• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BUSCHNELL vs. LEUPOLD

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
BUSCHNELL vs. LEUPOLD vs. NIKON

I know its a never ending story about rangefinders vs. gps. However, I finally know i want to buy a rangefinder. I have specifically found 3 different ones.

The Bushnell PRO 1600 Slope Edition

and

The Leupold Golf Rangefinders GX-II

and

Nikon Laser 550 AS

All three seem to me to be top products. Does anyone of you have any more insight, that helps me decide which one to buy?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Re: BUSCHNELL vs. LEUPOLD vs. NIKON

I don't have experience with anything Leupold. But I do have experience with the Nikon 550, AND the Callaway (Nikon) 1200.

I do recommend a golf-specific rangefinder for hitting the pin. Most rangefinders that are not golf specific will give you the reading that they hit most when you pull the trigger, which tends to be the woods behind an object. Look into whether or not you can change the mode to nearest target (like the pin) or distant target (the woods 30 yards behind the pin).

My Callaway 1200 is absolutely great. I have not even LOOKED at rangefinders since I got it. Absolutely awesome, incredibly accurate, and almost obnoxious range.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, I'm looking for one as well.. SUX, any other recommendations?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Honestly, anything Nikon. The Nikon 500g is an exceptional unit that doesn't run the price of the Callaway branded stuff... but it's the EXACT same unit. Be wary of the Nikon Prostaff models that are used for hunting; these do not have first-target priority (base models, anyway).

If you can score a 500G, which is an older unit, you'll have everything you need. The newer callaway ones have a "scan" mode where you can just hold the button move the rangefinder left or right to get instananeous yardages. This is incredibly useful when you're 160-190 yards out. Just start left of the pin, scan right, and you'll know when you hit the flag.

It's worth spending the extra dough on something that works as well as these Nikons do. I had an older bushnell that wasn't anything like the Nikons I've used. I'd say it was older, but so is the 500G.

Something you also need to look at when checking out range finders is the optical magnification. Something with 1000 yard range but onle 2x optical magnification would not be very useful, since the pin would literally be so tiny in the viewfinder that it'd still be hard to hit. Look for at LEAST four. More than 8 would make everything appear VERY shakey. I think Nikons are 6x; shocker-- perfect.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Re: BUSCHNELL vs. LEUPOLD vs. NIKON

I know its a never ending story about rangefinders vs. gps. However, I finally know i want to buy a rangefinder. I have specifically found 3 different ones.

The Bushnell PRO 1600 Slope Edition

and

The Leupold Golf Rangefinders GX-II

and

Nikon Laser 550 AS

All three seem to me to be top products. Does anyone of you have any more insight, that helps me decide which one to buy?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

Personally I wouldn't get anything with the slope feature. If you ever intend to play in any conmpetitions, it is not legal for the competition, or even for rounds played for handicap. It's an extra expense and you really don't gain anything by it. My Bushnell Tour V2 is excellent, and I've read about some good deals being found for it lately.

The main key to be sure that it has some sort of logic that picks the flag out of the background clutter (Bushnell's is Pinseeker), and a scan that allows you to hold the button and track an area to get a general feel for a slope or bunker lip, etc.

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for your comments,

I saw that most of you do not know Leupold. I copied the specifications of both of them below, maybe someone else is also interested.

Regarding the illegality of the slope system. I will only use it for practice rounds and training. By the way, both of the rangefinders do exist in a non slope edition....

HERE THE BUSHNELL

Bushnell
http://www.bushnellgolf.com/laser/pro1600_se.cfm

The most widely used laser rangefinder by tour professionals
Bushnell® Slope Technology for exact distance to the pin, uphill or downhill
Ranges 5 - 1600 yards/meters; 400 yards to flag
+/
1 yard accuracy
7x magnification
9-volt battery and premium carry case included
No reflective prism required
100% waterproof w/ Rainguard HD
IPX7 waterproof standard

AND THE LEUPOLD
Leupold http://www.leupold.com/
Magnification 6x
Iclinometer
True Golf Range
Club Selector
7 Selectable Aiming Reticles
Quick Set Menu
Line Of Sight Distance
Yards/Meters
Scan Mode
Maximum Range
-Refelctive Target 750Yards
-Trees 600 Yards
-Pin 350 Yards
Weight 6.8 Oz
Weatherproof

I am not very keen on Nikon things, I found their quality regarding cameras not very high....Then I would be more into Leica ( Leica PinMaster Golf Laser Rangefinders) see Leica PinMaster Golf Laser Rangefinder 40530 FREE S&H 40530. Leica Range Finders.

Kind Regards,

sorry for the different Fonts, Copy/Paste......

Kind regards

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Re: BUSCHNELL vs. LEUPOLD - DECIDED!!!!!

I decided and bought the BUSHNELL Pinseekr 1600 Tournament Edition:prop:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm getting a V2 Tournament for Christmas.. Pretty stoked, and liked the features.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The Bushnell V2 has all the features you need. I wouldn't get one because it's more costly, in my experience, than a Nikon with the same features. But as a gift, you can't be disappointed :)

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Ironic switch,....

As I said in a previous post, i decided to go for the bushnell. I ordered it and wanted to go and pick it up last friday. However, when I got to the store I obviously wanted to test it, they had some Nikon's on stock there too, so clearly I had to compare them => I left the store with the Nikon 550 AS, AWSOME :)

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
thats a hunter's laser, isn't it? i they are indeed used for golf though.

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
thats a hunter's laser, isn't it? i they are indeed used for golf though.

Yes, as I understood, Leupold does military stuff. I don't think it's only for hunting but much more tactical assault etc., don't think it's very nice but on the other hand they gotta have a high standard.....

🔥 Latest posts