• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Call me crazy, but I did it!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So a few weeks ago I posted a thread about how I kept finding CHEAP sets of Brand NEw Hogan Blades and was thinking about grabbing a set. Well I did it!! I have a set of 3-E Hogan Apex blade heads sitting on my table just waiting for a set of shafts. They are so SWEET looking I can't wait to hit them... here is a pic of the 5i...
Blade.jpg

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Not so crazy, they are excellent iron. Don't get yourself psyched out that you can't hit them!

Back in the mid-late 70's when I was a crazy high school kid I had my Hdcp. to around 3 (between 2.8 and 3.3) playing a set of these:

awebtoo.net_misc_BlueRidge1.jpg

awebtoo.net_misc_BlueRidge2.jpg

My bag consisted of 3i-9i, 1W, 3W, an old PGA Brand "Professional" model PW with an aluminum shaft, a Sam Snead Blue Ridge SW and a $10 Northwestern Model 3400 putter. Total cost was probably a little over $100. Blades aren't any harder to hit than other clubs, the result of misses may just be worse (or a lot worse, depending :laugh: )

I still have the PW, SW and putter to this day. The sand wedge is still an excellent SW, btw.

Although it's always a great debate, I truly believe it is wayyyyy more the indian rather than the arrow. Just look at the clubs the pros played with in the 30's and 40's. They played at or below par then with clubs and balls we wouldn't pick up out of the junk bin.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Jim they are beautiful - good luck with them.

What shafts are you looking at...Nippons or something else?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Honesty, I am not all that worried about how much different I will play with them. I grew up playing blades similar to the ones you put up pics of, that wasn't that long ago that I was playing with those clubs. Since then different parts of my game have improved but my iron play-which used to be a major strength-has stayed consistently mediocre. I thought that since my driving, FW woods and short game have improved why not go back to the type of irons that I used to strike VERY WELL. I can't wait to hit them.

I already have a bet with my buddy that I won't break 95 my first time out this year with them...I gladly took that bet
icon10.gif

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
Not thread jacking, but I have the driver - 4 wood of those Wilsons w/exact same paint scheme. Best drives of my live came with that driver. Actually played until about 5 years ago.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim they are beautiful - good luck with them.

What shafts are you looking at...Nippons or something else?

I think I am going to try the Rifles that I had in my FTX's for the moment, if for some reason those don't work I may go Nippon, but most likely will stay with the Rifle 5.5's they seem to work for me.

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
If your going to go with Riffles I may try the project X flighted. My 1st set at age 14 were 1974 Hogan Apex. I would have liked to be able to hit the long irons higher and the flighted shafts are supposed to enable that. Have fun going back in time. Now all you need is a good Power built Persimmon driver and a Zebra putter and you're all set.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Honesty, I am not all that worried about how much different I will play with them. I grew up playing blades similar to the ones you put up pics of, that wasn't that long ago that I was playing with those clubs. Since then different parts of my game have improved but my iron play-which used to be a major strength-has stayed consistently mediocre. I thought that since my driving, FW woods and short game have improved why not go back to the type of irons that I used to strike VERY WELL. I can't wait to hit them.

I already have a bet with my buddy that I won't break 95 my first time out this year with them...I gladly took that bet
icon10.gif

Jim, I bought a set of Hogan Director blades a while back. I played with them for 3 weeks before going back to my Srixon's, and I'm hitting my irons better than ever now. Just knowing you have such a tiny sweet spot, and no built in forgiveness will make you concentrate on making sure you make solid contact. It did me anyway.

🔥 Latest posts