• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway 814 Alpha Driver

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I've used this driver about a year now. What I've found is:

1. It's the longest driver I've ever owned.
2. It's very touchy as to small things in your swing. Swing right and it's downright awesome. Do some little thing wrong and you pay the price.

So after I re-learn my swing every year (Wisconsin sucks in the winter) in the summer it works nice. Start of the year it's not in regard to direction. Not what I would call a forgiving club at all. But man, when you swing right, it is a great driver. Looks like I'll play it the rest of the summer anyway. Next year I'll look for deals on an M2. If TM ever comes out with a new driver the prices should go down.
Pretty close to what I found with the 815 Alpha. When I was on, it performed extremely well. If I was off just a tad for the day or for the hole... it could be punishing. I really wanted to pick up some el cheapo used Callaway drivers and try some different shafts in the 815 head. Didn't happen.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've hit a few 260-270ish with it. If it wasn't so fussy it would stay forever. But, alas, it keeps biting me due to my inconsistent swing. Mostly I can't keep my head on the subject at hand. Bare naked ladies keep getting in there and making me forget what I'm doing.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have an Alpha head with weights sitting here if anyone wants to take a run at it this summer. PM me for details, it'll go for cheap. I might throw in a RAZR Fit head to the deal to sweeten the pot. Maybe two of them. Who knows.

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have an Alpha head with weights sitting here if anyone wants to take a run at it this summer. PM me for details, it'll go for cheap. I might throw in a RAZR Fit head to the deal to sweeten the pot. Maybe two of them. Who knows.

R35
How cheap? Send me a message.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Hitting the snot out of this driver with the Fubuki shaft now. Have an uphill par 5 with 3 huge boulders on the right side. Never hit it past the second one. Easily made it to the third one in the middle of the fairway. GPS said 250 yards but that is uphill so I'm guessing it would have been around 270 on flat fairway. Only guy I've played with that hit is as far (other then jhmeg2 who hits it farther) was an old cigar chewing guy that plays in our league. Btw, I've been playing this driver now for well over a year with no end in sight (due mainly to lack of funds). :D Whatever I get will have to have this shaft in it for sure.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've had it with this piece of s**t driver. Even the Fubuki shaft can't make it more forgiving. I traded it today for a new Nike Vapor Fly. It CAN'T be any less forgiving then this is. Distance (the only good thing about this club) doesn't matter if you're in the trees or other points unknown.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I've had it with this piece of s**t driver. Even the Fubuki shaft can't make it more forgiving. I traded it today for a new Nike Vapor Fly. It CAN'T be any less forgiving then this is. Distance (the only good thing about this club) doesn't matter if you're in the trees or other points unknown.
Yikes!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You "youngsters" can have a bad day on the course, knowing you have plenty of time to 'ho different clubs if the "family budget office" approves. OTOH, some of us know our time on the course is limited. We're old... and proud of being able to still enjoy this game... 'enjoy' being the word with emphasis. A stubborn driver... a balky putter... a set of irons that function as a 20 year old bride, 3 good weeks and then unbearable for the 4th... We just no longer have the time and patience for such matters!!!!! We have few vices left. If one of the vices were fine wine, would we be drinking Gallo out of a cardboard box? If one of the vices were classic cars, would we tolerate driving an Oldsmobile 98 with dents on 4 corners? We old buzzards want to have fun when we take our aging bones and aching muscles out to play the Game. I hope the move to the Nike driver brings long and straight drives to WBL's game. If not, I may have to send him one of my 'behaving badly', basement dwelling, why-did-I-ever=buy, misconstrued as the Holy Grail drivers up to the Far North.:D

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Go for it. So many clubs, so little time......;)

🔥 Latest posts