• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway X tour wedges.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Designed by wedge guru Rodger Cleveland my 52* X tour gap wedge is currently my longest serving club in the bag with roughly 6 months service, not a lot I know but I'm a club Ho and this is the one club I've never thought about changing (much).

The club is forged and mine is of the vintage finish. I like the anti-glare look it's kind of like the oil can but without quite as much rust. The looks of the club are to die for, it has a high rounded toe and sligtly rounded leading edge that ozzes class. The grind of the sole allows you to open or shut the face and offers more versatility to play different types of shots from different lies. The club also scores well in the control department due to it's butter like forged feel and the good amount of spin it provides. My short game has improved so much this year and I put that mainly down to having this wedge which has made practicing my short game fun again. It's helped fill me with confidence to play shots with the feel & control that I wouldn't have been able to attempt in the past. It's safe to say that this is my favorite club in the bag (at the moment).

I have Titleist Vokey spin milled sand & lob wedges, but the feel offered by the X tour is so much better that I'm mulling over the idea of replacing them with a 58 degree X tour with the Mack Daddy grooves.

So if your looking for a new wedge then make sure you give the Callaway X tour a look, as i say it's designed by wedge guru Rodger Cleveland so you can't go far wrong. ;)

MG.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I need new wedges... I'll make note to take a look at the Callys in the spring. I'm thinking spin milled vokeys, another set of 588, or the X Tour

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I need new wedges... I'll make note to take a look at the Callys in the spring. I'm thinking spin milled vokeys, another set of 588, or the X Tour

I've picked up the 58 degree with Mack Daddy grooves to replace my spin milleds. I've done my back in so I'm not playing at the moment but I'm gonna take my Vokeys and the new Cally down to the practice area to compare the spin you get from each model. I know for a fact that the Cally's feel a hell of a lot better than Vokeys but the spin milled do what they say on the tin, Spin. So it may be spin over feel but the MD grooves are supposed to spin a lot too. I will let you know asap.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I'll just put in my $0.02 USD.

I actually didn't like the feel of the X-Tours. I found them to be a bit harsh, and the spin wasn't that great. I owned the satin finish wedge, however, so maybe that was a factor. I also found the weight of the club to be uncomfortable. However, this is only my friendly opinion, so take it for what it's worth. :)

On the other hand, I find the Vokey SM to be more to my liking. The feel is nice in my hands, and the size of the clubhead looks right to my eye.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'll just put in my $0.02 USD.

I actually didn't like the feel of the X-Tours. I found them to be a bit harsh, and the spin wasn't that great. I owned the satin finish wedge, however, so maybe that was a factor. I also found the weight of the club to be uncomfortable. However, this is only my friendly opinion, so take it for what it's worth. :)

On the other hand, I find the Vokey SM to be more to my liking. The feel is nice in my hands, and the size of the clubhead looks right to my eye.

I guess it horses for causes. I would say the same but the other way round. The X tour's are forged out of soft carbon 1025 steel not sure what the Vokeys are but I don't think there forged? I must admit I didn't really notice till I hit my gap wedge and my friends oil can gap wedge on the same hole and his just felt clunky to me. I know that the X tours grooves will wear quicker because of how soft the metal is but I will be replace them after about 18 months.

BTW, I played again today and the Mack Daddy 58 degree wedge spins more than the SM's.. I still can't get my head round the amout of spin it produces, I got the ball to zip backwards on a 15 yard shot yesterday. Today I had more of the same. I played one of the best recovery shots I've ever hit today. I went for the green on our short 15th just pulled it into the trees just left of the green. When I got to my ball it was sat in 4 inch wet grass, I had some branches about 5 yards in front of me and about 5 ft high that I had to go under. Then there's a bunker which I had short sided myself behind which i had to carry. The pin was cut about 8 ft onto the green, total distance about 15yrds. I put my hands forward to get it under the branch. I was looking at landing it about 2 ft on the green but I over hit it and it landed about 7 ft onto the green one bounce and a little side spin to about a foot and a half. WOW.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
6 months? thats not hardly anytime considering, depending upon where you live, you may not have been playing much at all for the last two.

my longest are my irons. They have been in the bag for 2 and a half years.

Ezra, whats the longest time a driver has spent in you bag?

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
6 months? thats not hardly anytime considering, depending upon where you live, you may not have been playing much at all for the last two.

my longest are my irons. They have been in the bag for 2 and a half years.

Ezra, whats the longest time a driver has spent in you bag?

seven months i've actually had it and I've averaged about 5 rounds a week up until november and maybe 3 rounds a week since so that's a lot of golf with it. This will be staying as a permanant fixture in my bag for a good while yet though.

Big_Bang

They call me Tater Salad
Dec 27, 2006
I tried the Callys', but I personally prefer my Feel PB! The X tours are my second choice, however.

tachus

Jan 27, 2007
i have to get a new 60 degree. i recently purchased four knockoff wedges. i use the 60 degree so much that its getting worn down after a couple months of use. i want to get a callaway x tour, cuz it looks to be a longer lasting wedge. does anybody have this wedge and if so, does it last???

🔥 Latest posts