• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway 814 Alpha Driver

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I had lost my one year "honeymoon" period with the Bio Cell and now this driver. I know this swing better then anyone and sat down last night to figure it out. Then the light went on. I've been trying to swing "by the book" in regard to setup etc. And all the books say the ball should be off your left heel (works for me), Your hands should be even with the ball, and head behind the ball. I've worked on my grip (making sure the club is not in the palm of the left hand) and that really hasn't changed anything. But I've always had my hands slightly ahead of the ball because it helps me get to my left side. And that is the problem I'm sure. When I don't do that I don't get my weight shifted quick enough so I hit a high slice which has been my issue with both of my drivers. It also has caused me to chunk many fairway wood shots and iron shots. So back to the course today to put this into practice. Wish me luck.

I'd like to try a shorter driver sometime but don't want to cut mine and then find out I don't like it. Maybe a bunch of money will let me buy a shaft for this driver like that. Like winning the lottery or something.

Good luck! It's always the Indian, never the arrow. A proper swing works on most any club. Whenever the ball starts going the wrong way, the question is "what am I doing?", not "what went wrong with this club?" ;)

beeno374

Mar 31, 2013
Cape Town
Country
South Africa South Africa
The Indian normally adapts to the arrow he is given. If you want consistency, get onto a launch monitor with a club fitter to make sure you have the right shaft in that head. At least you will eliminate any doubts about your tools. I've been playing with the same 909D2 Titleist for years now with only a change in shaft that is shorter and heavier than the stock standard one that was in it. I also went for a few lessons after the fitting of my clubs.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was right. Problem fixed.

I was helped greatly years ago by a former college golfer who took me to some of the toughest courses in Wisconsin. I never saw him shoot over par. He held the amateur record at the river course at Black Wolf Run. Name was Kim Masterson from Whitewater, WI.

Then I took lessons from one of the best pros in Kenosha county, Bobby (George) Capone. He could see and fix my problem(s) in five minutes. He said I had a good swing (yah!).

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I was right. Problem fixed.
Well, I owe you.... again!!!! Probably saved me $300. Had about given up on both my drivers. Read your post saying it's all about thinking it through and finding the problem. Sat here last night and thought I figured it out. Had the single best driving day, today, that I've had in weeks!!! One little blurp had edged its way in. Identified it and fixed it. 41/38, playing with the big boys from the back tees today. One of 'em carded a 74!!! He was on all day. The other two... one at 87 and the other at 92. At almost 69 years old able to put two pretty good 40some "youngsters" to shame. One was my son-in-law who gets extremely agitated when he loses to me by a single stroke. For me to beat him by 8 strokes, he wouldn't even speak to me as he left the course. I love it!!!! :>)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Okay. That does it. Get over to Weymont Run and bring your clubs! :mad:

Short little course, don't even need a driver there do you? Or are you talking about someone driving you to the course itself? :D

111223_800x540.jpg

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Short little course, don't even need a driver there do you? Or are you talking about someone driving you to the course itself? :D

111223_800x540.jpg
#9 distance (whites) is a misprint. It's a dogleg right and closer to the blue tee distance. But you can leave your driver home since you hit so far..... :D;):geek:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I quit using the driver long time ago, 3w just as long for me and more accurate. No sense hitting it 275 if 100 of that is into the woods

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.