• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cable modem crapped out again

Bravo

Reaction score
If I had to rely on Charter Communications for air - I'd be a dead man.

Three years ago I switched to Direct TV - not because it was cheaper, not because I could get a better picture.

Only because my cable TV crapped out half the time...

So my DirectTV Never and I mean Never goes out. It chugged right along through last year's hurricane while we ran the house on generator power...through severe thunderstorms - everything.

BUTT - I have only two broadband choices: Bellsouth DSL and Charter cablemodem. The last time it crapped out was last month and they brought out a brand new one.

Here we go again...thank God I keep my Dial up...

Anybody here ever tried the DirectTV Internet service??

Can't help you with DirectTV, but a lady I work with uses BellSouth DSL and loves it.

I'm on Charter cable at home as well. My connection has really screwed up recently. I've only been able to access ShotTalk on my work PC. I can access some sites, but not important sites like ShotTalk. On these, I get the "check your Internet connection" message. Charter is coming out to check my modem "sometime Thursday."

I'm lucky, though. We have cable competition here in Montgomery, so if they can't get me up and running, I've got another option.

Bravo said:
Anybody here ever tried the DirectTV Internet service??

I called them but didn't do it. When I asked about installation they said I had to use their approved installer and they couldn't tell me how much it would be if it wasn't a "standard" installation. And, once the guy was at our house we were committed to it.

I asked her for her address so I could just go ahead and mail her the blank check and save us both some time. She didn't think I was that funny and I didn't invite their installer to our house.

Hope you're back up and running, Bravo. Charter sent a technician to my house yesterday to "fix" my cable modem. He was there a total of 20 minutes, checked the signal strength at the modem and where it enters my house. He then checked the box at the street and informed me that the signal coming into was low and that Charter would have to send someone today to correct the problem.

This is ridiculous. So, I'm still only able to get cable at the office.

Do I owe Charter an apology?

One of those Homer Simpson "D'oh!!" moments. . . .

My cable modem has been out, leaving me access only when at work when the boss wasn't watching. I contacted Charter and they sent a technician who verified by signal strength was low and said they would send someone to fix it the next day. That was last Friday. By Monday night, the modem was still out. I called from the office Tuesday and they verified that someone had come out and my signal was strong. They couldn't find a reason why I still couldn't connect, but told they would track it for me that night if I called back.

Before I called (Thankfully!) I realized one piece of equipment I hadn't checked--my router. I unplugged the ethernet cable, plugged it directly into my computer and viola, back on line. :eek:

I've replace the router and am back up and working.

So, do I owe Charter an apology for badmouthing them?

I have Comcast digital cable and opted to have my cable modem AND digital telephone service through them. I wanted everything on one bill. BAD MOVE. When the cable goes out not only was my cable modem out..BUT my phone service too..moral..don't carry all your golf balls in one crate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520