• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway Big Bertha

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
This is my first official equipment review because I haven't really demo'd anything since the VR Pros were new... and I only did this to try to win Phil's money. :p

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 Driver | Specs, Reviews & Videos

As tested (at Dick's into the video screen) :

9*
Lie and slider weight set to standard neutral.
Stiff Mitsubishi Fubuki Alpha 50 (std length)
Standard grip

With only two practice swings I went straight to work and here's the results:

Right away I could see that I loved this shaft (giggity). It made me realize that my 66 gram is too heavy. As always, it looks beautiful at setup... not that I'm biased or anything. Here's my averages (keep in mind this was in a simulator, not on the range) :

Launch angle: 10.5 degrees
RPM: 2250
Carry: 268
Ball speed: 156

I'm not too crazy about the carry distance, but again, this was firing into a movie screen so who knows. I guess I can trust the spin rate and launch angle, and I liked those numbers. Seems like the ball speed was a bit low. Unfortunately it didn't track clubhead speed so I don't know the crush factor. What I do know is that the contact felt exquisite - much cleaner than my Diablo. It sounded nice and felt superb. The dispersion was tight, as well.

Overall I give it 9/10. I can't give it a 10 because I didn't try it under real conditions but I suspect I wouldn't be disappointed. When these things hit $139, I'm all over it. :cool:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Nice review TEA. Did you get a chance to try it with a steel shaft? :D

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Ha! None of the models had steel, but I would love to try that.

🔥 Latest posts