• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying new irons IF I can reach my goal.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Well, After I sold the RAC TP irons, I went back to Cobras. Decided I'd play some GI irons untill I really feel I can benefit from some blades/player CBs. Well, I went out today and played 36 holes. Shot -7 for the day. I feel that if I can shoot two 67's in the same week, I deserve some new irons. I have a strong feeling I'll play lights out and shoot 66, then shoot 80's the rest of the week, cause thats this stupid game. Anyways any recomendations? I really want to go to a performance lab, but I dont have the money to even buy new irons. Kicking around the ideas of these sets.

Mizzy MP-60 3-4-5, MP-32 6-7-8-9-P.
Mizzy MP 32 3-PW
MP-67 3-PW
Bridestone J33CB 3-5, J33B 6-PW
Titleist 695MB 3-PW

Open to any other ideas, It'll give me a true incentive to play my arse off.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I got a set of J33b's that would fit the bill perfectly:).

pm me and we can set somethin up.;)

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if i had shot -7 after 36 holes, you'd have to pry those cobras from my cold dead hands

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Hahah yeah, makes me wonder if I should have went to a special school growing up. Ive started playing to the middle of every green, and using shape/spin to work to the pin. Hard to do with GI irons, granted Im in the middle of the green, and a 2 putt par is easy. Sometimes it'll work out and I'll get a good look from say 6-12' where I feel I can make ~75% of the putts. I just think If I can work it closer, I'll be able to really get some good streaks going.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've recently switched to Mizuno MP32's. I was a little concered I might not be good enough for the mid to long irons but boy was I wrong I strike them great!!! I have replaced the 3 iron with an MP Fli-Hi Iron & I ordered a 4 iron replacement before I used the 32's but this won't be in the bag instead of the 32's 4 iron it will be as well. The MP Fli-Hi will be my rescue from the semi or when extra height is needed into a green over the standard 4 iron.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
I hit some MP-67's today fitted with PX 6.0'S. Absolutly love them, I may have to do the ever scary venture of walking into Edwin Watts tommorrow and hitting the 32's. I Have a solid 3H, maybe a 4I Fli-Hi, who knows.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
I just picked up some mp32's off a buddy of mine dirt cheap. They're in the shop right now being reshafted with project x 7.0's, lies adjusted as well. I am quickly becoming an iron ho ago again :laugh: I just could not pass them up for the price.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I must say I agree with those who are having a little trouble comprehending why you want to get rid of a set you shot -7 with. I can see where you are coming from but don't agree with your logic. You say you want to get a club that you can work more to get closer to pins, but from the sound of things it was this exact type of club that made you reach for the Cobra's in the first place.

I also don't undersand what's wrong with hitting the middle of every green. Sure a blade may come in handy for the rare occasion where you need to work a ball around something between you and the green, but they will also get you into plenty of trouble if you aren't on your game. As for working into a tight pin, hitting a blade may give you a better look at bird a few times a round, but is that worth the inevitable drop in GIR from what your are getting now with your current clubs. And in any case, if you are shooting under par you must be getting a decent look at birdies now.

Personally I think that most golfers would post better scores if they dropped back to GI clubs. A mate of mine who is a pro said the best way to go is to practice with blades, but play with GI's. He even said if he was looking for a new set he would go for semi GI irons like the Mizuno MX range.

I think the best advice for you is to go out and buy a set of blades and have some fun working the ball around for a while, but whatever you do don't get rid of your Cobra's. Just leave them in a safe place until you are ready to use them again.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
no sandbagging for you this weekend huh. I hope you posted those scores :)

I need to look you up in the GHIN. What is your index currently?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Sorry, but GI irons are not hard to shape at all, thats just an urban myth.

A good player hits out of the sweetspot, if you don't, then you need GI, no question.

But from the sweetspot there is little or no difference between the two, maybe a little extra height with presumably the additional offset on the GI irons. From the sweetspot there is no difference at all in the ability of the player to shape the ball, none whatsoever. If you can't shape the GI irons then its either;

a) you aren't hitting the sweetspot, and therefore you have reduced sidespin

b) you don't have the tecnnique

c) or maybe you are playing a very hard ball

Remember, many top pros play cavity backs, and Mickelson for ne doesn't struggle with shaping shots. Its not something they do as much as they did thanks to the standard of the modern ball, but its totally false to believe that playing blades you will suddenly start to shape the ball and get closer to the pin, its a fallacy. If you can't get a 5 yard fade with a GI then you won't get it with a blade, its got nothing to do with the design of the club.

Most pros play blades becuase they like the look of them, and maybe because they will fly the ball a little lower, thats about it.

If you are that good you can hit the ball consistently to the middle of the green, which is pro levels of dispersion, then you should be good enough to work the ball with minute changes in technique, fade is a small hold off and vice versa. Changing gear will not help you, except for maybe a placebo, you may believe you can shape the new irons so therefore you will focus your mind and achieve it.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Sorry, but GI irons are not hard to shape at all, thats just an urban myth.

A good player hits out of the sweetspot, if you don't, then you need GI, no question.

But from the sweetspot there is little or no difference between the two, maybe a little extra height with presumably the additional offset on the GI irons. From the sweetspot there is no difference at all in the ability of the player to shape the ball, none whatsoever. If you can't shape the GI irons then its either;

a) you aren't hitting the sweetspot, and therefore you have reduced sidespin

b) you don't have the tecnnique

c) or maybe you are playing a very hard ball

Remember, many top pros play cavity backs, and Mickelson for ne doesn't struggle with shaping shots. Its not something they do as much as they did thanks to the standard of the modern ball, but its totally false to believe that playing blades you will suddenly start to shape the ball and get closer to the pin, its a fallacy. If you can't get a 5 yard fade with a GI then you won't get it with a blade, its got nothing to do with the design of the club.

Most pros play blades becuase they like the look of them, and maybe because they will fly the ball a little lower, thats about it.

If you are that good you can hit the ball consistently to the middle of the green, which is pro levels of dispersion, then you should be good enough to work the ball with minute changes in technique, fade is a small hold off and vice versa. Changing gear will not help you, except for maybe a placebo, you may believe you can shape the new irons so therefore you will focus your mind and achieve it.

Once again, Dave shows us the true wisdom buried deep in his prefrontal cortex.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
Mickelson's playing prototype callaway blades now. I think alot of it is looks. When you line the club up, thin topline, the heads barely bigger than the ball, Your thinkin I've got to hit this solid or I might not hit the ball at all. It inspires confidence.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I agree with Dave to some extent, but I still think there is a difference in the performance of blades vs GI. One big difference is the COG. In GI it is much lower to get the ball up and make it more forgiving. A well struck blade out of the sweet spot will travel on a lower and more penetrating flight than a GI with the same shaft specs IMO. I also think that the non offset in blades does make it slightly easier to work the ball than a GI. And there is no doubt that a well struck blade will have a better feel than GI, but they may be more to do with the different materials used than the actual design. But in spite of all that I still think these perceived advantages are minimal and don't outweigh the benefits of a GI iron. And as Dave said, if you are hitting the sweetspot consistently you will be be able to work the ball nicely no matter what type of club you use, so why not take advantage of the technology and play GI's. This game is hard enough without having to worry about hitting a tiny sweetspot.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Well, I agree, but I was comparing apples with apples, obviously the offset will make a difference, but with a low offset cavity back there won't be any difference, and that includes flight.The COG on a cavity isn't so low it will make a big differnce.

It simply isn't true that baldes are easier to shape. Lots of people think that because they slice the f**k out of them:)

🔥 Latest posts