• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Calling all avid Gun owners if there are any

Status
Not open for further replies.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
This will sound old fashioned but the degradation of society is directly linked to the degradation of the family. It is much less a matter of laws and availability of weapons and much more a matter of a poor raising and an ever poorer self worth.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
bames said: This will sound old fashioned but the degradation of society is directly linked to the degradation of the family. It is much less a matter of laws and availability of weapons and much more a matter of a poor raising and an ever poorer self worth.

Well said!!! Absolutely correct.:)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wish I had never read this thread. It's turning into bloody politics, i.e. Bames, because every solid argument against it is precisely that, politics.

Whether I agree or not isn't the point, this is getting dangerous. Debates on forums such as this are silly and pointless to me. Why? Because all it does is create distance between people. Frankly...I like everyone one of you(besides Ezra, :D) and really don't want to know how you stand politically

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I can argue religion!! I'm currently a pretty rotten Catholic and have previously been Lutheran, Congregational and a couple others I've forgotten (all depending on where I lived or who I was married to). My cousin has a Doctoriate in Theology (Notre Dame) and is a retired Episcopalian Priest. He's also married and is the coolest guy on the planet. Nah, better not argue this. I'm really not good at it.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
...Now then, religion......!!! ;)

Wouldn't that be a thread - I can't even imagine!

I think that as long as there exists people who have a minimum of two brain cells that they can rub together and produce a thought there will exist opinions and that is a very healthy sign. ShotTalk would not exist without said people!

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Debates on forums such as this are silly and pointless to me. Why? Because all it does is create distance between people.

Quoted for truth.

Does anyone here even remember the question asked by the original poster; or the group to which he posed the question?

Rosma,
Since I am included in the group you addressed in your subject line, I will make a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

Most shooting ranges will have rental weapons that you can try. I recommend that you talk to the owner and fire a few different types until you find one that feels best to you. What would be right for me might not suit you at all. Not so different than golf clubs in that respect. :)

Prices for handguns will vary widely from region to region, so you need to do your homework in your area. Again, the manager of the range can be helpful in this regard. He might even know if some of his other customers have a weapon for sale. Yes, there are firearms ho's, just like there are golf club ho's.

Beretta builds a quality product; but they certainly aren't the only choice out there. You will find some handguns that are built exclusively for the target shooter and others that are built primarily for self defense. It gets even more complicated to make a choice when you recognize that there is a myriad of "crossovers" between the two extremes.

Caliber is pretty much a personal choice depending upon your perceived needs/use of the weapon. Once again, talk to people who own different weapons and get their views. The final decision, though, will be yours. You must decide what you feel is best for you.

I do most of my practice at the range with a .22 caliber simply because the ammunition is cheaper. However, I will not even consider a handgun for self defense unless the caliber begins with a "4".

As others have so aptly pointed out, the gun is a tool that was originally developed with one purpose in mind. It performs that purpose very well; and the results can often be tragic if misused or mishandled.

Knowledge of weapons includes much more than just learning to launch bullets at things. Sign up for any firearms safety courses that are available to you. I suspect that you don't own a gun safe, so you should, as a minimum, buy a trigger lock for your handgun. Never store your weapon where others may find it, especially children who may be in your house or apartment.

Stay safe, shoot responsibly, enjoy.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
This must be about the only thread when I've been in agreement with Rock the Pinko.

The absolute lunacy that pervades U.S. mentality with gun ownership defies any train of logic I can think of. Guns are the problem, not the solution.

America - you can own a gun but Janet Jackson can't flash a booby, you can't swear on television, people get arrested for wearing anti-war t-shirts....

Jeez...some fecked up priorities, people.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
This must be about the only thread when I've been in agreement with Rock the Pinko.

The absolute lunacy that pervades U.S. mentality with gun ownership defies any train of logic I can think of. Guns are the problem, not the solution.

