• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review

Feb 9, 2013
Country
United States United States
Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review
By Stogiesnbogies

FYI: I am a senior player with an 85-90 Max swing speed; a 15-17 handicap who plays senior flex shafted clubs. I hit my average drives between 180-200 yards and max out under ideal conditions with a very rare 220 yard "bomb".
biggrin.png

Callaway has produced the lowest compression ball on the market here with a 38 rating. In contrast the Wilson Staff Duo, it's nearest competitor has a 43 compression; the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite at 50, while the Titleist DT So/Lo checks in at 72. (FYI: All slower swing players; perhaps the reason that the Pro V1X does nothing for you or me has something to do with its 102 compression rating!)

In addition to it's softest compression which enhances direction and distance (as well as feel off the club) Callaway has produced a soft, responsive cover. The soft core and soft cover combine with HEX aerodynamics to produce a golf ball that reduces spin and adds distance.

I absolutely love this ball as it combines the best aspects of both the Wilson Staff Duo and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite without any of their liabilities. For example the Callaway Super Soft has great distance like the duo but much better feel off the putter.

I find the super soft to be straighter and consequently a tad longer than the Fifty Elite as well. It performs great around the greens with approach shots that sit and pitches and chips that run true. It feels and sounds great off of all club faces. It has proven to be quite durable as well as I played 2 full rounds with one ball and it still looks fine; no scuffs, scratches or cuts.

Callaway definitely has a winner here for a large piece of the golfing market- namely seniors, most women and others with slower swing speeds. It is available in white or yellow (I tested white) and is well priced at 18 -20 dollars per dozen much like its market competitors, the Wilson Staff Duo and Titleist DT So/Lo. All good balls but I'm bagging the Callaway Super Softs Now!!

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Ask Isaac Newton

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Ever hit a super ball with a driver. No way you can hit a golf ball as far as that squishy, soft rubber ball.

Last edited:
OP
stogiesnbogies
Feb 9, 2013
Country
why doesnt a soft ball just waste energy?

Apparently Bridgestone R & D got it right: In order to crush the ball you've got to compress it.

Slower swing speeds such as mine and most other amateurs simply can not compress Tour balls like the Titleist V1 and V1X consequently tee shots tend to become big bananas ...with a proper ball for my swing speed I not only vastly reduce fade but consequently add up to ten extra yards to my drives.....at 20 bucks a dozen they are simply the best ball targeting the vast majority of amateurs presently available on the market today.

BTW: You may have noticed that recent Titleist ads are demonstrating some concern about this fact by having PGA Tour players saying that your ball doesn't know your handicap.....performance is for everyone etc. But the key piece to these ads is when Westwood says that the ball will do exactly what I want "provided you hit it correctly"....ah, there's the rub as slower swing speeds actually can't "hit it correctly" LOL

OP
stogiesnbogies
Feb 9, 2013
Country
Ask Isaac Newton

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Ever hit a super ball with a driver. No way you can hit a golf ball as far as that squishy, soft rubber ball.

Apparently Titleist , the "#1 Ball In Golf" is starting to feel the effects of Newton's and Bridgestone's R&D as evidenced by their somewhat defensive new ads.....my personal experience and that of many other amateurs is that for our swing speeds, softer is better ...and longer too!

As I mention in my review, there are other very good low compression balls which include Wilson Staff Fifty Elite, and Wilson Staff Duo ( I'm not thrilled with how Duo putts however).

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Hmm..Im not a buyer on the physics yet. Things that are tougher, say an airplane wing, flex and return true, but thats to absorb shock not transfer it... Im getting the impression that you are saying you can bend a material without energy loss. Materials dont return that much energy as a percent.

I like a hard ball with a soft polyurethane cover for greenside play. The feel of a 250 yard drive is different than the feel of a 15 yard flop. I hit harder balls farther than soft ones, including the duo.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I have decent swing speed but still prefer the feel of a softer ball. Taylormade penta TP3's are my favorite so far. I swear they are longer than the pro V1. They spin just as well on chips as well.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah I gave up the pro v. My favs were the tm polyurethanes for a bit. I think they changed them again though.

OP
stogiesnbogies
Feb 9, 2013
Country
Hmm..Im not a buyer on the physics yet. Things that are tougher, say an airplane wing, flex and return true, but thats to absorb shock not transfer it... Im getting the impression that you are saying you can bend a material without energy loss. Materials dont return that much energy as a percent.

I like a hard ball with a soft polyurethane cover for greenside play. The feel of a 250 yard drive is different than the feel of a 15 yard flop. I hit harder balls farther than soft ones, including the duo.

Have you hit the Callaway Super Soft or Wilson Staff Fifty Elite?

I trust my own experience and for me both of these balls are great. Distance and feel off club face...
Different horses for different courses but if you check out any website and read reviews of the Cally Super Soft you'll be hard pressed to find a negative comment....

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Golf ball speed is up to 1.5 times club head speed though. That tells me that there is a gain in energy. Not only does the ball flatten out when stuck it expands outward and becomes oblong as it leaves the face before returning to its original shape. If it had a loss like the airplane wing you would never be able to putt because it would be left with a flat spot from everytime you struck it.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
you create energy with the shot? Not hardly. what you did is more like run hosepipe water through a littler hole. Increase in velocity, same energy, smaller mass.

Yeah I have hit fifties.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
How is hitting an object with essentially a titanium mallet not applying force to an object? The force applied is then added to by the characteristics of the ball and the trampoline effect of the face of the driver.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online