• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway FT9 Tour issued head ~ What shaft?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Miada. No way in hell do these shafts play ANYWHERE NEAR the same. Frequency numbers or not the Whiteboard is pure pleasure while hitting an NV brings about the same emotion as stepping in dog shit in your brand new shoes.

I couldn't agree more.

While they may profile the same, the feel and performance is nowhere near the same ballpark. Those two shafts are worlds apart.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I couldn't agree more.

While they may profile the same, the feel and performance is nowhere near the same ballpark. Those two shafts are worlds apart.

R35

Not to try and hijack(not like it matters anyway), but if two shafts can profile exactly the same, yet play 'worlds apart' what is the point in profiling a shaft? Seems as though it tells us nothing as to how the shaft will play. Marketing scheme?

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
For a minute then I was ready to go out to the Green House and remove the NV I have supporting my prize Tomato plant... the search continues.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Not to try and hijack(not like it matters anyway), but if two shafts can profile exactly the same, yet play 'worlds apart' what is the point in profiling a shaft? Seems as though it tells us nothing as to how the shaft will play. Marketing scheme?

No. Materials and construction have alot to do with "feel". The amount (or lack of, for that matter) boron in the tip section, for example, will make a shaft feel softer without necessarily changing it's profile per se. Also, weaving of different layers of a shaft can also make a shaft play decisively "smoother" when it comes to feel.

I've never been a fan of the NV as I'm sure everyone knows, but there is a world of difference in feel between a shaft designed for profile and feel and one designed to fit into a profile of a shaft manufacturers lineup.

R35

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
This is like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Miada. No way in hell do these shafts play ANYWHERE NEAR the same. Frequency numbers or not the Whiteboard is pure pleasure while hitting an NV brings about the same emotion as stepping in dog shit in your brand new shoes.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question was what shafts out there would give a lower launch, at an affordable price, that was similar to the Whiteboard. I actually like the NV, never tried the Diamana so I can't compare, but for most people they are not going to want to dish out $300 bucks for a shaft. As far as not playing the same, Call Matt at Wishon or Jeff Summit from Hireko, 2 guru's when it comes to shaft profiling. See what they have to say about the playability difference of a $300 shaft compared to a $30 when the profile is the same. No question there is a feel difference as some have eluded to because of materials, which of course means a lot for some players. But for 80% of us, after a few swings, the feel has adjusted and results take priority.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Except the NV doesn't give a lower launch to everyone. Very few in my findings actually. I play with a whole heap of guys who use this shaft (for some reason its very popular in Australia, why I'll never know) and every single one of them hits this shaft a mile high. And short as hell too. The Whiteboard was 15-20 yards longer for me than the NV and thats using a 73-X in both in the same driver head. Not to mention dispersion. Theres a reason why good golfers hate the NV. I've talked the majority out of them and their game hasn't looked back.

I'm sorry but I don't care what the profiles say. The BB Solutions was meant to profile exactly the same as one of the Matrix lines (can't remember which one) but people I've spoken to who have hit both will tell you exactly which one they prefer, and it sure isnt the Solutions. The NV is exactly the same deal. Quality materials mean quality performance. And there's no quality in an NV.

Besides this is MG we're talking about here. He'll manage to find a Whiteboard for pennies. :smile: :thumbs up:

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Except the NV doesn't give a lower launch to everyone. Very few in my findings actually. [QUOTE

I'm not going to claim that every shaft is going to play the same to everyone in regards to numbers. But you do have more evidence to the contrary. It's called scientific proof and that is why these guys who profile shafts for a living are adament about the playing characteristics being the same when they profile out the same. Wishon being the biggest critic. But that is a debate you can take up with them as that is what they profoundly address when you start talking shafts. But we know science and golf contradict each other at times. Just look at daddymack's thread in shot talk about getting longer off of the tee for that matter. But I will say for every person that you say hates the shaft and hits it high, I know just as many people who love the shaft and hit low. It's all relative to who you ask. I will agree that the NV can be a finicky shaft if it is put in incorrectly. It has a very hard S1 and a very prominent NBP and if not oriented correctly in the head it will oscillate like no ones business. So unless you have a clubfitter who flatlines the shaft before installing it in the head, you could have wild results. But when it is inserted correctly (I like spiny shafts because when you flat line it it really holds it's line well) it is a very consitent performing shaft. There's a reason why so many pros used it for ever. There are still players who use this shaft on tour. So I kindly disagree that it is as awful as you say it is.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
But when it is inserted correctly (I like spiny shafts because when you flat line it it really holds it's line well) it is a very consitent performing shaft. So I kindly disagree that it is as awful as you say it is.

I spine all my shafts before playing them. NV included. Just never worked AT ALL.

But thats fine, like you said every player is different and science and golf do contradict so you have a valid point. Just trying to bring my (and several others, including many respected members of this forum, opinion) to light to ensure that MG has both sides of the coin. But I dare say he's already played an NV before anyway. My apologies if I came across as abrupt, was certainly not meant that way. All good 3bogey?

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
As well Leftyhoges... We all can be discordant with one another but in the end it's what makes the game so fascinating. The truth of the matter is we are all in the search of the perfect golf club...and unfortunately we will never find it.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
I really think that the NV would do better if they upped the price and changed that sh*tty color. Oh...they did....VooDoo, never mind, it's all good. ;-)

I want to know if anybody has played this head with the stock Z Com Pro 65 and what their opinions are on that STOCK insertion?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I want to know if anybody has played this head with the stock Z Com Pro 65 and what their opinions are on that STOCK insertion?

L,

I played this for an extended period with the ZCOM. It's a great combo, long and straight. However, I couldn't leave it alone and put my F6M2 into it from my FT-i and I've never looked back.

If I had to play the ZCOM 65 in that head, I would not be disappointed. I think I commented somewhere that it was the best OEM combo that I have ever hit.

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
The NV is garbage. Couldn't pay me to play it.

Give a Graman 780 a try. Med/low launch, feels great. Love mine.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I got an NV, and it hits higher than my Fubuki. I liked it the first time I took it out, and then when I used it the last 5 outings, I hated it. It was a much higher launch than I wanted, and I was getting eaten up in the wind.

I have a whiteboard that I pulled and it's in the closet waiting on a tour issued R9 tip I came across...

In the FT-9, I've had magical luck with the Fubuki..That combo is stupid long and easy to control, I just hate the sound of the head. That shaft just seems to fit me really well, mid/high launch, and massive roll out. It's a monster in my R9TP 3-wood in the 73 gram.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.