• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway X-Tour Wedge

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
You know I have to say upfront that I do not for the most part like Callaway equipment. It is boxy looking and for the most part uninteresting to me. This includes the drivers, wedges, and even putters. I also have the additional problem that I am anal about stuff and prefer to have everything in my bag match (as is evidenced bag by the bag in my signature). However, I went today to Golfsmith to originally pick up a RAC TP Satin wedge in 56/12 as the fairways of the course I play are a bit fluffy and it is unlikely that they will cut them anytime soon so I though a little more bounce was in order. I took my 2 month old daughter with me so thought that I would run in and run out. When I got there she was asleep and they were having a Callaway day so I thought I would try a few wedges just to see how good my current choice was. I picked up a standard Vokey, a spin milled vokey, the TM RAC TP, and for grins and giggles an X-Tour Forged wedge.

I hit all three for probably 20 minutes varying the types of shots I did. The Vokey's and TM wedge were all crisp and performed well however to my surprise the X-Tour was butter soft and I was even able to back a ball from the back wall all the way back to me on their extended indoor range (about 25 feet long). I do so love forged irons. So now I am in a total state of Cognitive Dissonance because I have all TM clubs (except for my Cameron Putter) and this...this...Callaway wedge in the bag. This is going to drive me crazy especially since I have a TM Staff bag but I'll be damned if that Cally isn't one of the best wedges I've ever hit.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
you TM betrayer...

nice pickup though... if you hit it well, there should be no problem... which satin tp are you getting rid of? i might want the 52, but id bet you arent selling either...

OP
cyberious

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
I'll let you know if I do decide to sell it. I swear next to the Cally though the TM's feel like I am hitting rocks.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
So did you settle on the 56/12 wedge?

I've heard good things about that wedge, the pro at my local just tried to sell me one and he's a real die hard Ping guy.:thumbs up:

OP
cyberious

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah actually it was the 56/13. It's a great wedge.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
You might want to change your sig while your at it. I think I'll try the 56 next time I'm out. I'd hate to bust up my Cleveland trio but if I can get the same back spin you've got out of a 56 I'd do it in a heart beat!:laugh:

OP
cyberious

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
You might want to change your sig while your at it. I think I'll try the 56 next time I'm out. I'd hate to bust up my Cleveland trio but if I can get the same back spin you've got out of a 56 I'd do it in a heart beat!:laugh:

I have to test it on the course prior to it gaining its permanent place. Same thing with my Burner Driver. I need to play it a couple of more times before I replace the r7425. It is promising though. I think what I liked most is that it was forged and butter soft. I thought I was hitting those soft practice balls when I was testing it out (they were actually a combination of Cally HX Tour and Rock-flites).

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Well I tried the 60 degree lob wedge today, very nice feel and look. It really stopped the ball in it's tracks, more back spin than my Cleveland lob but I'll have to try it a few more times before committing.

:smilie_cl

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I dont like to put any backspin on the ball but with these wedges its a little hard not too, this of course throws off your distances since the backspin gives you a higher ballflight and decreased distance before landing on the green and either stopping or pulling back. I usually play my 54* and 60* X Tour Vintages about 10 yards shorter than my previous Cleveland RTG's. Of course if you are playing some hard distance balls the spin doesnt have as much effect on them since distance balls do not compress as much as a players ball since they do not stay on the face or catch grooves like a softer ball.

🔥 Latest posts