• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Burner 2009 vs Burner Plus vs every other burner

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Ok I admit it, I'm confused trying to tell all the new burner irons apart. Can someone tell me what the difference between the regular burner 2009 and the burner plus is? There site wont show any comparisons and that pissed me off.

I'm about ready to give up on my MP-57's and pick up something bigger and admit that I'll never be good at golf again, but at least I'll enjoy the game.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
I've played the staff's in the past. Not really interested in those again, feel like something new.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
HEy! I see you picked up a set of new Ci9s!!!! How do those work?

Beatifully so long as I am swinging them right. Can't beat the feel and sound. One thing I really like is they take hooks out of the equation with less offset and weighting than the Di5's. The Di5's I had I hit draws with which would turn into a nasty hook on certain days. I lost a little distance for some reason, but not much. It's kinda wierd too cause the lofts are the same as the Di series through PW and the GW is actually 2* stronger, yet I could hit my old GW farther. It's for the better though cause the yardage gaps work out better and fit where I usually am better. I was supposed to post pics a while back and forgot. They're not brand new pretty anymore, but i'll still post pics soon.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
So does this mean no one has hit these yet to offer an opinion?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
So does this mean no one has hit these yet to offer an opinion?

Pretty much. Some people may have hit one, but probably not one -vs- the others. I personally am overwhelmed with the amount of shit that TM puts out every 3 months and that steers my attention away from them. Just by looks at address in the store the only TM irons I ever looked at twice were one of the versions of the r7's and the r9's. Somewhere between blades and super GI. That's pretty much what I have now at a fraction (literally) of the price and I don't even look at irons anymore. Point being you may want to widen the spectrum of things to look at a bit. Never know what gems you'll find and for how cheap.

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
I'm open to many things and will probably get a fitting again before I think of buying anything new. I just like the look of the new TMs and haven't hit them yet so I can't say if I like them or not. I really liked the old CG Golds which can be had at a steal now, but I'm turned off a bit by the "uniflex" shafts as I'm not sure what they are really tuned for. I've never really liked callaway irons (at least not since the mid 90's), never hit pings well although the new ones (G15) are turning me on a little, not a huge fan of Nike, but open to whatever at this point. I just want my game from 97-2000 back, but I'd settle for my game from 2006 it's been all down hill since then.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'm open to many things and will probably get a fitting again before I think of buying anything new. I just like the look of the new TMs and haven't hit them yet so I can't say if I like them or not. I really liked the old CG Golds which can be had at a steal now, but I'm turned off a bit by the "uniflex" shafts as I'm not sure what they are really tuned for. I've never really liked callaway irons (at least not since the mid 90's), never hit pings well although the new ones (G15) are turning me on a little, not a huge fan of Nike, but open to whatever at this point. I just want my game from 97-2000 back, but I'd settle for my game from 2006 it's been all down hill since then.

If the G15's catch your eye take an honest look at G5's or I5's. Basically the same club but way cheaper. Ping's last forever too.

I had the same thoughts about the CG Golds. Also thought that about the Nike Ignite's, good looking iron actually, but uniflex.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The Burner pluses I think have more offset and bigger soles than the 2009 Burners..

The 2009 Burners, with the black badge in the cavity are pretty hot right now.. The new super launch whatever burners are super GI. Big offset, massively jacked lofts, huge faces, and literally shoot the ball into the air for you.

That said.. I've never hit any of them. I've seen people use them, more so the 2009 Burners.. The newish ones I think are probably the same deal too, not much more technology you can pack in those other than offset and perimeter weighting to assist those who can't hit the ball first.

I've personally look into a set of AP1's if Titleist is your cup of tea.. Or the MX series from Mizuno. Looks player-ish, has a ton of good stuff packed in them. Pretty hefty price, but if your looking at Ping, you probably don't care about price. Hell, the Adams A3's are cheap now, and a GREAT set of sticks.

Go demo a bunch of stuff.. I went with a more forgiving set of irons.. I had the Smoke MB's and went to the 09' TP's and those are night and day. CB's with some good grinds on the thin soles to help me from digging, and way more forgiving with a tough of offset. I was playing irons with less than 2mm of offset and it helps a little I think, who knows?

But look at the MX series from Mizuno, hear they are great.. Or the 2009 Burners. Probably a good price for those out there.

🔥 Latest posts