• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway Demo

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I stopped by Golfer's Whorehouse and to my surprise the Callaway van was there. Needless to say I got a driver fitting. I hit the FT-3 regualr and the tour model. They had that interchangable shaft deal so the guy set it up with an NV and NVS. I couldn't hit either one on the sweet spot to save my life. Between 20-30 drives all on the inside of the center. Needless to say I didn't like it at all. Anyway I got a free drill to work on to widen out my swing and help stop the slicing. Also got 2 HX-hots and 2 HX-tours. The recommendation for a driver cracked me up. An FT-3 11* with a 44" NV-65 X flex. That's a crazy combo if I ever heard one. He also said my ball speed was between 150-160 and could easily be 170 as most of my swings were mishits. It was fun but I can't figure out how I could miss the damn sweet spot 30 times in a row.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Ezra

I know you think thats an odd combo, but I hit the 11* and it will go forever. Also when I read the refits that they do in Golf magazine most of the guys are fitted with higher lofted drivers. Also the book I got from Innovex golf says thet most guys should hit a driver that is somewhere between 12* and 14*, so an 11* is actually lower than that. I know the prevailing thought trend is towards lower lofted drivers, but I think that is mostly just Macho Ego bu!!$hit. Try an 11* and see what you think.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I agree Dave. The FT-3 is not my cup of tea though. It felt pretty dead (of course I was missing the sweetspot) but that's also what I've heard about it. I want some serious resonance when I get ahold of one. I will definitely be considering going back to a 10.5 degree in a TM. I will be taking a crapload of clubs out to demo before I buy one again.

Scotty, I'll try to explain it. You take your left foot and line it up with the ball. Now take your right foot and put it behind your left. Toes should be in line with the ball a few feet between right toe and left heel. Now aim the clubface straight(he showed me with a 6i) Swing the club around your body. He said he wanted me to aim right and take it left. Turn the clubhead over and point at the target. It felt pretty good and I'll be testing it out later. If it's really good I'll make a quick video and post it. BTW that guy must be able to play, he hit 6 of those in a row like perfectly smooth and powerful.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Ezra,

If you are heeling the driver consistently, it's most likely a swingweight problem. Too light.

I believe you have a faster swing, from all I've read about you, and you'd most likely need the club heavier in order to find the sweet spot. Next time it's happening, ask them what the swingweight is. If it's like D-4 or something, try a D-6 or D-7.

I had to weight my D-4 to D-6 to get it off the heel. Didn't heel one all weekend.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The FT-3 is probably one of the longer drivers I've ever hit. I only hit it 2-3 times, but it goes. Nice club.

Callawaylover1027

Jun 24, 2006
VtDivot said:
The FT-3 is probably one of the longer drivers I've ever hit. I only hit it 2-3 times, but it goes. Nice club.

Easily, the best driver I have ever hit.
Last August I tried out a number of drivers
at a range in Long Island, NY. Tried out the
FT-3, Ping G5, Cleveland Comp 454, Nike Ignite 460 CC
Titleist 905R, Taylormade R7, etc.

The two I hit best were the Titleist and the Callaway, but
in the end, I hit the Callaway more consistanly straight.

I thought the Ignite sucked.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Augster said:
Ezra,

If you are heeling the driver consistently, it's most likely a swingweight problem. Too light.

I believe you have a faster swing, from all I've read about you, and you'd most likely need the club heavier in order to find the sweet spot. Next time it's happening, ask them what the swingweight is. If it's like D-4 or something, try a D-6 or D-7.

I had to weight my D-4 to D-6 to get it off the heel. Didn't heel one all weekend.

I don't know a whole lot about swingweights. I do know my Miuras are fairly heavy and I am hitting them very well now, couldn't be happier. Might be something to consider. I have a TM 200 steel coming with a 90G shaft, that should be a bit heavier. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.