• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Caddyshack Trivia on the Golf Channel

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yesterday I came down with a rare, albeit bad cold, so I stayed home in bed all day...I still feel really rotten and we have a fine holiday weekend coming up with nice weather.

So last night I am in my bed crusing through all of my channels, trying desperately to find something entertaining. The Golf Channel is somewhere in the 600 range on DirecTV and as I got up there, I was thinking, "better go get a book because I can't find anything fun to watch"...

As I flip over to the Golf Channel, the opening credits to Caddyshack are rolling on the screen and I can hear Kenny Loggins singing the title song.

Even though I have Caddyshack on a DVD, I don't have room for a DVD player in the bedroom, so I think, 'In spite of the commercials, I'll watch this for awhile".

About five minutes into the film, suddenly the bottom of the screen "scootches up" and a blue banner appears with text. It is supplying the viewer with Caddyshack trivia!! This blue banner appeared spontaneously about ten times during the film and would disappear after about 45 seconds...

Among the trivia facts I can remember:

1) In the scene where Carl Spackler is hitting the flowers with his club as he does play by play announcing of "a player out of nowhere here at Augusta", was totally improvised. There was no script and director Harold Ramis told Bill Murray to "think of a golf fantasy like you are a kid and play it from there"...a classic scene that Murray came up with on the fly.

2) Michael O'Keefe (Danny) was in a scene with Chevy Chase (Ty) in which Ty starts talking about Zen and "being the ball".

Michael O'Keefe is presently a practicing Zen Buddist.

3) Ted Knight (Judge Smails) was decorated for Bravery five times in combat during WWII.

4) Sarah Holcomb (Maggie O'Hooligan) is the only actor to appear in both Caddyshack and Animal House. She appeared in only two more films and made no more in her career.

Sometimes when commercial breaks were coming on, instead of a product or service, they had 2 minute interviews with Brian Doyle-Murray and Cindy Williams (Lacey Underall).

Brian Doyle-Murray played the Caddymaster (Lou Loomis) in the film. He based the character on a real caddymaster in Chicago at a course where all the Murray brothers worked as kids. The caddymaster's name in Chicago: Lou Loomis. Doyle-Murray indicated that in addition to caddying the Murray brothers worked shining shoes, flipping burgers and parking cars.

Cindy Williams balked repeatedly when asked to do the brief nude scene. She said, "The producer" repeatedly threatened her and said she would never work another picture if she didn't take her shirt off. She finally relented. She grew up Catholic and went to Catholic schools for 14 years.

Blurb: Cindy Williams is legally blind without contact lenses. When she climbed the 2 metre diving board and dove into the water, she took out her contacts and did the scene 'largely by feel'.

Cindy Williams said that at night, when filming was over, they would drive golf carts all over the course, partying.

The scene in Carl's garage with Ty was not in the original script. When Harold Ramis realized there was no scene with the two of them together, he hastily wrote one and had them do it.

Many of the lines performed by Rodney Dangerfiled were spontaneous and came from his comedy routines. Again, not scripted. Dangerfield was very nervous about acting in the film and repeatedly asked Cindy Williams how he was doing. She said, "You are stealing the film"...

Cindy Williams and Ted Knight are both Polish.

The six Murray brothers have a Caddyshack theme restaurant at the World of Golf Villiage in St. Augustine Florida.

Both Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods list Caddyshack as their favorite golf movie. Tiger Woods eagerly parodied Caddyshack in his TV commercials several years ago and worked enthusiastically to emulate Carl Spackler...doing several takes to make sure he got it right.

Henry Wilcoxsen (The Bishop in the thunderstorm scene who is struck by lightning) played in the classic film The Ten Commandments. The musical score playing during the thunderstorm scene is from the same film and is a parody on Moses coming down from the Mount.

According to the Bravo channel (yes Euros, there is a Bravo Channel over here and I have nothing to do with it), Caddyshack is rated the second funniest film ever made, after Animal House.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
Good stuff Bravo. I noticed Caddyshack was on the Golf Channel last night, but avoided it because I figured it was cut, and had commercials. Thats a shame, I would have liked to see the rest of the trivia. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Trivia aside, that version of the movie SUCKED.

How can you cut out the part with Ty walking in the dinner room and him doing some CLASSIC Chevy Chase faces and actions. That was weak.

I also thought it was weird that they cut out some scenes and not others. Like one line that caught my attention that would seem a bit risky was "My uncle doesn't like you much." "Ya, well you're Uncle molests collies."

Great line, but the cut out stuff that was way less offensive than that.

Second funniest movie of all time? No way. Funny, yes, but not laugh your ass off funny.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Oh I recognize that it was edited...several scenes shortened or eliminated.

My only point was to bring out the trivia that I thought was kind of interesting...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed. I was just voicing my displeasure at the Golf Channel butchering a classic.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Rockford35 said:
Agreed. I was just voicing my displeasure at the Golf Channel butchering a classic.

R35

Well I knew in advance there was no way they were going to show her tits..

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Dude, the rack on the babe in the pool during "caddie hour" was way more impressive, don'tcha think?

Excellent memory, btw, JB. Unless of course you were taking notes.... :D

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Farquod said:
Dude, the rack on the babe in the pool during "caddie hour" was way more impressive, don'tcha think?

Excellent memory, btw, JB. Unless of course you were taking notes.... :D

No doubt...Cindy didn't have much of a rack but they were still nice looking all the same...

It was easy to remember all of the points...I just went character by character in my mind as I wrote it. They had 1-2 points on each one...

Besides when I am in bed with a bad cold, my measely brain has nothing else to think about...

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Good post....very interesting facts. As far as all the editing, I can't and won't watch any movie that is on TV anymore it's like watching an entirely different movie...its a damn shame.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Only one point...It was Cindy Morgan that played Lacy Underal. (liked her perky little....uh...nevermind)

Cindy Williams was Shirley in "Lavern & Shirley".

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.