• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Busy Saturday...

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Well just thought I'd write up a little on the tournament we played in on Saturday.

Each year here in the south of the UK we have a scratch based Ryder Cup style tournament called the Davis and Tate Trophy.

All the local golf clubs usually enter a team of 8 of the best players in the club, based on how low their handicaps are and based on current form. Usually you find yourself playing against people no higher than about 3 or 4 but mainly they are off scratch or lower (+1 or +2 etc).

Our golf club still being fairly new and having a small member base has a fairly high handicap membership (heck, I'm in the team and currently off 10!) and we always expect to go out in the first round.

This weekend we played a nice golf club called West Chiltington at their place which was a very fun day out despite the weather. Their highest handicap was 5, with their lowest being 2, and typically in the singles in the afternoon I got paired with the 2 handicap!

Me and my partner lost 3&2 in the pairs in the morning, which was actually a bit frustrating as we had chances to turn them over. In the long term though I'm happing with that margin.

In the afternoon I lost 5&4 to their 2 handicapper, only because I 3 putted the 14th - but even so, I'm chuffed to bits with that as this chap I played shot 63, 64 and 66 in his last 3 rounds there! so as far as I was concerned playing the course record holder at his home course and not getting stuffed 9&8 is a result for me :)

Either way, give me another year to get better round my own course and I'll be feeling much more confident if we get a home draw next.

OP
D

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Oh I definitly thought so. Its not often you come away being hammered 5&4 and think to yourself "RESULT!". LOL

Best golfer I've ever had the pleasure to play against - and he is still only 19.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Good play....our club participates in a similar event and I played twice. The first time I tried too hard to make things happen and they never happened.

The next time, I told myself to 'play for par' and played really well. We closed our match out 5 and 4. Great experience for me...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.