was either cool, cheating or genius depending on the rules or your interpretation of what happened....

Standing in a bunker with a very steep face, the ball was set back from the wall of sand infront of it in what was a fairly good lie for being in trouble. The player approached the ball, lined up his shot, and with the back of his putter, picked the ball up in a rear-swinging motion (like you would do to pick up the ball on a green) and continued the swing it over his head and "threw" the ball like a trebuchet catapult onto the green.

Now, we were amazed but he pointed out some things which none of us had time to check as we had a two ball behind us waiting to get onto the green, so can you tell me if this is true....

1) There is no rule that states you have to take a wedge into a bunker, you can play it with your putter if you want to.

2) There is no rule that says you have to use the front side of the club.

3) There is no rule that lays out how your swing must be, launching it over your head is legal.

Any thoughts or clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
3) There is no rule that lays out how your swing must be, launching it over your head is legal.

Any thoughts or clarification would be greatly appreciated!
That is completely incorrect.

There is a rule saying the ball must be fairly struck, for which you may not "Push, scrape or spoon" the ball, for which he violated and should be penalized two strokes. It is the first rule on striking the ball.
14-1. Ball to Be Fairly Struck At

The ball must be fairly struck at with the head of the club and must not be pushed, scraped or spooned

... obviously he never read the rules or he would not have missed this part. You are however correct in parts 1 and 2 (assuming you use the head of the club to do so).

You may refer him to here if he wants clarification on the rules. Look under:
Rule 14 - Striking the ball
Rules | United States Golf Association

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Actually, even thinking more about this, and the sequence of event that you mention, you are further not permitted to ground you club in a bunker or hazard. For which he in all likelihood would have had to violate that rule as well in even being able to spoon and throw the ball over his head with the back of the putter. For which he would have been penalized as well.

Seems the guy may have been oblivious to the rules.:laugh:

OP
M

Matt

Jan 13, 2009
Actually, even thinking more about this, and the sequence of event that you mention, you are further not permitted to ground you club in a bunker or hazard. For which he in all likelihood would have had to violate that rule as well in even being able to spoon and throw the ball over his head with the back of the putter. For which he would have been penalized as well.

Seems the guy may have been oblivious to the rules.:laugh:

Thanks for that, we didn't think it was right, but to be honest we were more amazed that someone would pull a stunt like that. He's not a guy we've played with before (or since) so it's not likely to be a problem again. I'll let the guys know, and thanks for clearing that one up for me!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
lol... I couldn't have found it in the rule book I'm sure... but I think I would have called BS on him! lol that would be funny to see regardless!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I bet the guy makes 99.9% of his putts within 4 feet. Just scoop it up, reach over and drop the ball in the hole. If he were to get a chest putter he would be deadly within about 8-10 feet and would likely improve his bunker distance considerably. :laugh:

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Absolutey a violation of rule 14-1. This guy has never read the rules of golf or bothered to use common sense.....or he can't play a bunker shot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Absolutey a violation of rule 14-1. This guy has never read the rules of golf or bothered to use common sense.....or he can't play a bunker shot.

This would be my guess. I find it amazing what some people try to get away with. :horse:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
As long as it wasnt a competition, turned in for handicap, or any bets on the hole i dont see anything wrong with it...theres nothign that says u absolutely have to follow every rule of golf on every single round...u can if you want obviously

The rulebook is only for people that want to follow the rules...i have never layed eyes on an offical rulebook of golf. I still play...do i break the rules, probably but i dont keep a handicap, i dont play a league, i dont play any type of competition so it really doesnt matter. I am out there to have fun, and thats what i do, what i shoot is secondary. However, i do follow etiquitte to the best of my knowledge. Also, if i were to start playing for a handicap or league or competition, i would do my part and learn the rules.

