• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway FT IQ I-mix Tour Driver

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've had my Ping G10 in the bag for a year and a half and demoed some drivers at our course this summer at "demo day". the Ping i15 and Cobra S2 were the only two that could beat my G10. Callaway was not there. I had previously owned a FTi but it was a disaster for me. Worst driver I've ever owned.

So Dick's puts the FT iq Tour i-mix drivers on sale (like most everyone else) at $149. nututhugame shows up with one last Sunday and was hitting it way longer then his Rapture with the Diamana BB in it. The wheels started turning and I went to get one. nututhugame got his 9.5º with the Speeder 757 stiff shaft in it and it felt a little too stout for this old man. The Diamana BB in my G10 is stiff flex but not very so has been working okay. I ended up with the Mitsubishi Javlnfx V6 stiff shaft in it. I knew nothing about this shaft but according to the specs is supposed to be midhigh-flex, mid-launch and low spin(?). It also is supposed to be tip stiff and I normally don't get along with tip stiff shafts (old man).

MITSUBISHI RAYON / GRAPHITE SHAFTS | JAVLNFX V-SERIES

No driving range testing for me. Took it right out and hit it cold turkey on course with four friends. There was no one on the small muni so they let us go out as a five-some.

First hole is a par 5 (600 yards) that I normally try to hit to the right side of the fairway. I hit this FT IQ right on my line and it was a beautiful boring trajectory and long. It was too long! I hit it (GPS) about 270 and ended up in the brush and had to drop a ball for unplayable lie. Oops. But also wow. :p

Next hole I pulled the crap out of it and was in the par five fairway. Damn. Chalk it up to a bad swing. After a short par 4 (dogleg right) hitting a hybrid came a 260 yard par 4. I hit it even with the hole but just right and they have trees just right. I punched my 3-iron under the trees and found the green but then my putting woes came in. That's another story I won't get into now. :1898_:

Then came a par 4 over a river and over some huge trees on the other bank. I pulled it again but it cleared the tree going left and I was in perfect position right in front of the green! Botched the rest of the shots on that hole and the par 3 after it.

Then another par 5. Cranked it straight down the middle, again 270 (GPS). This is not normal for me. I have been hitting my drives better this year then previous years (about 250 average on the GPS) and this is really impressing me. I thought I had about maxed out my old man ability. Of course when I play with nututhugame I lose about 20 yards just because he has this curse on me. So ignore what he tells you. :)

Last two holes are too short for the driver so over-all, if I can eliminate those pulls this driver will stay in the bag. Now hopefully nututhugame will give a review of his FT IQ I-mix since it's his fault I have mine. :wink:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Don't get rid of your G10 driver too easily WBL. Lee Westwood still plays one. It's still a mighty driver.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
You played a block from my house and didn't tell me? J/K. I like the FT-iq. It has the potential for pulls, and I have also blocked it opening the face just a wee too much in an effort to avoid pulls. I need a little more range and course time with it to get to know it a little better, but it is a beast. I did actually give a mini - review in my other thread about the FT-iq -vs- Dymo. All I can say is this thing eats up my Rapture for dinner on distance. Now I have to play 2 tee boxes back from WBL:D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Don't get rid of your G10 driver too easily WBL. Lee Westwood still plays one. It's still a mighty driver.

TheTrueReview

No way will I get rid of my G10. It's a fairway finder for me.

ll I can say is this thing eats up my Rapture for dinner on distance. Now I have to play 2 tee boxes back from WBL

nututhugame

Still 1 tee box. I've just got a FTiq too, remember?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
But I have only begun my domination and destruction of old grumpy men on the golf course! Muhaha...Muhahahahahahaaaa!

nututhugame

Wait until I get a chest putter and can actually make a putt! :emot-angel: You'll be all done!! :p

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Day two of playing this driver...

Wow. One hole I was 50 yards farther then I've ever been. 50 yards!! Other then one sky shot (that still went 230 yards) I was hitting this club farther then I've ever hit a driver before. This is no BS. I was hitting irons two clubs shorter then I normally hit on just about every hole I used this driver on.

Mongo impressed!!
mongo.jpg
Mongo2.jpg
mongo3.gif

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
WBL, you're not supposed to hit driver on par 3s :p

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
WBL, you're not supposed to hit driver on par 3s :p

TheTrueReview
Mongo "DEpressed"..... :frown:

Took it up north to play with sssmokin. I was crushing it! Maybe he'll comment on it.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Well, mine wasn't a "Tour", but i'll give my assessment of the FT-iq i-mix that I had.

Hot ass face.
Awesome trajectory when coupled with Speeder 757.
Straight as a frickin arrow....
Goes very straight even when you yank it a yardage nearing 3 digits to the left. LeftyHogues warned me about this when I still had an XLS Tour (2* open). He told me IF I were to get an FT-iq, get the tour.
So I got the regular and here we are. I hit my best drive ever with this driver, but not my best drives ever. The Rapture I had was shorter, but at least I KNEW what the ball flight was going to be and which side of the course was out of play for me. With the FT-iq I honestly didn't know if I was going to hit it 300 down the middle or dangerously rocketing through the next fairway over to my left. I hit it to places I couldn't recover from and it added strokes to my game. Sooooo.....

Thanks to WBL getting a FT-iq Tour, in leiu of me getting mine, he loves his and decided to sell me his G10. I wonder... if I had never come to Shottalk and never met WBL, would I be the driver ho that I am today? It's a sickness. I'm rivaling Ezra and WBL, the kings of driver ho-ness.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I got mine I looked and it was the tour model. All the others on the rack were tour models. I was sure yours was too until I just checked and it's not. You must have gotten one of the few that Dick's had that weren't the open faced tour models. Let us know how that G10 works out for you.

I love it when I create more ho's. Let's see... that's ejdahl21, nututhugame and the bomber so far. Oh yeah, I think I turned sssmokin on to this site also.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, but I'm not looking for any drivers. I'm consistently in the fairway with my Dymo, so don't give a crap about being longer. I hit it okay for an old fart. WBL does outdrive me now with the Cally, but I still have beat him on my home course. We haven't played much anywhere since he's been house-hunting in my area. But it's true, he's crushing that new driver. Hitting it straight too.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
What was that e-mail showing me the deals on the top of the line Nike VR STR8-FIT Tour driver?

🔥 Latest posts