• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway X Forged Questions

MTK

Pin High off the green...
Oct 4, 2007
I got a set of these and have been playing them for a few weeks now. I hit them pretty well and can shape my shots better than ever, but I've got an issue and was wondering what you guys know on it.

Here's the specs: Callaway X forged Irons 2-PW, Project X 7.0 shafts +1 over standard....(same shafts I've hit forever now...).

Problem: while straighter and more consistent, the distance is crappy. I've lost a good 20yds plus on each iron and for the life of me I can't seem to play it out. I've tried adjusting the ball position in my stance. I've tried different swings etc.....

I used to hit my 6 (in pretty much every club I've ever hit) about 180 yds, now I'm lucky to get 160 out of it. I'm also getting less distance with wind behind me, but more with the wind to the side???????

I have noticed that these seem to balloon a bit on me. Would a loft adjustment help? Meaning, could I have them adjusted to get a lower trajectory?

Don't get me wrong, the spin is amazing, but it's all backspin with very little forward roll or kick...

I've heard people have had similar problems with them...but I just haven't ever had an iron lose distance like these. I'd love to keep them because of the consistency, feel and shot shaping ability, not to mention they look great, but if I am having to hit a 7 iron from 135 yds, it just won't do.....

Oh, I've tried 6.5's, 6.0's and even 5.5's with little to no difference....

Thanks,

MT

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
You're ballooning Pro X 7.0? Uhm, holy poop.

My advice? Get a couple of 5 degree component heads, some XXXX shafts, go join the LDA.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The X Forged are already a bit stronger than other player's irons. As far as the S9 irons that you had, these lofts are a lot stronger than the X Forged, so that could explain the distance loss.

OP
MTK

MTK

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, I haven't had those S9 irons for a while now, but I just never changed that........

Those S9's were probably the most "juiced" irons I've ever played.

For a while, I've been hitting Callaway X-20 Tour irons and Cobra Carbon CB irons. Those 2 were very similar and the distance was equal, the shot shaping just never was what I wanted.

I've been a 5 handicap for a while, and I guess I'm just trying to lower that by better equipment, we all know how that goes.....

MT

Release

Mar 2, 2008
If you have been hitting the same shaft and same set up for awhile now there is no reason to have a 20 yards differencial.
(1) have the loft checked to see if there are the same between sets.
(2) did you get these X forged from an authorized dealer? The other possibility is the set is a counterfeit as we all know the counterfeits for the Callaways and the Taylormde were flooding the internet market.
Hopefully this is not the case but I suspect it would be.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Myself and a guy I play with got rid of ours 'cos we felt we were losing distance and ballooning the ball too much.

OP
MTK

MTK

Oct 4, 2007
Yep, they're authentic. They came from a very well reputed dealer.

I did check the specs on the Callaway site, and the 7 iron is lofted at 35 degrees. Standard is 36 - 40 degrees, so there's no reason it should balloon like this, but they are.

If I don't sweep the ball and hit a tiny bit thin, it plays the correct distance and a true loft, but if I sweep the ball and take even a tiny divot, it's way up in the air.

I just don't get these. 2-5 iron play where they should, but 6-9 are sucking ass.....

MT

bwalker19

CPGA Professional
Feb 18, 2008
I know you checked the website for the lofts, but take them to your pro shop or local store and get the lofts checked. I currently play these irons and actually find them to be the longest irons i've ever hit. i also have the 7.0's, +1/2" 2*upright.

however when i first got them, i was hitting the 6 iron about 210 and the 7 iron like 185. i put them on a machine and the 6 iron was 1.5* stronger than listed and the 7 iron was 1* weaker than listed. I had to have the 6 iron weakened the and 7 and 8 iron bumped up to be stronger. now i've got the 6 iron right at 200 and the 7 iron at 190.

let me know if you have any other issues with them once you get the lofts checked, because as far as i'm concerned, they are the best club i've ever played.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Callaway like Adams did with the Black golds has gone and double soft stepped the PX shafts in all their irons. So your 7.0 will actually play around 6.3 on the rifle scale.

They should post this info and make it known. You are just one of many people who have this very problem.

poirierpro

Mar 21, 2008
Callaway like Adams did with the Black golds has gone and double soft stepped the PX shafts in all their irons. So your 7.0 will actually play around 6.3 on the rifle scale.

They should post this info and make it known. You are just one of many people who have this very problem.

So if one orders a set of Callaway X-Forged irons from Callaway with PX 6.5(standard) shafts they well come soft stepped? Is that right?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.