• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying a DVD recorder

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK - I broke down today and finally decided on a DVD recorder.

We watch a fairly good number of events on Tivo and I wanted a way to save them permanently. In my den, I have a 'stack' of components including a JVC receiver, JVC DVD player, JVC S-VHS player and a Tivo on top.

I like the JVC 'comp-link' system that coordinates their products but my research on their DVD recorders showed quite a few design and quality problems.

I am going with the Panasonic DMR-75 DVD recorder/VCR combo unit. This will make my stack a little smaller and enable me to move many of my old tapes over to DVD and burn stuff from the Tivo too.

I am taking a bit of a gamble with a refurb unit though. Paid $213 plus $13 shipping on Amazon.

Can't wait to get it installed. It gets high marks from consumers...

Now I have two very slightly used JVC components to store or sell. Don't know what to do with them....

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
B--
My experience with refurb units has been outstanding. Think about it logically. Standard new units come off of an assembly line with random quality testing. Refurbs have been handled individually, the components tested, repaired, replaced...

You should do OK with it.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
B--
My experience with refurb units has been outstanding. Think about it logically. Standard new units come off of an assembly line with random quality testing. Refurbs have been handled individually, the components tested, repaired, replaced...

You should do OK with it.

I have had good luck with them too. A vendor I really like is called Vann's. They are located in Missoula, Montana and are great, great people to deal with. I have bought two refurbs from them in the past that worked flawlessly. One of their people told me on the phone that many refurbs are simply 'returns' that cannot be legally represented as New, since the box was opened by the original purchaser.

I am really looking forward to getting this new unit although I dread hooking it up. Pulling out my stack with the spaghetti behind it is just a mess. I usually grunt and curse for about an hour before getting it right.

At least I will be removing two components and replacing them with one...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
I have had good luck with them too. A vendor I really like is called Vann's. They are located in Missoula, Montana and are great, great people to deal with. I have bought two refurbs from them in the past that worked flawlessly. One of their people told me on the phone that many refurbs are simply 'returns' that cannot be legally represented as New, since the box was opened by the original purchaser.

I am really looking forward to getting this new unit although I dread hooking it up. Pulling out my stack with the spaghetti behind it is just a mess. I usually grunt and curse for about an hour before getting it right.

At least I will be removing two components and replacing them with one...

I've thought about getting one of these, be sure tell us how you like it and how the quality is.

Regarding the spaghetti, about three moves ago I came up with the idea to draw a diagram of the mess before I unhooked anything. That way when it came time to put it all back all I had to do was read my own directions.

Now I know that reading directions and being a guy shouldn't go together but it really simplifies the whole process.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
I've thought about getting one of these, be sure tell us how you like it and how the quality is.

Regarding the spaghetti, about three moves ago I came up with the idea to draw a diagram of the mess before I unhooked anything. That way when it came time to put it all back all I had to do was read my own directions.

Now I know that reading directions and being a guy shouldn't go together but it really simplifies the whole process.

That is a good idea. How did you do it? Did you label the cables or take notes or what?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Yes, I drew a diagram of the back of the components and how each wire went from one to the other. When I unhooked everything I left each wire plugged in to one end so it was easy to know which wire went where.

It was a pain in the ass to do it the first time but it's easy any time I want to move things now.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
It sounds like a good investment in time...I will try this when it comes in.

I found a better deal on the unit this morning from Vann's and cancelled my other order.

Got it for $175 including shipping.

Cannot wait for it to come in. Like a kid in a candy store.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I got my new toy and installed it last night and finished this morning.

LOVE IT!!

Can make copies of old VHS tapes in a snap. Got out some of my first videos of my oldest daughter's first Christmas. Touch a button and make a superb copy...

Now I am copying from Tivo. Not quite as easy but really just a slightly more advanced/complex VCR...

Took out both my VCR and DVD player and replaced with one unit.

I am going to have Tivo record a couple of movies off HBO tonight and try to record these onto a DVD tomorrow. I think this will work and we will build our own little library of free movies.

I will also be able to record the Ben Hogan video in a snap should anyone want a DVD copy.

This thing also has an awesome motor in the VHS side. Can rewind a two hour movie in no time...

Best $175 I ever spent. A great, great electronics vendor in Missoula, Montana called Vanns.com. This is the second 'open-box' item I have ordered from them at a 50% discount that has worked perfectly and has full factory warranty....

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Update:

I had Tivo record 5 movies over the weekend. New movies that are on HBO are sometimes scrambled so you cannot record them. Older HBO films can be recorded much of the time.

On other channels, I have been able to record easily...I have already gotten Return of the Pink Panther, Airplane and North By Northwest.

Building your own movie collection is very easy and the sound and image quality is superb.

And these blank DVD's are really cheap. I got 50 at Best Buy yesterday for only $20...40 cents a piece. 40 cents to save a really good film in DVD quality...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online