I quite enjoy hitting sand shots, however i hate trying to hit from under a tree...so as long as i have nothing to gain from other people by scooping it out from under that pine tree...i do it.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Putter Wedge

I have used my putter as a LH wedge before to get out of a tight spot in the woods. All I did was grip the putter left handed and chip the ball with the back of my putter. Is this legal?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have used my putter as a LH wedge before to get out of a tight spot in the woods. All I did was grip the putter left handed and chip the ball with the back of my putter. Is this legal?
Yes, you can use any part of the clubhead, as long as you use the clubhead. I have made a number of shot were I do not use the clubface, usual off the outside toe of the club head.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yes, you can use any part of the clubhead, as long as you use the clubhead, and as long as the ball is "struck". I have made a number of shot were I do not use the clubface, usual off the outside toe of the club head, or the blade.

Just like a Hosel rocket is not a penalty (outside of living with the consequences) as the hosel is still considered part of the clubhead.

Had the guy scooped the ball of the back of the putterr as a result of striking the ball with the swing and not a scrape, push, or spoon, it would have been legal.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
As long as it wasnt a competition, turned in for handicap, or any bets on the hole i dont see anything wrong with it...theres nothign that says u absolutely have to follow every rule of golf on every single round...u can if you want obviously

The rulebook is only for people that want to follow the rules...i have never layed eyes on an offical rulebook of golf. I still play...do i break the rules, probably but i dont keep a handicap, i dont play a league, i dont play any type of competition so it really doesnt matter. I am out there to have fun, and thats what i do, what i shoot is secondary. However, i do follow etiquitte to the best of my knowledge. Also, if i were to start playing for a handicap or league or competition, i would do my part and learn the rules.

I quite enjoy hitting sand shots, however i hate trying to hit from under a tree...so as long as i have nothing to gain from other people by scooping it out from under that pine tree...i do it.

Once you try it, I think you will find that playing by rules actually is more fun than not. It's certainly a better way to measure your progress in the game. When you play every round by the same standard, you will have a baseline to compare to, and something to truly brag about when you DO shoot that career round. There's almost as much satisfaction in recovering from deep trouble to save a par or bogey as there is in playing a simple fairway iron and making birdie.

It's only my opinion, but just because one chooses to play by the rules doesn't mean that he's ruled fun out of the game. :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I got a good laugh out of this. If I saw someone do that I'd have been laughing my a$$ off. PS- don't argue with guys like that either, not worth it. Most likely they have some mental issues and want you to argue with them.
icon12.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The rulebook is only for people that want to follow the rules...i have never layed eyes on an offical rulebook of golf. I still play...do i break the rules, probably but i dont keep a handicap, i dont play a league, i dont play any type of competition so it really doesnt matter. I am out there to have fun, and thats what i do, what i shoot is secondary.

Our group follows the Rules of Golf. We do NOT do so in a religious, "rules gestapo" style. We, too, play for fun. Most of us do not carry a bona fide GHIN handicap. We don't play for the big bucks. We're just out there, having fun. But, we play by the rules.

We do NOT roll the ball. We play the ball where it lies, even in fairway divots. There are no "gimmes" on the putting green. Each and every putt is made. Lost balls do NOT get the "leaf rule". A lost ball is lost and incurs the appropriate penalty.

There are only two or three instances where, for the sake of pace of play, we deviate from the actual Rules of Golf. Many times, we will putt out instead of marking the ball. If I roll the first putt to 1 foot, I'll go ahead and tap in before the next player will putt. That just keeps pace of play moving forward. We do NOT spend the entire 5 minutes looking for a lost ball. Make one pass where you think you saw it land. If you don't see it on the first pass, take your drop with a new ball and play on... with the penalty. If I hit it in the junk, I deserve to lose the ball. I have 7 or 8 dozen of AA+ found Pro V's at the house. Another 2 or 3 5-gallon buckets of Top Rocks and other assorted balls also are in the basement. When we play first off the tee on Saturdays and Sundays, you stumble over quite a few balls left behind by the later players the eveing before. If you hit an errant shot off the tee box, we hit provisionals. It is not conducive to pace of play to have to return to the box to rehit.

My wife and I play a lot of Scrabble on weekends. We play by the rules... with challenges... and the Official Scrabble Dictionary to check a challenge. If you play... play by the rules!!!!

Sorry! Just my opinion.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.