• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway Epic Max driver

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm on a roll!!! :)

Since my Srixon ZX5 driver was the same distance as the TaylorMade Sim Max but far more forgiving I sold the Sim. It was like after the honeymoon is over the bride starts eating bon bons and gets chubby and can't do all the stuff previously.

That left a huge "void" in my driver ownership so our golf course just started carrying Callaway products and this Callaway Epic Max driver called out to me.

It is a 10.5° Callaway Epic Max driver with a Project X Cypher 5 shaft at 5.5 (reg/stiff) flex. The shaft is Project X just released Cypher 50 gm version and is a high launch high spin shaft, usually one that I would avoid and meant for geezers. What I liked about this driver was not the magic face designed by some goofy artificial intelligence robot that never played golf, but the new "jailbreak" design which is now part of the frame and stiffens the frame in all directions, not just vertically.

In any case my first (honeymoon) round playing this left me in awe. It's longer, more forgiving and smoother feeling then my other super good drivers and more adjustable. And I'm impressed by this shaft.

clubs-2021-epic-max-driver___tech-image-4.png
drivers-2021-epic-max___1.png

Now you can poke fun at me again.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Two of the guys I normally play with have the Epic Flash. Both hit the snot out of them. "Epic" drives!!! I picked up an Epic Flash and we just didn't see eye to eye. I really believe it was the shaft, rather than the driver head. My Mavrik has the "Jailbreak" technology. I've really enjoyed it. Callaway hasn't had many misses in their long history of drivers.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Didn't hit ONE bad drive today for 18 holes. I'm loving this thing.
Still getting very good results out of my Mavrik. Maybe there is something to this Jailbait... Jailbird... whatever the two-post technology is that Callaway is using.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have a new shaft coming for this. The Cyphus 5.5 flex is way too mushy for me. If I swing easy all is okay but I dare to go a little faster strange things happen.

Rusty, the owner of our golf course and almost scratch golfer has played more drivers then I have this year. He has ended up with a Epic Speed but when the TM rep came in it was raining so they went inside on the launch monitor. Rusty has a swing speed of 108+ and a typical ball speed of 155-160ish with a driver. On the course he's out around 300 yards. He tried a TM Sim2 with the KBS TD 70 g x-flex shaft (he plays x-flex) and was getting "some" ball speeds up to 172 with his swing speed. That's well over 300 yards.

He ordered a KBS 70g x-flex shaft for his Callaway Epic Speed driver. He got it but hasn't tried it on the course yet.

I've been wanting to:
1. Try a heavier shaft
2. Go back to playing stiff flex again.

Rusty just ordered my new KBS TD 70g stiff-flex driver shaft. Should be around $350. 😱

Last edited:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Two things Gerry:

It was like after the honeymoon is over the bride starts eating bon bons and gets chubby and can't do all the stuff previously.
What stuff are you talking about? Please explain!

I've been wanting to try a heavier shaft in stiff flex
Try this - rocket ship! Avalon 7 Wood

🔥 Latest posts