• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Calling all avid Gun owners if there are any

Status
Not open for further replies.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
FACT: Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:
11,789 people in the United States

R35

From the national institute of mental health:
In 2000, suicide was the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S. Specifically, 10.6 out of every 100,000 persons died by suicide. The total number of suicides was 29,350, or 1.2 percent of all deaths. Suicide deaths outnumber homicide deaths by five to three.

Rock, you are correct in general - America has real problems. More people kill themselves - (29,350), than are murdered (16,700 in 2005).
more of us will kill ourselves than kill someone else. ???? Like you Rock. a lot of it I just dont get. But like most of us, that wont stop me from expressing my opinion :) :)

Is it the guns ? or is it the people?? Kinda like thinking a new driver will solve a slice, the problem being the club and not the golfer?

Out of respect to Sling will leave it at that here, Might like to take it farther on the members side, and get a bit political/cultural.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Doug,

Good post.

I would like to point out that (obviously) this is just my opinion, which carries little weight in the big scheme of things.

I have zero political aspirations behind my feelings on this either, nor am I questioning or critiquing Americans as a whole.

It's really the same as anything - a few ruin it for many.

Do whatever you want (not just you Doug...lol). Just don't come crying to me for sympathy when something happens.

R35

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
statistic's bunk, when applied to the individual

there have been times when a firearm has either prevented a felony rape, battery, or homocide, or has stopped a feloney in progress. for that one prepared and lucky person, all those statistics are meaningless as are to those who wish'd they were prepared and lucky. luck favors the prepared.

there was time i was glad to have been somewhat prepared with my heafty sidearm when a large black bear got too close, in the middle of the night, to our tent in a very remote campsite in the wilderness. like having insurance, allowed us to sleep better at night. btw, on subsequent trips i brought along a long arm instead, few extra pounds does provide even better rest.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I have to make this comment purely from a mathematical standpoint. Percentages are a tough argument due to the fact that the base numbers creating said percentages changes per country.

For example: US Population 300,000,000
Canada's Population 30,000,000
UK Population 60,000,000

anyway a country with a dramatically larger pool will obviously pull larger percentages.

HOWEVER, I do not disagree that many portions of the US are in a serious world of hurt due to the easy access of firearms.

We all just need to move to North Dakota...wait stay where you are...let's leave ND full of ice, pheasants, and my dad's golf course!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Yet you don't think people in general are too damn stupid to drive cars? You should come drive in the Northeast US sometime. And to think, these idiots go out and buy 2 or 3 of them. What, you really need 3 cars to get to work.

As stupid as people are, it would be much easier to do away with the roads and make everyone move to within walking distance of work.

You're just being silly now.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
If you ban guns from citizens, the criminals will have them or get them from somewhere. Remember, they don't follow the laws.

So now you have criminals with guns and good citizens without?

And these criminals know you don't have guns!

This is why they should never have been available to the public in the first place because guess what, criminals make up a large part of "the public".

At first it would be intimidating if you have become accustomed to having a gun for purposes of self defence but if you have less of a short term view you could then see that there would be fewer in circulation, the police could then concentrate their efforts on removing the remainder rather than being distracted by the odd nutter going on a shooting spree.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Last post for now on this but I do so enjoy good heated debate LOL

I doubt there are any stat's to back this up but what would you imagine the numbers are when you compare:

A- The number of people who have saved a life by having a gun at home.

B- The number of people who have committed a crime because they had access to a gun at home?

I'd start a poll but I can't see there being many votes for "A".

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I just wouldn't want to live in a place where I felt I needed to defend my existence.R35

I think that if we Americans could get your fact sheet and distribute it worldwide, it will help us solve our massive immigration problem. Polls across the U.S. from coast to coast indicate that Americans everywhere consider it to be one of the top 5 issues facing the country.

We are being overrun with people from across the globe that mistakenly believe they can find a better life in America.

Somehow - strangely - millions of people across the globe want to live here, in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Immigration both legal and illegal from Muslims to Jews to Hindus and Buddists to Asians, Europeans, Latinos and the Indian sub-continent all are flocking here.

If we can get these facts out to them, about the fact that we all drive along in our cars with guns blazing, perhaps they will come to their senses and stay where they are...a much safer country with more economic opportunities than what they will find here.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004

Rock, that's an anti-gun acitivist organization. I know you don't live here but with that type of group there is no credibility. No different than listening to Jerry Farwell talking about abortion statistics.

With extremists, on either side of an issue, there is always someone that will tell you what you want to hear. The real facts say that since the passage of our handgun law violent crime has gone way down.

Since we can't get the handguns away from the criminals the best we can do is protect ourselves from them. Not surprisingly, to me at least, it turns out that criminals are afraid of people with guns.

I still don't plan on getting one but I understand why some people do.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I think that if we Americans could get your fact sheet and distribute it worldwide, it will help us solve our massive immigration problem. Polls across the U.S. from coast to coast indicate that Americans everywhere consider it to be one of the top 5 issues facing the country.

We are being overrun with people from across the globe that mistakenly believe they can find a better life in America.

Somehow - strangely - millions of people across the globe want to live here, in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Immigration both legal and illegal from Muslims to Jews to Hindus and Buddists to Asians, Europeans, Latinos and the Indian sub-continent all are flocking here.

If we can get these facts out to them, about the fact that we all drive along in our cars with guns blazing, perhaps they will come to their senses and stay where they are...a much safer country with more economic opportunities than what they will find here.

good one Bravo :) Also, don't people know that global warming was started here and we will be the first ones to all die horrible deaths from it? just another reason for people to stop coming here.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
good one Bravo :) Also, don't people know that global warming was started here and we will be the first ones to all die horrible deaths from it? just another reason for people to stop coming here.

Great Point!!

America - The Great Satan - originator of all that is evil, is causing Global Warming...

We need to put this in the Fact Sheet too!

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
ok now I'm just waiting for this thread to get locked...

I wonder what it's like in the famous ST bunker :)

As far as the original question: my dad who's a police officer bought my mom a .45 for self-defense like a decade ago and she likes it. So far she's only shot 4 people, all of whom deserved it for one reason or another. just kidding, she has only used it on a shooting range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online