• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Burned Out

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
For the first time in my young golfing career, I'm noticing the first signs of burnout. I'm still practicing and playing more than the members of my team, but I'm no longer pushing myself to my limits. For about the last 5 months, I've practiced for at least 2 hours every day, most of the time more. I was hitting 3-4 buckets a day, weekly lessons, 30 minutes swing drills daily, hour or so chipping and putting 30 minutes a day.

The last 2 weeks, I've hit probably 3 buckets, haven't spent a single minute practicing my bunker play. Have only been on a practice putting green once. I haven't done a single swing drill in 2 weeks.

Some how, I suddenly lost the drive I had that was improving my game greatly. I expect to have it back now that I've taken a few days completely off of golf. What can I do to prevent another burn out in the future? I know that you're suppose to take a day off every now and then, but I'm just afraid of playing somebody who is able to do what I did for 5 months, and then not burn out. Are these people just on a mental level that I can't match? Or is there something I can do to maintain practicing hours a day without burning out in the future?

Help is appreciated!

I'm certainly not giving up, I'm just trying to figure out what's the difference between me and the 'elite athlete' who can practice even more than me without needing a break.

5iron

Maybe try some new things, some new shots. Try to have fun, thats why I play golf, because it should be fun. You can have fun and be serious though too.:prop: Hopefully you can get that drive back to play, and practice buddy. And just keep having fun to prevent further burnouts. Do good !

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
wow perfect timing for this thread.

i too have lost the desire to continue playing.

now that h.s. is over, i have no real reason to keep playing.

i'm no longer pursuing a career as a club pro...so all i'm doing by continuing playing is wasting time and $.

so. i plan on putting the clubs up and only playing a couple times a year for fun at least until i'm out of college and can afford to play again. gonna devote my energy into bowhunting primarily now. much cheaper and equally entertaining/satisfying.

philly, i wish i could give you advice....but alas i have none. if you love the game enough, you shouldn't have to even think twice about your commitment to it.

-YG

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Stop practicing and play.

My thoughts exactly. Get some friends together and play a few rounds of golf. Lay off the the driving range for a while. Play for cokes, or burgers if your underage, something to keep those competitive juices flowing, but play more and practice less for a while.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
My thoughts exactly. Get some friends together and play a few rounds of golf. Lay off the the driving range for a while. Play for cokes, or burgers if your underage, something to keep those competitive juices flowing, but play more and practice less for a while.

What constitutes as underage for cokes?

To expand on what I said though... take your practicing to the course. Go out alone if you must and play two balls if it's slow. Play a safe game, and a risky game. For example, play a par 5 trying to make birdie, and eagle. See what scores you better on each hole, ya know? Or try to hit the same shot with different clubs. Hit the shot you normally would, say a 150 yard 7 iron, then try to hit the same shot with your 5 iron. You'd be surprised how this ability comes in handy. Wouldn't be golf if they didn't put shit in your way.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
What constitutes as underage for cokes?

To expand on what I said though... take your practicing to the course. Go out alone if you must and play two balls if it's slow. Play a safe game, and a risky game. For example, play a par 5 trying to make birdie, and eagle. See what scores you better on each hole, ya know? Or try to hit the same shot with different clubs. Hit the shot you normally would, say a 150 yard 7 iron, then try to hit the same shot with your 5 iron. You'd be surprised how this ability comes in handy. Wouldn't be golf if they didn't put shit in your way.

Lol, I meant, play for cokes or burgers if your underage, beers if of legal drinking age,:D. And I must admit, your advice is better than mine as far as still getting his practice in.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Everyone needs a break from the routine sometimes. I think what has been said here is good advice.........do something different.....come up with some different games. About once a month when I was in high school we would play the course backwards (don't worry about tee boxes....start in front or behind #18 green and play back to #17 green and so on....the hard part....gettting from #10 green back to #1 green across the parking lot and such).

In regards to what Youngun said.....after 4 years of busting it in high school I was completely burned out. After graduation I went to the beach and played 5 rounds in 6 days....when I got home I wrapped my clubs in a black trash bag and stuck them in the shed. Didn't touch a club from may of 99 to thanksgiving weekend of 2001....over two years. I broke ninety that weekend and from there played some of the best golf of my life.

Jason

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The difference between you and the "elite athlete" is that he practises smarter than you do.

You have to do different things, mix it up, and take lots of breaks. I spend wayyy too much time on the course, but I also spend a lot of time just goin in and chillin in the pro shop and just talk with the guys in there just to take a breather and not to kill myself.

Practise lots of different things, and lots of short game. Play little games against yourself, especially on the practise green and that keeps it a little more fun. Go out and play, play against a score 3-4 strokes lower than you usually shoot (lately when i've been playing Im playing against a +3, so he birdies the 3 easiest holes on the course and pars the rest, i try and beat him, whether I play match or stroke).

TAKE A BREAK. Even im not dumb enough to play every single day:laugh:. I do something every single day yes, but generally once a week, especially now during tourney season I take one day where i dont go to a course or the range. When im home I spend it with the mrs or with friends doing anything, hanging out, goofin around, just a nice light hearted day. Here i generally spend most of it sleeping and watching golf (as I generally take my day off sunday to watch final round play) and getting my hw all finished up for the week ahead.

The difference between you and the kid who practises as much as you is that he takes breaks!:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Lots of good ideas from better (and more dedicated) golfers than I.

I like the idea of "keeping it fresh". It's like being in a long-term love affair (or marriage, I hear.) You have to come up with ways to keep it fresh, or even the sex becomes boring and routine.

Maybe play a few games with four or five clubs. Or - if the course is empty - play a scramble with yourself, and play "worst ball" instead of "best ball".

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ive done that with 3 balls, that was an interesting round. Somehow scrapped my way to a 76. I always found the 2nd ball was the worst one for the most part:p.

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
Stop practicing and play.
Exactly what I used to do.. I played on my high school golf team and would be playing the same course, or the same practicing routines every day.. got dull. So on certain weekends I would plan on a drive out to some random course I had yet to play, or a course that possibly crushed my spirit when I played it the previous time.. and I go attack it again. Keeps your game guessing.

You have to switch things up now and again. :D

Good luck.

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. The mixing it up thing, and playing more, and taking some breaks all seem to make sense.

I tried the 'scramble' with myself by taking 2 shots and playing the worst one, every long putt I made...I couldnt make the second time :(

🔥 Latest posts