• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BurnerTP 8.5*

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Took the new BurnerTP 8.5* to the range this afternoon. Holy Cripes, if I play in firm conditions I'm just going to try to drive it into the greenside bunkers on anything less than 400yds. :laugh: Of course I'm exagerrating but it is a bomber. It's flying slightly lower than the 9.5* as I'd expected, hitting the ground and keeps going. It's not that low either, I'd say 2 telephone poles high and as high as a full PW at apex. I can't believe how high these heads launch. I had that QuadTP 9.5* with the VS proto briefly and the 8.5* Burner is flying at least 20-30ft. higher than that was.

The stock shaft in this thing is not bad at all. I was expecting it to not be all that great but I was hitting this driver long and very straight. I actually think the 9.5* with the VS faded more out of a "straight up the middle" setup. The 8.5* seems easier to draw a little and fades a yard or 2 when I just go "straight back, straight through".

My initial thoughts are "thank goodness, I made the right decision on this". The 8.5* will be a little longer and oddly seems more controllable.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
All drivers are long and straight when you first get them :laugh:

This is why you must buy a new one every week.
icon10.gif
It's pretty bad when I can't even remember how many I've had in the last year. Pretty much every model TM's come out with in the last 3 years, some of them twice, some of them 4 times. :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I took it to Triggs this afternoon, 39* and windy. Went off the back of the tips as far back I could get. She goes, very long. 327yd. par 4 I was throwing a little 60* wedge from the right of greenside bunker. I played that hole and hit 4 different drives on it. The longest nearly went into the greenside bunker, rode the wind with the high cut and it jumped forward another 15yds. upon landing. I also put it into 7iron range, into the wind on the 455yd. par 4. I'll probably change shafts since this one seems a bit tough to control and little high but this head is a cannon.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm bored. Think I'm going to pull the TPGD 65 and throw in the TP 83S Blueboard. Heavier may work, all you need to do is square the face with this thing and flies 270.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Wait a minute.

Ezra got a new driver, tested it, and now he's reshafting it all before I even know he had a new one!

I need to start logging in more.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Are you busting my chops? :laugh:

I just got off the phone with Ken at Victorycustomgolf, the guy I'm getting the Miura 3iron from. I'm going to send him the whole lot. The 17* 200steel tour will be getting the new Nippon NS 950 fairway shaft in steel at D2 with a blue decade. The BurnerTP will be getting the TP Diamana at D3 and 44.75". This should leave my only project left as the 3W. I may keep mine or go to a 13* BurnerTP head with the new Aldila DVS shaft in an 80g.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I couldn't wait for the reshaft so I did it myself. Got a little worried but Lyle reasurred me as I pushed the hosel plug in while cleaning out the epoxy, no big deal. For the 2nd time in a row I got dried epoxy from the pulled shaft stuck up into the shaft so had to pull the grip to drop it out the butt end. Fortunately I had a new Decade lying around so that's on it now. It's over near the gas heater drying and it looks awesome with the TP Blueboard and Decade. Can't wait to hit it tomorrow.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
This is quite the combo with the TP Blueboard. I'm hitting a stock slight draw and this thing is very easy to control. I may have gotten more distance with a lighter, longer shaft but the 83g at about 44.5 is finding fairways deep enough to tackle the tips at Triggs no sweat. If I take my 5 best drives of the day and averaged them, they would come out to just under 260. Considering it was very wet and muddy, 45* and believe it or not all of those 5 holes played uphill, not bad. I figure I'll be able to carry this driver almost 260 and with the low spin 8.5* head I should get a nice kick forward in normal/dry conditions. I still can't believe how high this head launches in an 8.5*. Cripes, I think I could hit a BurnerTP 6* driver. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.