• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway iron question.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Looked at & swung a few different Callaway irons today. Didn't like the Big Berthas because they are way too much of a SGI with a massive sole. Really liked the looks & feel of both the X20's & the X18's. Currently looking at some X18 pro series, one set has the RCH Pro series M75i graphite shafts in stiff flex. The other set are also stiff flex but have the True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel shafts.

What are plus's or negatives of those 2 shafts. Don't really know why I am even considering these clubs since I really don't need them, just want them.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
DGS300 is the most played iron shaft on tour by a landslide I believe. Steel v Graphite is usually the battle of accuracy v clubhead speed. If you have a moderate swing speed or better there's no real need for graphite in irons. I don't think the RCH is worth anything as is. I played graphite shafts in my irons for a while and it was okay, just unncessary I think.

Steel is tighter for accuracy but may force your clubhead speed down. It will also keep the ball lower in the air than graphite, generally.

I'd go steel.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Was leaning towards the steel, you helped push me over the edge.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
My instructor told me that the steel would produce more consistent striking. I agree with silver go with steel

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i had a set of irons with graphite shafts yrs ago.played them for about 2 yrs. then had them reshafted with DG Gold S300`s.if anything i think i hit them a little farther and straighter.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Ordered the steel shafted version, now I wait impatiently until they arrive, hopefully before I leave for vacation next weekend.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I highly recommend finding a club builder who can spine the shafts for you. In case you don't know what that means, here's a brief summary...

Shafts are not made perfectly; there is an alignment within each shaft that produces the most consistent, symmetrical flexing. If this is aligned properly it will likely make a difference in your ball striking, because your shots will be a lot more predictable. If it is misaligned, your shaft will not flex straight back and straight through as it should, resulting in poor shots despite a solid swing.

If you can't do it before your vacation, certainly do it afterward. I could recommend someone on this board to do it for you if you like. He did mine for me and did a swell job.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't swing hard enough to get the shafts to actually flex:laugh:

Seriously though, I have read about spining quite a bit & it makes sense.
Thanks.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
THREAD JACK

What does the R on the hosel of the X-Tours and X-Forged stand for? And why is it green sometimes?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.