• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway FT-iQ - First Impressions.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Absolutely vomit-inducing.

Honestly, the pictures I saw in magazines made me think this was gonna be one slick driver. The colors, and the carbon-fiberesque accents, even the placement of the logo, are all nice- in theory.

I saw one of these at Dick's Sporting Goods today. I'll describe it as I saw it.

The head is very bland on the bottom. It's tone-less, spray-paint black. It's very boring. It looks like a poor fake of a nice club. It's not deal-breaking ugly from the bottom- but it doesn't have the luster or pop I was expecting.

As the club was pulled out of the box, I noticed the shaft next. It's solid white from the clubhead to about 2/3 of the way up the shaft. White shaft, black head. It looks ridiculously stupid.

Before addressing the club, I could tell that the crown was very silly-looking. It is shaped like a chubby bulldog's ass. It's like there are two fat legs going out to the corners, and the belly of the dog is in between. This thing makes the FT-i look professional. The FT-i is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better looking. The FT-i looks like technology. This thing looks like it came out of Blue's Clues.

The MOST appalling thing, though, is the face angle. The retail version is what I saw, but I have only seen ONE driver, EVER, that was as closed as this. When TM is going toward a more square face (r7 limited, and possibly the 09 burner?) Callaway is gearing up for a generation of golfers who think that a swing is what hangs from a pole on a school playground.

This thing had to be 4* closed, at least. I honestly inspected it to see if the shaft had been compromised somehow in transit. It's absolutely inexcusable to make a standard club with a face angle like this. Some Tommy Armour driver I saw once was the only thing like it. Had to be a cheapie.

I didn't swing it. It was that awful, in every respect. I've come to appreciate the look of the FT-i, but this thing is kidney-curdling. The X-22 irons actually look decent in person until you address them. The FT-iQ, from a mile away, is disaster.

I believe it's starting at $499.99. You can have 'em, fellas. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow if I get over there, and post 'em here tomorrow night.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Honestly, when I saw it, I kinda liked it.

*shrug* I was drinking too then.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Haven't seen one in person but in pics it looks decent.
As far as closed goes, that Nickent I had was probably the most closed face I have seen. Had to be at least 4º if not more like 6º closed.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Not defending it, as I haven't seen it yet, but the non-Tour versions of all Callaway drivers are extremely closed looking. If you're more of a player, you'd be interested in the Tour version, which is square/0.5* open.

The Fubuki is getting rave reviews, I'll decide on it when I swing it. I liked the idea of the VooDoo when it came out, but when I swung it, I was extremely disappointed. The DVS too.

Good review tho. I'd like to hear about some range time before passing complete judgement. So many wrote off the FT-i initially, and it turned alot more heads than expected.

R35

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
Rock, I saw one yesterday over here, and even though most non-tour drivers are closed, this thing would hit it 90* left if you hit it. It's gotta be a hook machine.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
not a chance. the range is only 50yds wide. this thing could hit 300 straight left! and the girlie shafts don't help.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
not a chance. the range is only 50yds wide. this thing could hit 300 straight left! and the girlie shafts don't help.

Not you, Silver. I read 5 paragraphs waiting to see how he hit it and nothing but descriptions of a club I saw 2 months ago.
icon12.gif

BCP1011

Nov 1, 2008
sounds like if I put one of my hooks on that thing the ball would probably hit me in the back of the head.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
my miss is a fade or power fade, I tried a FTi draw hoping it would go straight and the damn thing started drawing. maybe the neautral would have done the trick.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Good review tho. I'd like to hear about some range time before passing complete judgement. So many wrote off the FT-i initially, and it turned alot more heads than expected.

R35

I fail to see how this could be considered a good review when he didn't even hit the club... he's basically stating its ugly and its face is closed...nothing new there

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I fail to see how this could be considered a good review when he didn't even hit the club... he's basically stating its ugly and its face is closed...nothing new there

I think my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

While I respect everyone's opinions (to a point), initial reaction plays alot into whether a club will work for you or not.

I think the FT-i is pretty ugly too, but it hits the ball straight and that's all I need. :D

R35

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Boy, taking pictures really slipped my mind...

Irish, it's really to the point that I could not swing this club. Based on my post-kindergarden level of spatial geometry, there is no way I could hit anything but a 50 yard hook with this club.

You're right though about Cally in general, rock. I took a gander at he FT 3w the other day and it was the same story, though not QUITE as viciously closed.

Confidence is important with a driver. As I said, I don't mind the look of the FT-i. It looks like high-technology when it's sitting in the bag. But everything about the iQ is just wrong. and I'd have to turn the face over substantially just to keep the ball in play with a perfect swing.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'm afraid even the Tour model looked a couple of degrees closed to me at address. I liked the looks of the FTi when it was released but when I saw the FTiQ for the first time I just thought it looked like a POS. I picked up the Tour and took my stance with it and I was not impressed at all, if thats an open face...well it isn't!!! I played on sunday with a lad who had the non tour, 11 degrees with reg fubi shaftl. I didn't bother hitting it as it was total wrong spec for me...(would have been perfect for old man Dave)! even the new owner of it didn't hit it that well.

🔥 Latest posts