• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway X-Tour wedges

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Seeing as I admitted to ho-ing one of these in another thread, I thought I'd sing its praises in a thread of its own!

I saw one of these in Golf Galaxy the other weekend - 60* in vintage finish with 11* of bounce and the custom 'Mack Daddy' grooves - for just $30 despite being in great condition and showing no real wear, so thought I'd grab it just to see how it worked. Being a big fan of my Vokeys I wasn't sure how it would go, but figured it might be OK to displace my 60* Cleveland 588RS that I've been using exclusively for bunker shots.

So I went out for a round with Greydawg carrying my new wedge, but waited a while to get a chance to use it. In the end I got a chance with a perfect shot of about 60yds that would allow me to put a less-than-full swing on the club but still hit it hard enough for the grooves to grab, so I could see what the hype was about.

Bear in mind that I *have* got the ball to spin back a few times with the Vokeys, but my usual shot is a 'one hop and stop' with my wedges, or on less receptive greens to get a little roll-out after it lands. So I took a good swing off the fairway with the Callaway and went up to the uphill green to have a look...

When I got there I found the biggest pitch mark I've ever seen sat roundabout where I would want to ball to land for my normal shot. The ball was sitting a good 4ft back behind the pitch mark with a VERY scuffed cover on it. I have never, ever hit a shot like it and got the ball to spin back that much.

I still love my Vokeys in the 52* and 56* models I carry, but am growing to love this X-Tour wedge. I had a couple of sessions at the range with it, and even with range balls I'm having to clean the grooves every couple of shots to get all the cover material out of them that's being left in there. What's impressing me more is how well the sole works too - this is the highest bounce club I play with, but it just glides through the turf and I'd not come close to hitting one thin yet.

This wedge, and those grooves, are the real deal for anyone looking for more spin. If you already spin the ball well, I can't imagine how much damage these must do to the ball!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Nice story Sandy.

I had a 52 degree with the normal grooves and a 58 mack daddy last season. My 1st ever shot with the 58 was from about 25 yards and the ball bounced forward once and then spun back, I couldn't believe it. The problem I had was controlling the amount of spin. They both felt great and stuck around in my bag for quite a while (for me). If they did the MD grooves on the lower lofted one's then I'd be tempted to go back for a 50 degree gap wedge. MD's on a pitching/gap wedge would be great for one hop & stop control although you'd go through alot of balls with them.

Jun 24, 2006
People are really pimping the 60º Mack Daddies.

I would have got some but I couldn't handle the amount of bounce on them. Way to much for me.

OP
Sandy

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I would have got some but I couldn't handle the amount of bounce on them. Way to much for me.

Try them and you'd be surprised - the two versions with the 'Mack Daddy' grooves also feature the special Phil Mickelson sole grind, which gives a concave sole where the leading edge is lowered for hitting off the fairway but just opening them up slightly or hitting off a fluffy lie brings the back of the sole into play and the bounce is there.

I was astonished at how well they played off tight lies given the bounce - that 11* of bounce feels like a lot less than the 8* on my old 58* TM RAC!

🔥 Latest posts