• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway FT-3 vs FT-5

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Looks like the same club to me with a different paint job and higher price tag. What do you all think? :confused:

Looks like the FT-i is the real technology change and also the new Big Bertha looks all new.

(Really dislike the looks of Callaway drivers along with TM) :emot-ange

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States

This statement coming from a Ping rapture owner?!?! Maybe if they paint it green you will like it? :D

Drivers, like putters, are no longer being designed for astetics. It seems like bigger and uglier, function over form has taken over in the past two years.

I can not wait for Rhombus and Inverted Cut Sphere drivers next year......

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Personally I don't see how anyone can hit these new superlightweight composite heads. I hit the FT-whatever at a demo and got up to 116mph but all over the place. Same thing with the Hi-bore. I can swing it 900 miles an hour but the face comes through shut, resulting in a 200yd. wormburner. Exact same swing on my 510TP = 270 with 7yd. fade. Go figure.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Looks like the same club to me with a different paint job and higher price tag. What do you all think? :confused:

Looks like the FT-i is the real technology change and also the new Big Bertha looks all new.

Not much difference in apperance like your beloved Ping from the G2 to G5 through to the Rapture all the same shape. Main difference's between the FT's are;-
1). the VFT cup face is bigger, producing a better sound at impact and faster ball speed.

2). more weight to move around internally producing a higher MOI.

So the main changes are internal, but they are there. Is it worth changing from a FT-3 to an FT-5 or a TEE to a Rapture? for some people it may make a big difference (like that change did for you) to others very slight but the main reason to change would be to have tried the latest gear available, it's a Ho thing I suppose.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Personally I don't see how anyone can hit these new superlightweight composite heads. I hit the FT-whatever at a demo and got up to 116mph but all over the place. Same thing with the Hi-bore. I can swing it 900 miles an hour but the face comes through shut, resulting in a 200yd. wormburner. Exact same swing on my 510TP = 270 with 7yd. fade. Go figure.

Both those heads you highlighted have closed faces, while the TP is square or open. You're really not comparing three equal heads.

Try hitting an Ft-3 Tour or a HiBore Tour. That will make this comparison valid.

For what it's worth, Vijay dropped the HiBore because it's too straight and the Ft-3 Tour had the highest ballspeeds of any driver for 2006. So both are obviously winners with the right guy swinging it.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Both those heads you highlighted have closed faces, while the TP is square or open. You're really not comparing three equal heads.

Try hitting an Ft-3 Tour or a HiBore Tour. That will make this comparison valid.

For what it's worth, Vijay dropped the HiBore because it's too straight and the Ft-3 Tour had the highest ballspeeds of any driver for 2006. So both are obviously winners with the right guy swinging it.

R35

Oh, I don't doubt the increased ballspeed. Heck, my swingspeed was 7mph. faster than my R7 quad. Unless that head weighed about 35grams more though I'd hit the same spot once every 25times. I'd be willing to bet the pro's have a hot meld done to these drivers to increase the swingweight.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Oh, I don't doubt the increased ballspeed. Heck, my swingspeed was 7mph. faster than my R7 quad. Unless that head weighed about 35grams more though I'd hit the same spot once every 25times. I'd be willing to bet the pro's have a hot meld done to these drivers to increase the swingweight.

What shaft did it have? That says alot about the playing characteristics of a head. That head weighs the same as say a X460, it just had proprietary weight pushed out in the face rather than throughout the body. It's not "lighter", per se.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What shaft did it have? That says alot about the playing characteristics of a head. That head weighs the same as say a X460, it just had proprietary weight pushed out in the face rather than throughout the body. It's not "lighter", per se.

R35

Your favorite... NV-75X.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Your favorite... NV-75X.

I have a feeling I know why it sucked for you then.

Can you say "noodle"?

What a POS. I suggest you give the Ft-3 a chance with something else - even the stock shaft. You'd at least have a chance of knowing where the head was during any point of your swing.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have a feeling I know why it sucked for you then.

Can you say "noodle"?

What a POS. I suggest you give the Ft-3 a chance with something else - even the stock shaft. You'd at least have a chance of knowing where the head was during any point of your swing.

R35

I've found my shaft. I plan on playing the Speeder 757 till someone proves there is a better shaft on the planet. This one blows anything and everything out of the water by miles. Makes the CompNT 65-X seem about as consistant as Eli Manning in the playoffs.
icon10.gif

BTW- the NV plays soft but 75-X is stiffer than the NT-S, not quite NT-X but not that far off.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I found the X-stiff NV to be softer than a regular Graf Blue. Ridiculously bad.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I found the X-stiff NV to be softer than a regular Graf Blue. Ridiculously bad.

R35

It's all opinion and swing. I cannot hit anything with a bend point lower than under the grip. I would play the NV-X in a fairway wood, I actually sort of liked it. Nothing touches the Speeder though, that driver is accurate like a 3W. Question will no longer be fairway but what quadrant of the fairway soon hopefully.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
I tend to agree. I sold my R7 Quad with the Fuji 757 and have regretted it ever since.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada

Both retail versions:

FT-3 = 198g +/- 2g
R510tp = 198g +/- 2g

🔥 Latest posts