America - you can own a gun but Janet Jackson can't flash a booby, you can't swear on television, people get arrested for wearing anti-war t-shirts....

KA, I assume that an intelligent person like you has read Marshall McLuhan, thus understands that it is the information we have which defines our understanding of cultural phenomena. Many people around the world believe, like you, that many, if not most Americans that own guns are trigger-happy lunatics (your word) just waiting for the opportunity to blast someone into the hearafter. The FACT is that most gun owners are responsible citizens who own guns for three main purposes:

1. Protect themselves and their families from the two-legged cockroaches that infest our society and think nothing of harming or killing us for nothing at all. A properly armed, practiced, and educated populace is a powerful deterrent to those a$$holes.

2. Hunting.

3. Target shooting. Mostly as a means to improve one skills for the above two endeavours.

I own many guns, and have the right in Florida to carry one with me, and in no way could I be considered a lunatic. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy the sense of improved security that I feel having a weapon with me that can help prevent the death of another human being. I do not carry a gun for the purpose of proving my manhood, or in anticipation of the chance to use it. I dread the day that I would need to shoot someone to protect my family from harm, but I am prepared to do so.

A security expert who teaches firearms classes once said that there are basically three things each of us can be: a wolf, a sheep, or a sheepdog. A bit simplistic, I agree, but the point is a good one. Responsible armed citizens are protectors.

We are all prejudiced about the cultural differences between us. I may not understand the rituals and practices of people in countries like Thailand, Zimbabwe, or Japan. But I don't call them lunatics, and I do at least try to remember that I don't see the whole picture; I don't have all the information, and I never will. With all due respect, perhaps you might try to understand the same.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
1. Protect themselves and their families from the two-legged cockroaches that infest our society and think nothing of harming or killing us for nothing at all. A properly armed, practiced, and educated populace is a powerful deterrent to those a$$holes.
I dread the day that I would need to shoot someone to protect my family from harm, but I am prepared to do so.
A security expert who teaches firearms classes once said that there are basically three things each of us can be: a wolf, a sheep, or a sheepdog.

Give me a big Hooah.
Bordie Collie.jpg

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
KA, I assume that an intelligent person like you has read Marshall McLuhan, thus understands that it is the information we have which defines our understanding of cultural phenomena. Many people around the world believe, like you, that many, if not most Americans that own guns are trigger-happy lunatics (your word) just waiting for the opportunity to blast someone into the hearafter. The FACT is that most gun owners are responsible citizens who own guns for three main purposes:

2. Hunting.

3. Target shooting. Mostly as a means to improve one skills for the above two endeavours.

I own many guns, and have the right in Florida to carry one with me, and in no way could I be considered a lunatic. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy the sense of improved security that I feel having a weapon with me that can help prevent the death of another human being. I do not carry a gun for the purpose of proving my manhood, or in anticipation of the chance to use it. I dread the day that I would need to shoot someone to protect my family from harm, but I am prepared to do so.

A security expert who teaches firearms classes once said that there are basically three things each of us can be: a wolf, a sheep, or a sheepdog. A bit simplistic, I agree, but the point is a good one. Responsible armed citizens are protectors.

We are all prejudiced about the cultural differences between us. I may not understand the rituals and practices of people in countries like Thailand, Zimbabwe, or Japan. But I don't call them lunatics, and I do at least try to remember that I don't see the whole picture; I don't have all the information, and I never will. With all due respect, perhaps you might try to understand the same.

Mmmmmust resist urge to counter.......... flaws in argument becoming more apparent........... gaaawd this is killing me!

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Wow ... now that's a first for me... I've read thru every message on the 8 pages... just wondering how you would classify the the militia groups e.g Michigan ?

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005

The easier it is to get a gun, the more gun crime there will be. I can't fathom what is so hard to understand about that.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The easier it is to get a gun, the more gun crime there will be. I can't fathom what is so hard to understand about that.

Honest citizens need a gun in their home to protect themselves and their families from home invasion.

I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts